Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Help me with my Chemex technique
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
afk314

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 5:32am
Subject: Help me with my Chemex technique

Hi all,

Quite an exciting day today as it was the first use of my new Baratza Virtuoso grinder for the morning cup.  For the last year I have was using a KitchenAid Pro Line grinder which frustrated me to no end with its uneven grind.  The Baratza is superior in every way, but I'm a little lost in the woods.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Note: I'm not going to spell everything out - so things like filter washing, water temp, etc, are all accounted for and consistent from brew to brew.  

1. 50g light roast  (generally) coffee.  Ground today at 30/40 on the Virtuoso.  First try was at 20/40 and was much too fine (slow).  20/40 looked like a good starting place for a cone pour-over.  
  2. Desired output is 900ml of coffee
  3. Generally keep the water level at the coffee level - I don't submerge the grinds and try to match the input flow to the output flow via a spouted kettle.  

Today's batch ran in at about 5:45.  It starts off brewing beautifully - up until about 500ml (50g, roughly) of water have passed through the coffee, I get a nice steady stream.  After 500ml, everything slows way down.  If it take me 2:15 to get to 500ml, it'll take 3:30 to gain the additional 400ml.  I always assumed this was primarily due to the fact that the kitchenaid grinder produced so many fines- that my filter became clogged up at the cone tip.  Today's grind from the Baratza looked noticeably better than anything the kitchenaid would do, but coarse grinds are difficult and there were still fines around.  So, although I have a better grind, I'm still faced with the problem that has annoyed me for months.

So, my first question is this - am I simply trying to brew too much coffee in a 6 cup chemex?  Anyone else out there shooting for somewhere around one liter?  Anyone else using a Virtuoso (with Preciso burrs) on a big pot of chemex?  If so, what grind setting are you using?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Adam
 View Profile Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 5:22pm
Subject: Re: Help me with my Chemex technique

You might want to try the inverted Chemex technique.

Oh wait, is it past April 1 already?

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 5:38pm

afk314 Said:

So, my first question is this - am I simply trying to brew too much coffee in a 6 cup chemex?  Anyone else out there shooting for somewhere around one liter?  Anyone else using a Virtuoso (with Preciso burrs) on a big pot of chemex?  If so, what grind setting are you using?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

Posted April 3, 2013 link

You're definitely using more than recommended, and my experience with my 8-cup is that it's a lot easier to brew smaller batches than is recommended than it is to brew larger. The capacity of the top half of the Chemex limits the amount of water you're exposing your brew to at one time, which means that the flow a bit restricted. I don't think it's impossible, but you're going to need to grind coarser, especially if you're set on your pouring method.

barkingburro Said:

You might want to try the inverted Chemex technique.

Oh wait, is it past April 1 already?

Posted April 3, 2013 link

Well-played. Haha.

-Dave-
Crotonmark902

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 7:30am

to the OP:

Thank you for writing this - this is the EXACT question I wanted to post today
I am also having an issue with brew time - I am brewing 60g of coffee at a 16:1 ratio (960g water)
No matter how fine/course I grind (Capresso Infinity) I clock in over 5 minutes for the water to flow out (this includes 30 seconds of bloom time).

I have tried brewing 20g coffee and 320 g of water on the same grind - it flows thru in 2:15
therefore I am ready to conclude that for a large Chemex pot of coffee the 4 minute limit is not attainable

Other thoughts?

It just is not logical that 160g or 320 g of water can flow thru at the same flow rate as 960 g of water.

Mark
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 12:00pm
Subject: ...

Crotonmark902

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 12:14pm

Netphilosopher:
Let me just add:

i love my Chemex.  I love the coffee it makes
If i gave another impression I revert it.

I just want to do it right, is all :)

Your post confirmed my hands on analysis.

I'll keep brewing tho.

Mark
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 12:37pm

johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 10:49am

Netphilosopher Said:

Mark and afk314:

<snip>

So, Mark, you're probably right - as the grounds get deeper, the 4 minute limit is probably not attainable, but this does not necessarily mean you will never be able to make good coffee in the chemex.  The 4 minute is just a guide, the right answer is when you find the combination of grind size and contact time that works to produce the best flavor.

Posted April 4, 2013 link

Netphilosopher,

First of all, thank you for all of your tireless experimentation and write-ups. I have learned a lot from you!

My preferred way of handling that (absent a grinder that can produce a consistent and sufficiently coarse grind) is simply bypass -- aim for the desired contact time with however much water gets through the bed and then add the rest of the water directly to the brew. Is there a reason not to do this? I gathered from what you had previously written that extraction was basically decoupled from brew strength over a fairly wide range of temperatures and times, so this made sense to me as a method of controlling both.

Thanks!
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 2:20pm

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299928188324)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+