Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Baratza Encore V. Baratza Virtuosa???
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
FSTOCK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 8:56pm
Subject: Baratza Encore V. Baratza Virtuosa???

Hello,
I'm looking to purchase my first burr grinder on a budget....so if I'm not into making espresso, which one of these
would be my best choice. The Baratza Encore or the Baratza Virtuosa?
Any suggestions or comments appreciated,
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Baratza Encore V. Baratza Virtuosa???

FSTOCK Said:

Hello,
I'm looking to purchase my first burr grinder on a budget....so if I'm not into making espresso, which one of these
would be my best choice. The Baratza Encore or the Baratza Virtuosa?
Any suggestions or comments appreciated,
Thanks

Posted March 25, 2013 link

Welcome to the forum.  

I have 5 Baratza grinders in my family.  If you don't expect to make espresso I believe the Encore to be adequate.  And ABSOLUTELY an Encore instead of a blade (whirled-bird) grinder.

Jerry
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:10am

Oddly enough I was looking to replace my current grinder and had been wondering the same thing myself. I've been reading lots of comparisons and reviews I guess it really comes down to how you brew your coffee.

The Encore is a "jack-of-all-trades" kind of grinder, it can do a lot of things but none of them exceptionally. All the reviews I've read rate it as a very solid grinder, fairly consistent, less than 2g lost in the grinder but seems to be ideal for automatic drip with a paper filter. It can do press pots, but seems to have some fines (though always listed as an acceptable amount). It also can do other manual brew methods as well but again suffers from some issues with "fines".

The Virtuosa just seems to be a better machine. Less fines, more consistent, less loss in the grinder. This of course comes at a premium in price.

Neither is really recommended to do espresso (though Baratza claims they can), so as long as you know you're not going down that road, either would be a good choice. If you're going from no grinder (or blade grinder) the Encore is still a solid option without breaking the bank.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 4:12pm

FSTOCK.....  Welcome to the forum!

Encore or Virtuoso? One step up to Virtuoso and you have the Preciso without the Micro feature. Virtuoso and Preciso, purchased new, have the same burrs and gearbox---only difference is the Micro. Mark Prince did a great Preciso review here on CoffeeGeek---read this review AND see the specs on Baratza's web site. After lots of research and inquiries, I learned I'd be in fine shape with Virtuoso for how I brew: Bonavita, CleverDripper or French Press.

Love my Virtuoso---I see no fines and hardly any grinds retention, a snap to clean.

To save $ check out the refurbs offered at Baratza, come w/warranty too.
MJW

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 9:50pm

The differences are that the Virtuoso is almost twice as fast, and according to Baratza creates slightly fewer fines.  The V also has a timer knob whereas the Encore has a simple switch.

The spec sheets for both grinders are on Baratza's web site.
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 5:48pm

RandomTask Said:

Oddly enough I was looking to replace my current grinder and had been wondering the same thing myself. I've been reading lots of comparisons and reviews I guess it really comes down to how you brew your coffee.

The Encore is a "jack-of-all-trades" kind of grinder, it can do a lot of things but none of them exceptionally. All the reviews I've read rate it as a very solid grinder, fairly consistent, less than 2g lost in the grinder but seems to be ideal for automatic drip with a paper filter. It can do press pots, but seems to have some fines (though always listed as an acceptable amount). It also can do other manual brew methods as well but again suffers from some issues with "fines".

The Virtuosa just seems to be a better machine. Less fines, more consistent, less loss in the grinder. This of course comes at a premium in price.

Neither is really recommended to do espresso (though Baratza claims they can), so as long as you know you're not going down that road, either would be a good choice. If you're going from no grinder (or blade grinder) the Encore is still a solid option without breaking the bank.

Posted March 26, 2013 link

In my experience, the Encore retains less than 1 gram.
FSTOCK

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 6:21pm

Thanks to all for the information...I think I'm going to go with the Encore.
Seams like a soild machine for the buck...and I don't see another that's as good at the price.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 9:38pm

Best of luck and welcome to burr grinding, FSTOCK.

Baratza Customer Support is The Best, you won't be sorry.
randyhogue

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 11:40am

FSTOCK Said:

Thanks to all for the information...I think I'm going to go with the Encore.
Seams like a soild machine for the buck...and I don't see another that's as good at the price.

Posted March 27, 2013 link

I have a Baratza Encore listed on this site for $80.  Less than one year old.  If you're interested.

Randy
jaybar

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 1:52pm

If I had to choose my first Baratza grinder, I would recommend the Virtuoso. I had one for about a year. Depending on choice of brewer, the increased grind consistency could be a plus. I would also consider the Breville smart grinder. It's grind consistency might be slightly less then the Virtuoso, but it wins hands down in terns of ease of cleaning, ease of setup and user friendliness. It also has a shut-off hopper which enables one to remove the hopper without having to remove the beans.

The big plus for Baratza lies in the quality of their user support which is legendary. For me, the ergonomic, ease of maintenance, and user friendliness of the Breville is paramount, given my vision and dexterity issues. Others who bring different issues to the table, may have different needs and priorities.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29221701622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+