Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 8:12pm
Subject: Re: High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?

LOL remembering Kramer w/food in the bathroom!

Like you, I needed to upgrade to a better brewer, settled on a Bonavita Thermal. I'd read CoffeeGeek info and knew I'd need to use fresh ground coffee. We have a local roaster (roasting daily) so I figured I'd get fresh ground coffee every 2-4 days until making a decision on a grinder---I wanted to feel confident about my grinder buy. Live and learn... I was able to keep fresh ground fairly fresh for 2 days, day 3 noticed decline in flavor (keeping in major brand zip closure freezer bags, air squeezed out, in kitchen cabinet). Day 4 wasn't worth brewing.

Got the grinder, use every morning, not very noisy, easy to clean---coffee's great!

Someone did post, suggesting you could grind some at night for use next morning---if you put grounds in an air tight container that might work ok and would be far better than buying bags of pre-ground coffee.

You mentioned drinking espresso on weekends, drip weekdays so be sure to get a grinder that will grind both consistently----see threads here for great info.

Good luck, good coffee
 View Profile Link to this post
SeanStarke

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:09am

Well, I've had a Technivorm for a long time and you will notice a marked improvement in your coffee if you get one. Yes, if you're not grinding the beans at that exact moment you will 'lose' something but you can weigh that versus the hassle/noise of grinding; your mileage will of course vary but don't let this talk that it's not the perfect cup of coffee dissuade you from making your life more enjoyable.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:48am

Would you cut up an apple into hundreds of small pieces and then let it sit on the counter over night so you can eat it in the morning? You would have a bowl of mush, brown disgusting mush. This is what you are doing with pre ground coffee. Coffee reacts to the air the same way but as it is brown to start with, you do not see it. The very high surface area of ground coffee will assure that you will have plant food the next morning to brew your "coffee" from (it's only use is to put on your plants as brewing coffee from it is .... nasty)

For ANY method of brewing coffee, you need a grinder and you need to grind right before brewing, there is no other way that will give you anything close to good coffee.

If grinding makes too much noise, simply close the door to the bedroom and I really doubt that you will have an issue with waking anyone up. We become used to the noises around us and even a loud grinder, across the house and through a closed door, is pretty darn quiet. If it still is not quiet enough, a hand powered grinder is the best way to go even if it does put you to work early in the morning.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:36am

Our former brew was literally undrinkable. It was 'to drink, or not to drink' PERIOD.

Even getting fresh roasted beans ground at our local roaster did not stay fresh for brewing the very next morning--was ok and YES much better in Bonavita than using major brand pre-ground store coffee in Krups brewer. I was running to the roaster every 2 days and STILL drinking sub-standard coffee---good coffee quickly going stale brewed in a quality machine was just not going to work.

Once the grinder arrived our coffee cup quality improved 100+%. The grinder freed me up and it's quick, easy.

IF NOT FOR THE GRINDER we would be 'tea only drinkers'.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 8:01am

calblacksmith Said:

Would you cut up an apple into hundreds of small pieces and then let it sit on the counter over night so you can eat it in the morning?

Posted March 21, 2013 link

I told you it would be dismissed.

As an equally poor analogy to the one given, how about: Would you grind wheat to flour and place it in a sealed container overnight to use for baking bread in the morning?

It's probably the case that freshly ground wheat produces better bread than 12-hour old ground wheat. But, all else being equal, either is likely superior to flour ground weeks or months ago.

Whether coffee ground 12 hours ago is worth brewing and drinking is arguable and probably depends on the coffee type, the grind, preparation method, and the person drinking it. I've done it and found it to be much better than dogma led me to expect and certainly a lot better than pre-ground from the supermarket.

Of course it's better to grind it fresh if you can -- but what if you can't?
msboo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 8:49am

Wonder if the OP has decided to drink tea instead.

Hey OP, don't give up and don't be overwhelmed or worry about grinder noise. You may find your better-half already in the kitchen waiting with coffee mug in hand.

My hubby came back for a 2nd cup then a 3rd to go.
msboo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:33am

Jpender...  agree w/you.

I ran to my roaster every 2 days for good grounds, took my U-Kno-Lock freezer bags with me so could pack up in the car, stored in kitchen cab at home. I always purchased 5-6pm so next morn brew grounds were 13-14hrs old. Morn after that was still pretty good. Brewed in Bonavita, this 'fresh' ground coffee was a 360 turn around from what we had before.

When finally able to grind at home prior to brewing, another 360!

If OP has to grind night before, will be a big improvement.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:35am

jpender Said:

...Whether coffee ground 12 hours ago is worth brewing and drinking is arguable and probably depends on....

Posted March 21, 2013 link

It ONLY depends on the person who is going to drink it.  Wayne would not find it worth drinking.  Others may, but it is merely a matter of what is acceptable to the person/people who is/are presented with the choice of drink it or don't drink it.  Those other things are factors that may make it more (or less) acceptable to those who would actually consider drinking coffee from pre-ground beans (myself included).  If I had to choose between swill/nil and beans I absolutely had to pre-grind the night before, I'd certainly choose the latter, but it would take an awful lot to prevent me from grinding fresh.  To grind ahead of time, one would actually have to think about it (pre-meditated) and dismiss all possibilities of having freshly ground beans.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
SeanStarke

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:46am

Dear OP

"Without grinding my own beans, would I be totally wasting my money by buying a better drip coffeemaker, e.g., BonaVita or Technivorm,  and purchasing quality coffee from a local vendor, but in ground form ?"

Buy the technivorm. Purchase small amounts of freshly ground from a local vendor. Enjoy much better coffee than currently immediately. If you want and when you're ready, tip-toe into grinder land if you desire when you desire but don't feel pressured that you have to do things in a certain way or it can't possibly be good.

It's coffee, not religion.
msboo

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:51am

I 2nd that
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28048491478)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+