Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 8:14am
Subject: Re: High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?

I also heard the grinder on this was loud. Also, SCG had it running and thought it was louder than the Virtuoso. I would say the Virtuoso sounds duller, maybe muffled compared to the Breville YouBrew grinder. I have not experience w/the Encore so don't know how loud it is.

I like what CMIN posted except the OP probably needs to grind quicker than hand grinding.

Any others have comparisons for the OP?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 8:27am

My Preciso at home is significantly quieter than my Bodum Bistro in the office or my Ascaso I-1 espresso grinder at home.  I suspect that transfers across to the other similarly designed Baratza conical grinders - I would think it's mostly a function of casing and burr holder material design (how much damping and transmission of vibration to the air via flat plates) and burr design (how much initial vibration).  The Bodum has a big flat cover on the hopper, and fairly light base and rubber feet in comparison to the Preciso.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 8:45am

CMIN Said:

Youbrew grinder though is fairly loud, about the same as any other $100 grinder or so.

If grinding noise is really a deal killer (there's really no quiet motorized grinder even if you spend $$$$). For the money, you may want to get say the Bonavita (about $130-150 or so) and makes a great cup, and a hand grinder like the Hario Skerton. No noise, easy grinding.

Posted March 22, 2013 link

The Skerton is actually kind of loud for a hand grinder. The Porlex is relatively quiet. And that assumes the OP wants to grind by hand.

How about driving down the street a little ways and using an inverter to plug the electric grinder into the car?
Or maybe a reallllly long extension cord?

Or you could sound-proof the bathroom (that might have other advantages).
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 9:02am

jpender Said:

The Skerton is actually kind of loud for a hand grinder. The Porlex is relatively quiet. And that assumes the OP wants to grind by hand.

How about driving down the street a little ways and using an inverter to plug the electric grinder into the car?
Or maybe a reallllly long extension cord?

Or you could sound-proof the bathroom (that might have other advantages).

Yeh you can hear the beans grinding but no motor noise lol, at least compared to the grinders in the $100 range. I have the Hario Slim and it's fairly quiet. Though to what someone said above the Preciso (w/ the updated 2.0 Gearbox) is really quiet vs before, very smooth sounding especially with the lid on the hopper.

My neighbors love their Youbrew though, got them into fresh roasted bean ordering, and their blown away vs what they were drinking before. It is a nifty feature rich machine for the avg home user, makes a great cup. I would go for something like the Brazen and a separate grinder, but the Youbrew is cool for the normal consumer.
SeanStarke

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 9:20am

perhaps the OP can set the timer so that it grinds the coffee while she's taking a shower in the morning, as the bathroom noise should mask the grinder and thus allow her hubby to slumber blissfully...
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:08pm

Wo, CMIN mentioned someone's Preciso being quieter due to 2.0 Gearbox upgrade. Made me think....  I've wondered IF my Virtuoso had the updated 2.0 Gearbox, it definitely has the new burrs. Little confusing since purchased new, came in old box with '#586' taped on the box AND on the bottom of the grinder something has been sanded or scraped off next to the sticker w/the serial number....  the model number has numbers and letters, no 586 anywhere on the unit itself. Seems burrs were upgraded first, then little later the gearbox SO if anyone knows PLEASE correct me. Also wonder when they changed the model # from 585 to 586.... just after new burrs but before the gearbox upgrade or what.

Anyway, my Virtuoso noise is a smooth growling sort of motor sound whereas the YouBrew had a higher, sharper, clacking sound on SCG's video demo----they had to step away to talk to while it was running BUT did great job grinding and yum coffee. I've thought about the YouBrew for my daughter & SIL----they have one of those fast single brewers.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:51pm

msboo Said:

Wo, CMIN mentioned someone's Preciso being quieter due to 2.0 Gearbox upgrade. Made me think....  I've wondered IF my Virtuoso had the updated 2.0 Gearbox, it definitely has the new burrs. Little confusing since purchased new, came in old box with '#586' taped on the box AND on the bottom of the grinder something has been sanded or scraped off next to the sticker w/the serial number....  the model number has numbers and letters, no 586 anywhere on the unit itself. Seems burrs were upgraded first, then little later the gearbox SO if anyone knows PLEASE correct me. Also wonder when they changed the model # from 585 to 586.... just after new burrs but before the gearbox upgrade or what.

Anyway, my Virtuoso noise is a smooth growling sort of motor sound whereas the YouBrew had a higher, sharper, clacking sound on SCG's video demo----they had to step away to talk to while it was running BUT did great job grinding and yum coffee. I've thought about the YouBrew for my daughter & SIL----they have one of those fast single brewers.

I don't know if that gearbox is updated/can be in the Virtuoso, should be since the only real difference I believe is having the micro adjustment. I had the old gearbox and new 2.0, huge difference, way quieter and smoother sounding.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 1:05pm

CMIN Said:

Yeh you can hear the beans grinding but no motor noise lol, at least compared to the grinders in the $100 range.

It's all relative, but I know can shut down conversation or even chase my wife out of the kitchen with the Skerton. Not so with the Porlex.

But we don't really know about lefebvre's situation.
How much noise will it take to wake the sleeping husband?
lefebvre
lefebvre

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:16pm

Okay.... well.  Got the YouBrew yesterday. Got some Casi Cielo or some such beans at Starbucks (was on the way home from picking up the machine).

Spent the early evening setting it up (man, that's a LOT OF BUTTONS!).

So got the thing programmed to start at 4:30 this AM.

I have NEVER seen my cat move this fast before. I swear. I didn't even know he COULD move that fast. He was up on top of the cat tree before I could blink.

Bonus feature: no more need for alarm clock.

So yeah, it is loud. The coffee was really, really good though. And hot (and I hadn't pre-warmed the thermal carafe, on account of the programmed auto-start). The hubs agreed. Said he can put up with the noise. Who knew??
barkingburro
barkingburro

Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:30pm

Ha!  Taste trumps noise.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328608989716)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+