Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Coffee Proportions
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Crotonmark902

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 5:13pm
Subject: Coffee Proportions

I don't understand "3rd Wave" coffee making proportions
Putting aside that noone understands the metric system - the proportions seem wrong

The standard measure I have used for many many years is 2 tablespoons of ground coffee to 6 ounces of water

the recipes that I see online from Stumptown, etc. have much less coffee per ounce of liquid.

Can anyone explain to me why the change?

Thanks
Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:25pm
Subject: Re: Coffee Proportions

It's just a starting point.  Adjust to your taste from there.  It also depends on your grind, method of preparation, etc.

As for third wave, I don't make the distinction.  Simply, how does the cup taste to me.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:35pm

The Speciality Coffee Association of America guidelines are pretty much the accepted standard or at least the starting point for coffee brewing and this hasn't changed with the so called "3rd Wave" movement. If anything there has been a tendency to use more coffee than the SCAA advocate and brew for shorter times.

Your starting proportions seem about right to me. Starbucks have for many years recommended the ratio you use. Stumptown recommend 42g (1.48oz) or 6 rounded tablespoons of coffee for 20oz in a Chemex which doesn't seem wildly different to your formula (6.67 tablespoons) especially if you consider rounded tablespoons are more generous than level tablespoons.

Personally for Chemex I stick to SCAA proportions which works out at 33 grams (1.16oz) or 5 level tablespoons for 20oz water. At least for the Chemex Stumptown are advocating much more coffee than the SCAA standard.

If anything your query highlights the importance of using weight rather than tablespoon measurements to compare brewing recipes since the actual amount of coffee a tablespoon holds varies with different coffees/roasts and whether you use level, rounded or heaped tablespoons.
Crotonmark902

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 3:18am

al_bongo Said:

The Speciality Coffee Association of America guidelines are pretty much the accepted standard or at least the starting point for coffee brewing and this hasn't changed with the so called "3rd Wave" movement. If anything there has been a tendency to use more coffee than the SCAA advocate and brew for shorter times.

Your starting proportions seem about right to me. Starbucks have for many years recommended the ratio you use. Stumptown recommend 42g (1.48oz) or 6 rounded tablespoons of coffee for 20oz in a Chemex which doesn't seem wildly different to your formula (6.67 tablespoons) especially if you consider rounded tablespoons are more generous than level tablespoons.

Personally for Chemex I stick to SCAA proportions which works out at 33 grams (1.16oz) or 5 level tablespoons for 20oz water. At least for the Chemex Stumptown are advocating much more coffee than the SCAA standard.

If anything your query highlights the importance of using weight rather than tablespoon measurements to compare brewing recipes since the actual amount of coffee a tablespoon holds varies with different coffees/roasts and whether you use level, rounded or heaped tablespoons.

Posted March 21, 2013 link

Thanks !!
I was responding to a video posted showing much less coffee used.  My experience with "hipster" coffee places is that their coffee is too weak
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 3:35am

Crotonmark902 Said:

My experience with "hipster" coffee places is that their coffee is too weak

Posted March 22, 2013 link

Do you drink dark roasted coffee? If so, you may be mistaking 'weak' flavors for lighter roasted coffee.  Third wave coffee is much lighter roasted. This showcases the flavor of the bean/region and not impart roasted/burned flavors that are more predominant in dark roasting (like starbucks). Most who are new to evaluating coffee mix up roast level with strength.
Crotonmark902

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 3:38am

diggi Said:

Do you drink dark roasted coffee? If so, you may be mistaking 'weak' flavors for lighter roasted coffee.  Third wave coffee is much lighter roasted. This showcases the flavor of the bean/region and not impart roasted/burned flavors that are more predominant in dark roasting (like starbucks). Most who are new to evaluating coffee mix up roast level with strength.

I used to drink Peet's exclusively but the last few years have gone to a lighter roast.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:50am
Subject: ...

Crotonmark902

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:02am

I think adopting metric is incredibly pretentious for people who live in America
But I digress.
I understand the point about weight
I brew via chemex after many years of brewing via melitta
Still not sure which is better.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:25am
Subject: ...

Crotonmark902

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:16am

Ok - so if I come off my high horse about the metric system
AND
I buy a scale

What weight of water and what weight of coffee do I need per 6 oz cup ?

thanks again

Mark

Netphilosopher Said:

LOL!  I've been called worse...

Just in case you didn't know, a US fluid oz of water is NOT 1 oz (by weight) of water, nor is 1 imperial fluid oz of water equal to 1 us fluid oz....

but a cc or ml is the same the world around.  So is a gram...  pretentious or not.

Just pointing out that many other suggestions use much MORE coffee per oz of liquid.

Using weight allows a consistency in units.  This allows you to use a ratio (which if you use the same units, is unitless).

In the end, go with what tastes good.  Most of the 3rd wave are updosing (using stronger recipes) for a variety of reasons.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332742929459)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+