Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
lefebvre
lefebvre

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:30am
Subject: High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?

Hello,

First-time poster but long-time lurker!

My husband and I love espresso but we usually reserve that for the weekends. So weekdays are drip coffee.

We don't get up at the same time so the first one up (me!) can't start grinding beans without waking up the other person.

We're no longer satisfied with Keurig for various reasons (mostly taste). I brought out my old Cuisinart DCC-1200 drip machine and I've been pre-setting it so the coffee is ready when I get up, so about the same convenience level as Keurig.

Our coffee "experience" is nevertheless rather... blah. Of course, buying buying ground coffee from the supermarket may not helping that. Here is what I am hoping to learn:

Without grinding my own beans, would I be totally wasting my money by buying a better drip coffeemaker, e.g., BonaVita or Technivorm,  and purchasing quality coffee from a local vendor, but in ground form ?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:51am
Subject: Re: High-end coffee maker worth it if not grinding beans myself ?

Fresh roast coffee (within a week of roasting and hopefully even less old than that) and a good burr grinder are the first requirements of superior coffee. Even the best beans from a reliable roaster are staling within fifteen minutes of their exposure to the air. I am truly sorrow to be Donnie Downer (Debbie Downer's older brother) but that is the sad truth. I will bet that a majority of folks on this site tried to "get away" with old beans, food store beans, preground beans or cheap beans but they ultimatly realized that fresh and just ground made the coffee that they liked not coffee that jump started their brain in the A. M.

Re the awake at different times, I hauled my grinder into a bathroom far from the bedroom to grind, so as not to wake the BW. Is their no place that you can bring the equipment?

Skyler, who will be grinder a chemex of Intelly Sulawesi in about 1/2 hour.
lefebvre
lefebvre

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 4:06am

Food in the bathroom?!!  Sorry, can't stop picturing Cosmo Kramer ;)

I don't think I can come up with a practical, every day solution to the problem of the AM noise from a grinder.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 4:59am

lefebvre Said:

Food in the bathroom?!!  Sorry, can't stop picturing Cosmo Kramer ;)

I don't think I can come up with a practical, every day solution to the problem of the AM noise from a grinder.

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Look at a LIDO hand grinder from Orphan Espresso.  I had it for a couple of weeks as part of a traveling road show.  It is easy to use, a piece of art-work, and creates a grind good enough for an espresso.  Espresso all the way to French press pot, all in one hand grinder.  It is built to last a life time. Link will carry you there.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:01am

I have a Baratza Vario-W and it is pretty quiet - at least compared to the cheap burr grinder I used before.  I make coffee almost every morning since I get up with our toddlers and let my wife sleep in - and I've never had an issue of the grinder waking up my wife.  Our kitchen is right next to our toddlers' room and I'll also grind coffee at night and it doesn't wake them.
MikeSD

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: De'Longhi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop 8 Cup
Drip: Hario Pourover
Roaster: Homemade SC/CO
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:11am

I have to agree with the above statements.  I wouldn't spend the money on a better drip machine.  Instead I would spend it on a decent manual burr grinder.  I have one and don't wake up my one-year old or my wife.  It can be a bit labor intensive depending on how much coffee you're making, though.  Get one with a fairly large arm for better leverage.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 7:21am

Do you know anyone handy with sewing? Have them make a thick padded cover for the grinder. I'm thinking something like those attack dog training suits - really THICK! Something like this over your grinder. That should deaden the sound and let others sleep in peace. At the very least, you could throw a blanket over it while it was grinding. But whatever you do, don't buy pre-ground coffee! Take care!

Jim

redkiosk: grinder.jpeg
(Click for larger image)

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 7:27am

Do you live in a studio apartment?  If not, can't you shut the bedroom door when you go to make the coffee?  This should solve your problem, unless you're grinding the beans on the counter with a sledge hammer.

I own a Lido.  It is extremely quiet, but if you want something electric, you actually do have options...

1) As mentioned above, many of the good grinders are quieter than the cheapos.  Perhaps you can get some recommendations for a quiet grinder (not that you aren't getting that now). This alone ought to take care of your problem. As others have said, quieter grinders can be used close to sleeping people. I've made espresso based milk drinks with my baby sleeping in the bassinet less than 6 feet away.  That includes grinding beans, running the shot and frothing milk.
2) build a little housing for the grinder out of rubber, so that it contains the noise, you can leave that in a closet while you're not using it.

Of course, you already seem convinced you can't grind in the morning, so to answer your original question...in my opinion, no, it's not worth trying to make coffee at home if you can't grind the beans fresh for each use.  Again, that's MY opinion. However, I suspect if you were using high quality beans and grinding them just before going to bed, you'd have a much more enjoyable experience than you do now.

Oh, and none of the roasters I buy beans from offer them pre-ground.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 7:37am

One alternative that  most will probably dismiss is to grind the first dose the night before and keep it in a sealed bag until morning.
lefebvre
lefebvre

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 1:10pm

Thanks for the tips. Will have to re-think my strategy :-)
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High-end coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287711858749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+