Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Where is Krupps??
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Where is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
evfrosine

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:27pm
Subject: Where is Krupps??

Hi,
Back in the day, the only drip coffee maker of note was Krupps. Now that I need a new coffee maker, they're nowhere to be found. No mention in the magazines, none in the stores, none in Consumer Reports.......  Where did they disappear to? What happened to them? Is there a replacement machine that is good? I must admit I was seduced by a free Gevalia machine for a while, but we've broken up and I need a new machine. It has to be a drip for convenience and preference. Any recommendations?
Evfrosine
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 7:41pm
Subject: Re: Where is Krupps??

I boxed up my last Krups and sent to Goodwill. It didn't brew within proper temp range. I got it Jan 2011 and it was the ONLY Krups model BBB had on the shelf SO I don't know what's going on with their manufacturing of brewers. Anyway, I bought a Bonavita auto-drip, brews 8 cups in apprx 5 1/2 mins. Do you grind beans just prior to brewing?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 8:48pm

besides the Bonavita, check out the Behmor Brazen

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:45am

evfrosine Said:

Is there a replacement machine that is good? (...) Any recommendations?

Posted March 19, 2013 link

IMHO some of the the best drip coffeemakers are Technivorm's Moccamaster machines.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
evfrosine

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 9:59am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've skimmed the sites for these machines and my preliminary thoughts are that I definitely don't want a thermal carafe. Heating water to heat up the carafe before brewing is a pain to me. Also, we only brew 2 cups of coffee at a time for my dh and me. I don't like holding coffee so I brew fresh each time. Secondly, we're talking about a gizmo that sprinkles hot water over coffee grinds. How much should I have to pay for that? Should I go back to the Chemex of my hippie days? (Some of you may be too young to remember those!) I'll check them out more, but if you have additional suggestions, I'm interested.
Evfrosine
PS. If you had to drink the colored water that passes for coffee in New England, you might have a more generous view of *$$. I envy those of you who can find coffee in the outside world. I end up carrying mine with me where ever I go.......
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:11am

The 4 brewers currently approved by the SCAA are Technivorm Moccamaster, Lance Larkin BE 112 Brew Express, Bunn HG Home Brewer and Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Brewer (glass or thermal carafe). The Technivorm line is proven in durability/performance. Bonavita is the newest on the market and Bunn has been around for a while. I'm not familiar w/the Lance Larkin. They all must meet SCAA standards for approval, mainly brewing temp, contact time and proper extraction. Check out some threads here for personal opinions/recommendations then shop for your preference/budget.

A couple of Geeks here modified a certain mass marketed brewer to hold proper brew temp, reporting fairly good results. It's easier to buy brewer that's already made to brew properly.
dfrcomp

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: No,   Moka: Yes
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: No,   French Press: Yes
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Pour...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:31am

++++1 Technivorm!!
You get what you pay for my friend!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:55am

The reason the Behmor Brazen isn't on the aforementioned SCAA list is that they stopped accepting new machines to test just before the Brazen came out (I think while they updated the criteria).  I believe that Behmor might still be waiting for them to reopen testing so they can submit a Brazen for approval.

If you are only making coffee to drink immediately, there's no need to preheat a thermal carafe - I don't bother preheating the one on my Bonavita in my office even when brewing a full pot for the whole working day.  However I don't think most automatic brewers do well with less than half of their maximum volume, although half the nominal 8 cup volume of most of the autodrip options may be about the right amount for 2 mugs of coffee - "cups" on an autodrip machine means 4-5 oz cups, so half of 8 cups is 2 8-10oz mugs.

Chemex's are pretty popular around here still, and you'll see plenty of mention of them on the forum.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:33am

evfrosine Said:

the Chemex of my hippie days? .

Posted March 20, 2013 link

Some people perceive the Chemex process as a significant moment in the development of coffee appreciation - what was old is once again new?
Besides, aside from however you add heat to the water, it's about as non technical as one can get for low volume / high return on investment.

Another option, if you need to tweak your 'I wants something new' - vacuum pots!

Cheers!
-Chris
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:47am

Chemex is still popular,  along with other pour overs like Hario V60, Kalita Wave etc. Problem with the drip machines are except for the ones listed in this thread, their generally junk with no stability or even reaching near the right temps to brew coffee (insert basically anystore bought brand name here lol). Course you need a good grinder that can do coarse nicely and generally people buying these store machines still use a crap blade grinder or low end burr grinder thats more like a bean masher. Baratza Encore is pry best all around for strictky coarse use, have the Capresso Infinity too.

Bonavita is simple and works for the $, and then you have something like the Brazen that allows you to control and adjust temp, adjust for higher altitude living, and other features.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Where is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275074005127)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+