Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour over vs. Aeropress for Ethiopian Yirgacheffe?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Pour over vs. Aeropress for Ethiopian Yirgacheffe?

dyqik Said:

Konitz periodic table mug

Posted March 8, 2013 link

</ runs from the room screaming!  "Ene', not only are there all kinds of coffee makers out there; they now have loads of different CUPS!!!"
</wretched gagging scream follows
 View Profile Link to this post
sgnoobie

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 5:10pm

mgoldst Said:

if i do look at a pour over, what is the best for my needs? i am happy to spend the time & practice it takes to perfect a V60 or Chemex, but I am not sure what will work best. Bee House? Kalita? something else? my understanding is that the V60 seems to be considered the "best" pour over so long as you take the time to perfect the technique?

thanks very much for your help!

Posted March 8, 2013 link

I was sort of in the same boat as you awhile back and decided on the v60 02...I've never regretted it. Ceramic to me is superior to the BPA free copolyster used in the Clever and Aeropress, and the v60 is almost the same price as the Clever. I did all my research and found that the buttload of technique/tutorials out there on the v60 makes it a better choice (even though some people say that the bee house produces different tastes, I've never really noticed the difference).

If you're gonna cream and sugar it up like me......think you'll be more than happy with the v60. Make sure you have a scale too though. G'luck!
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:01pm

sgnoobie Said:

I was sort of in the same boat as you awhile back and decided on the v60 02...I've never regretted it. Ceramic to me is superior to the BPA free copolyster used in the Clever and Aeropress, and the v60 is almost the same price as the Clever. I did all my research and found that the buttload of technique/tutorials out there on the v60 makes it a better choice (even though some people say that the bee house produces different tastes, I've never really noticed the difference).

If you're gonna cream and sugar it up like me......think you'll be more than happy with the v60. Make sure you have a scale too though. G'luck!

Posted March 10, 2013 link

I've been using V60 and Clever a lot the past couple years, and I've added something else to the mix that makes the biggest difference I've tasted in my brewing -- separation of fines. I use a screen that ends up separating about 1/6 of the grind. I brew the rest (the grind is dialed in for a 3 minute extraction), then toss in the fine grind the last 30 seconds or so and stir it gently in (this is with the Clever, but it's doable in a V60 as well).

I have a dull palate, I think, but on this matter I can really tell the difference. Much better extractions.

It's valuable to taste this method with, and without, the fines added back in.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 7:51am
Subject: .

sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:06am

rasqual Said:

I've been using V60 and Clever a lot the past couple years, and I've added something else to the mix that makes the biggest difference I've tasted in my brewing -- separation of fines. I use a screen that ends up separating about 1/6 of the grind. I brew the rest (the grind is dialed in for a 3 minute extraction), then toss in the fine grind the last 30 seconds or so and stir it gently in (this is with the Clever, but it's doable in a V60 as well).

I have a dull palate, I think, but on this matter I can really tell the difference. Much better extractions.

It's valuable to taste this method with, and without, the fines added back in.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

I'd love to try this...what are you using to sift the grinds? Do you agitate at all prior to including the fines?
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 8:09pm

Hmm. And I've not tried a Saran wrap pressurizer!

Not sure what screen size I've been using -- picked some up at McMaster back when I looked into it. I know it's more coarse than a coupla baristi've been using of late.

I'm moving toward erring on the side of finer grinds of late, which may help me with this. No TDS meter, alas, but let's just say I'd like to push a bit past 20.
mgoldst

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 1:15pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.

i want to thank Scott from Aerobie who got in touch with me and graciously offered to send me a new Aeropress at no charge - that is impeccable customer service, thanks Scott!

i guess the question i am trying to answer is maybe harder to find, which is basically: what are the characteristics of each type of pour over device? what does a V60 do better than a Clever or a Kalita? what are the best kinds of coffees for a V60 vs a Kalita vs a Chemex vs a Clever? i am not really that worried about "easy", i am more worried about "good".

I did find this link for a beginners guide to pour over coffee which seems to try and answer this: Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

thanks again!
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 4:26pm

Do you have a Vacuum pot? If not, I think you would like it, it's quite unique in its own right compared to other brewing methods out there, it produces a very clean cup and works exceptionally well for a bean like Yirg which tends to have nice fruity flavors. While I understand you're ruining your coffee with cream and sugar, I think you'd still like it, you may even find that the coffee is nice and sweet without sugar added! If you do, I recommend a metal filter screen for it.
steelgtr

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 5:34pm

[quote623338 While I understand you're ruining your coffee with cream and sugar, I think you'd still like it, you may even find that the coffee is nice and sweet without sugar added! .[x]

:)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:36am

Well, I am going to add a third voice for a vac pot. The Aeropress is a great little brewer, I have two of them but I also enjoy a vac pot. It is a different brew. Clean and similar to a press pot without the sludge. I nearly always brew espresso at home but when brewing "other" methods, the vac pot is hard to beat.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325246095657)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+