Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour over vs. Aeropress for Ethiopian Yirgacheffe?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mgoldst

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:42pm
Subject: Pour over vs. Aeropress for Ethiopian Yirgacheffe?

My trusty Aeropress has started to crack after 3 years of use 2-3 times a day. I have been very happy with the brew I get from it, however since I need to buy a new brewer I wanted to get a sense from members here if I should look at a pour over brewer instead of another Aeropress in order to get an even better cup of coffee.

Some information about my preferences coffee-wise:

- almost always brew Ethiopian Yirgacheffe that I get whole-bean from a local roaster.
- i like the sweet, creamy taste of this bean. i know this makes me a bad person but i do use cream & sugar in my coffee.
- i brew with the paper filter on the Aeropress - I have a metal disk but find it makes a "harsher" cup for my tastes.
- i have a decent (but not great) burr grinder & scale.
- i am willing to spend the time to get technique down to get the best possible cup of coffee from whatever equipment i get.
- i am willing to send the money on ancillary equipment (good kettle, etc...) to properly use a pour over.

my questions are 2:

1. should i even bother looking for a pour over unit - is Aeropress the best way to brew that particular coffee bean given my taste preferences?

2. if i do look at a pour over, what is the best for my needs? i am happy to spend the time & practice it takes to perfect a V60 or Chemex, but I am not sure what will work best. Bee House? Kalita? something else? my understanding is that the V60 seems to be considered the "best" pour over so long as you take the time to perfect the technique?

thanks very much for your help!
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: Pour over vs. Aeropress for Ethiopian Yirgacheffe?

Consider a Clever Coffee Dripper.  Like the Aeropress in inverted use, it's a steep and filter brewer, and it's forgiving on technique.  Paper filtered like the Aeropress.  And you can use it as drip cone somewhat like a V60 as well.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:58pm

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a different brewing device, but call Aerobie. My Aeropress wasn't even cracked, just crazed pitted, and they offered to replace the cylinder and the worn out rubber part of the plunger for free. It took about two days to show up on my doorstep.

Then I got one for Christmas so now I have two Aeropresses.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 1:08pm
Subject: .

Mfoster

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: cheapo
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Brazen
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:07pm

So why do you guys do this to me ?.. Now I want ANOTHER coffee maker ! The Clever Dripper sounds awesome.
But, 400g of coffee, wow.

I love the Aeropress and if mine broke, I wouldn't think twice about replacing it. And as to the OP, I too prefer the paper filters over the metal. It gives a much smoother cup. I say if it works for you, stick with it.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:17pm

You don't have to make it that large (400g) lol, just if you want. Not that much though, about the same/little less then 2 cups.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:43pm

My Clever just about fills my big Konitz periodic table mug in my office - maybe 13oz of coffee.  And that's if I run the water right up to the top of the #4 filter when steeping.  Normally for pure steep and brew it does best around 12oz of coffee.  I've done up to 1 litre (sorry for the mixed units) as a pourover.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 3:40pm

Well, to answer your original question, I've always found the Aerobie somewhat reduces thye acidity of coffee, exactly OPPOSITE of what I'D want when brewing up a Yerg.
I'd get (look out!) a Yama 5 cup VAC POT! (Stove top.)
It will blow your mind with a Yerg. On a traditional syphon brewer will do it better.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 7:50pm

Mfoster Said:

So why do you guys do this to me ?.. Now I want ANOTHER coffee maker ! The Clever Dripper sounds awesome.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

Well, we could talk about the Espro press (two sizes with a third to come), or the MyPressi Twist, or the Behmor Brazen.....
Ya.. welcome to my world.    ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 9:36am

dyqik Said:

Consider a Clever Coffee Dripper.  Like the Aeropress in inverted use, it's a steep and filter brewer, and it's forgiving on technique.  Paper filtered like the Aeropress.  And you can use it as drip cone somewhat like a V60 as well.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

I use the Clever with a gold filter.  The result is strikenly similar to press coffee.

Recently, however, I have been using almost exclusively my Brikka.  A suggestion on CG was to use it to make Americanos.  I tried, and they are tremendous, almost identical to an espresso Americano.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297698020935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+