Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Technivorm Moccamaster - DIY fix help needed
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
smokedbutt

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Drip: Technivorm CDT-010
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:12pm
Subject: Technivorm Moccamaster - DIY fix help needed

I have a 3 year old Technivorm Mochamaster CDT-010 that quit brewing. The problem seems not uncommon - the reservoir is filled with water, the carafe is properly situated depressing the button activated microswitch, the proper lights are lit yet the water does not heat. I previously descaled, cleaned and jiggled the float which helped for a while. Now, nothing works.

Has anyone on this forum disassembled and then successfully (key word!) reassembled the machine? Does anybody have an exploded parts diagram or instructional diagram? Or simply a description of how to disassemble/assemble the CDT-010 or similar unit?

Boyd's Coffee sold me the proper microswitch. Disassembly was straight-forward at first, but I have reached an impasse and do not want to do damage by forcing parts, etc.

I have done the following:
  1. Remove the four screws from the bottom, and the base plate.
  2. I have removed the two screws holding the base end cap which holds the carafe and enables it to depress the microswitch button.
  3.  The filter basket holder has been removed via the two screws.
  4. Up top, the metal float guard within the water reservoir has been removed.
  5. The two screws at the bottom of the water reservoir have been removed.
  6. Lastly, within the base the two large Phillips screws holding the heating coil support bracket has been removed. One small screw remains.

This is where I stopped and now need help. Nothing else wants to separate easily, logically or is readily observable as a next step. There appears to be a glass tube inside a cone within the water reservoir. Both appear to be joined by a tight fitting silicone plastic sort of plug with an outlet on which attaches the hot water spray arm. Is this "plug" supposed to be removed, to pop off? If so, how? How to reattach?

The float within the water reservoir somehow attaches to the microswitch outside the reservoir. But, there seems no easy way to neatly disconnect the float so I can access the microswitch which needs to be changed. Forcing the float to detach (which way?) might break something, if it even is supposed to be detached.

How can I proceed, or must I send this coffeemaker back to Boyd's along with $100.00? Any help is greatly appreciated and should help others.
 View Profile Link to this post
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:08pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm Moccamaster - DIY fix help needed

Have you already tried emailing Terroir Select? They have a nice 'teardown report' posted here, so they may already know the answer to your question.

I would also email TechniVorm directly. They were very helpful to me when I was trying to verify brewing temps, & went so far as to email pictures of their actual setup so that I could understand how they ran their tests. They might be able & willing to email pictures of how to replace the microswitch. It did take about a week for them to respond, but I just blamed it on "international (e)mail". :-)

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
smokedbutt

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Drip: Technivorm CDT-010
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:55pm

Many thanks Eiron. Both excellent ideas. The teardown report doesn't have the info I specifically need although looking at the pictures convinced me that not proceeding further on my own teardown was wise.

I was not aware of Terrior Select, and contacting TechniVorm (Holland) directly is so obvious and sensible I never would have thought of it. Thanks again.
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 8:46am

smokedbutt Said:

Many thanks Eiron. Both excellent ideas. The teardown report doesn't have the info I specifically need although looking at the pictures convinced me that not proceeding further on my own teardown was wise.

I was not aware of Terrior Select, and contacting TechniVorm (Holland) directly is so obvious and sensible I never would have thought of it. Thanks again.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

Did you get the problem resolved ?

I posted a link to an exploded diagram in another post.  It's not the same exact model, but it could still help if you want to try.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230093002319)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+