Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 95 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 6:19pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

+1, I found the missing sweetness in some of my coffees, usually coffees from Africa, by lowering the brew temp of the BraZen.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:59am

Thanks, I'll drop the temp and see how that works. I ground a little coarser this morning and went back to the mesh just to try. That definately helped.
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 4:19am

Any suggestions regarding bringing those 'flavours' out on FC+ roasts (with a Behmor of course) on the Brazen? I have noticed recently with Ethiopian beans that 204F and 203F were still not seeing specific flavours coming through and I was wondering if the higher brightness beans could really shine with small adjustments on the Brazen (ie chocolate and fruity notes). I know, this is a real technical question and apologize if this is the wrong spot to ask..
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:18am

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

Any suggestions regarding bringing those 'flavours' out on FC+ roasts (with a Behmor of course) on the Brazen? I have noticed recently with Ethiopian beans that 204F and 203F were still not seeing specific flavours coming through and I was wondering if the higher brightness beans could really shine with small adjustments on the Brazen (ie chocolate and fruity notes). I know, this is a real technical question and apologize if this is the wrong spot to ask..

Posted May 7, 2013 link

All of my Ethiopians are roasted to C+ not FC+. I don't know of any that suggest FC+. It is my understanding that the darker these beans go, the less origin flavor there is. Have you tried C+ at 201F?
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 10:13am
Subject: ...

Mister_Bean

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:34am

Rob989_69 Said:

Just got my Brazen last week. It is a drastic improvement over my Bunn commercial I was using. However, I'm not getting the depth of flavor that I'd hoped with it either. I went through the setup, my elevation is 380 so I set it to 500, the did the calibration. The coffee comes out nice and hot. I have the temp set to 203 and the pre-soak set to 1:20. It's a good cup, strong, but I'm not tasting much difference between different coffee's. I have found I like the paper filters a little better than the basket.

My question is, what should I tweak first? I've played with the grind a bit, I have a Virtuoso, which I've currently got at about 15 on the dial. My micro adjust (the set screw you can adjust by taking the case off) is towards the fine end of the middle setting.

Would a shorter or longer presoak help? Maybe a bit hotter temp? I'm using mainly African coffee right now, some Ethiopian and Kenyan. I also have some Sumatran that came with the Brazen. All are good, just not great. Both Africans are roasted by me and are a few days old. I usually let my coffee age a week but with the pre soak I'll roast closer to when I'll actually use it now.

BTW, I always do a full 8 cups when I brew.

I'm REALLY glad to hear they're working on a redesigned carafe. My only complaint is that it's virtually impossible to pour without at least a little dribble.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

If you haven't already done so, you might want to take a closer look at some of the test levels of your brew water, specifically TDS, Ph, and alkalinity. Levels that are out of whack could explain at least some of your problem. These are the target values I have been using: TDS, 120-130 Mg/L (although some sources recommend levels up to 150 Mg/L); Ph, 7.0; alkalinity, 50 Mg/L. I check the TDS of my water using a cheap, widely-available HM digital tester and the other two with aquarium test strips.
jelliott88

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 7:04am

Seems like a good thread to ask this question since its full of Brazen owners. I've been looking at purchasing an electric brewer for a few months now but still love my manual drip methods for when I just want to make one cup for myself.

I was looking at getting a bonavita thermal for my normal coffee routine and upgrading my kettle to a variable temp model for single cup brewing. However after running across the Brazen I'm curious if I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I've heard it's possible to brew directly into a Chemex 6 cup with the brazen so does that also mean I could simply use the Brazen as a variable temp water heater and disburse it into a Buono kettle for things like the v60?

Thanks for your expertise!
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 7:59pm

I have not posted (much) to this thread because I did not have a Brazen.

However, I have just had a birthday and two of my children (and families) got together and bought me a Brazen.

In my new Brazen I find none of the problems reported on in earlier posts.

1. I have no leakage in the seals of the carafe.  Everything is tight.

2. The carafe pours accurately without unexpected spills.

3. After the brew has been completed there is a small puddle at the bottom of the water reservoir.  However, it only amounts to a tablespoon or two and is probably steam condensed on the LARGE lid.  At the end of the brew I stuff a tea-towel into it and dry it.

I think Joe Behm's machine is a class-act and will comment further when I have run a few pounds of coffee through it.

Jerry
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 6:37am

Exactly how my machine has been since day one Sept 12 2011 too.

Happy 80th birthday Jerry,

Cheers!,
& here's to continued good health! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 5:33am

The new carafe is working fine, no more leaks.
showing page 95 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315505981445)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+