Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bodum Santos bad gasket seal
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
schalicto
schalicto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Cuisinart Fully Automatic...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 7:12pm
Subject: Re: Bodum Santos bad gasket seal

So, I'm still trying, and i'm still getting inconsistent results.  I have a hario hand grinder which i have been using instead of the DeLonghi.

I made a video of my current process so you could see what was going on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HlvO8JwNA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 8:43pm

schalicto Said:

So, I'm still trying, and i'm still getting inconsistent results.  I have a hario hand grinder which i have been using instead of the DeLonghi.

I made a video of my current process so you could see what was going on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HlvO8JwNA

Posted March 2, 2013 link

Without looking at the video, I can tell that it'a all about your grinder. First off, vac pot brewing may be (other than espresso0 the MOST grinder dependent method of brewing coffee.
Your grinder is mainly for finer grind, as most of those types of manual grinders are. Thus, the coarser you get, the more fines you'll produce. Fines are the kiss of death for vac pot brewing.

I'd advise you to get something like a Baratza Encore ($129, less for a refurb). Even a used Maestro Plus with good burrs will be more than adequate.
You will then have a grinder capable of producing an excellent quality grind for vac pot, drip, french press, and from what i hear decent espresso as well, though not nearly as good as it's big brother the Preciso.

I will look at the video, but regardless of your technique, it's still going to be a grinder issue.

EDIT: Just watched the video.
In case you haven't read my comments:
BAD, coarse looking uneven grind. REALLY BAD. WAY too much stirring, and the wrong implement. Use a chopstick, lightly, just to remove the grind sticking to the side of the globe.
GET a proper grinder.
Nice video, and your respect for what you're trying to do in such an egoless fashion speaks highly of you.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 4:38am

I agree that it's probably the grinder, but in any event that grind is waaaaaayyyy too coarse! Try something finer than drip. I know it's counterintuitive, but within reason you're not going to clog that filter because the grind is too fine.
 View Profile Link to this post
schalicto
schalicto

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Cuisinart Fully Automatic...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 2:07pm

I just wanted to follow up with you guys.  I ended up buying a Baratza Encore a couple weeks ago and I have made 4 successful pots of coffee with my Santos (with 1 failure).  It sounds like you guys were entirely right!  Thanks again for all your help :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
uRabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3 + PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Chemex, AeroPress, Wave,...
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 5:20pm

I have had bad luck with Bodum products, sans our Bistro burr grinder. Our travel mugs leaked from the get-go.

Purista Coffee Co. - Blog, Reviews, Culture, More.
http://puristacoffeeco.com/ | thepuristas@puristacoffeeco.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250164031982)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+