Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 21 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BOTR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 5:41pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Received mine today.

LOVE IT.
 View Profile Link to this post
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 9:10pm

BOTR Said:

Received mine today.

LOVE IT.

Posted February 19, 2013 link

Congrats!  I've yet to tire of messing with all the settings on mine.
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:31am

Socalsteve Said:

Do you have the steel Ditting burrs for your Vario? Supposedly they cure the "fines" issues...They are on back order from Baratza...can't wait to get mine when they come back in stock...

Posted February 8, 2013 link

Received my steel burrs last night for the Vario, huge difference in coarseness and, in turn, more flavor in the cup, FYI.
nachoslibres

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:51pm

I've only had my trifecta for 2 months and since yesterday I've started to notice what seems to be an air leak from the top of the brew chamber.  I can't feel it with my hands but I've noticed a new noise which sounds like an air leak during the infusion and press out stages.  Also, it appears that the coffee doesn't get pressed out as hard as it used to - which would seem to go along with an air leak.

I cleaned out the brew chamber according to the instructions that came with the brew chamber tool and didn't see any issues.  I'm going to try using the other brew chamber - which I never use - and see if this makes a difference.  I'm really hoping it's the brew chamber as I'd rather have to send that in than to be without the trifecta for a couple of weeks.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:21pm

nacholibres,

My Trifecta had exactly what you described. Take a flashlight and shine it in the gap just above the brew chamber during the press-out phase. Is the shower head slowing raising (near the brew chamber handle) until most of the seal is exposed, then pffft sound? That is what mine was doing. Check your grind, it may be too fine and is causing  the pressure in the chamber to go over the 4.5 psi limit. Also, take the shower head seal off, clean it well (and the groove that it rests in) and install upside-down (yes, there i a slight difference). If it still persists, you may need your shower head to be adjusted. When I sent mine in, they couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it was the grind, but they did adjust the shower head latch mechanism while they had it. I feel that could have been the problem, for I have less play (springiness) when pushing up on the shower head than before. They also sent me a sample of what grind they use and I matched that. No problems since getting it back. I see you are located in Texas, so maybe a little longer than mine, but I sent mine in on a Monday and had it back in my hands on Thursday afternoon. Nothing near two weeks. I know the feeling being without it for a while. The camping French Press got old real quick! Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 5:02pm

It's funny how consistent these problems have been between Jim and myself.  I experienced the air leaking from a not tight seal at the top early on and had to get my machine replaced.  I even experienced the water flowing back into the reservoir once, which was solved by using a half-full reservoir for one brew cycle.  And this isn't counting the Preciso grinder issue, which we both experienced.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nachoslibres

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 6:59pm

redkiosk Said:

nacholibres,

My Trifecta had exactly what you described. Take a flashlight and shine it in the gap just above the brew chamber during the press-out phase. Is the shower head slowing raising (near the brew chamber handle) until most of the seal is exposed, then pffft sound? That is what mine was doing. Check your grind, it may be too fine and is causing  the pressure in the chamber to go over the 4.5 psi limit. Also, take the shower head seal off, clean it well (and the groove that it rests in) and install upside-down (yes, there i a slight difference). If it still persists, you may need your shower head to be adjusted. When I sent mine in, they couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it was the grind, but they did adjust the shower head latch mechanism while they had it. I feel that could have been the problem, for I have less play (springiness) when pushing up on the shower head than before. They also sent me a sample of what grind they use and I matched that. No problems since getting it back. I see you are located in Texas, so maybe a little longer than mine, but I sent mine in on a Monday and had it back in my hands on Thursday afternoon. Nothing near two weeks. I know the feeling being without it for a while. The camping French Press got old real quick! Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Posted February 24, 2013 link

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.  I do think it is due to my grind being too fine - I am currently using a very dark roast in my Vario-W but have the Vario set to the very coarsest settings.  I will say that when I do a water only brew i don't notice these issues.

I think I may just go ahead and do the calibration on the Vario - I really don't want to get the steel burrs since I do plan on using the Vario for espresso.  I also will do what you said about cleaning and flipping the seal.  Thanks again.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:29am

I have never tried to remove the seal. How exactly is this done?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:39am

nachoslibres Said:

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.  I do think it is due to my grind being too fine - I am currently using a very dark roast in my Vario-W but have the Vario set to the very coarsest settings.  I will say that when I do a water only brew i don't notice these issues.

I think I may just go ahead and do the calibration on the Vario - I really don't want to get the steel burrs since I do plan on using the Vario for espresso.  I also will do what you said about cleaning and flipping the seal.  Thanks again.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

Replacing out the burr set is only 6 screws and the coarser grounds are far superior to even the coarsest setting on the Vario with the ceramic burrs...really glad I did it!
nachoslibres

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:29pm

sweaner Said:

I have never tried to remove the seal. How exactly is this done?

Posted February 25, 2013 link

Takes 3 seconds.  Raise the latch, remove the brew chamber (if one is installed), lower the latch and you will see the black spray head which is surrounded by a black gasket that has 3 individual fins on it.  Just gently pull the black gasket off and you can clean it off and/or flip it.
showing page 21 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342231988907)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+