Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bodum Santos bad gasket seal
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
schalicto
schalicto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Breville Youbrew Thermal
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:28am
Subject: Bodum Santos bad gasket seal

Hi Guys, I got a Bodum Santos for Christmas, and I'm having a hard time getting the vacuum process to work.  Roughly 50% of the time the coffee will not drain/vacuum back down to the lower carafe.  I have been trying to change my technique each time, but I have not been able to determine what is causing the lack of vacuum.  My technique is pretty standard, I put the top carafe on and seal it pretty much immediately when I start heating the water, and I steep the coffee for usually 90 seconds once all the water is in the top carafe.

This morning I made two pots and neither of them vacuumed successfully.  I put my ear up to the gasket and I could hear it whistling pretty good, so there was a vacuum present, but I think it's all leaking out around the gasket.  Any ideas about how I can fix it?  I was considering putting some Vaseline on the inside of the gasket.  

What do you guys think? Is there something wrong with my gasket?  Should I bring my complaint to Bodum?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks A Lot!
Josh
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:34am
Subject: Re: Bodum Santos bad gasket seal

Josh, I and several others have posted "alternative" techniques for brewing vac pot.
For instance, heat your water without the top on. Get an inexpensive thermometer, or for $20 you can get a thermocouple device.  Grind your coffee when the water is up around 150f. When the water gets to 190f, wet the gasket, and secure the upper globe. the water will rise, when the water is about 2/3 up, put the ground coffee in.
When the explosion occurs, stir a few seconds gently with a chopstick. Reduce heat, just to keep the coffee lightly bubbling. it's not boiling, don't worry.
You should AKWAYS make a full pot. 1/2 pots don't work well.
After 3 minutes up, remove the pot from the burner, place on a paper plate that's been dampened with cool water. This will help to initiate, and speed up the trip down south.

Let us know if that helps.

EDIT: Make sure the grind is not not too fine, nor too coarse either. Start with a slightly finer than drip grind.
Also, many of us here replace our OEM filters (I have a Yama and Nicro style stainless pot) with glass filters. Google glass vac pot filters. It will tell which is best for your Bodum.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
schalicto
schalicto

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 6:21am

Thanks IMAWriter.  I have tried the method you described, adding the top when the water is about 190f, I have tried that several times with inconsistant results. All your advice is really great, I would love to buy a glass filter and so forth, but I'm not sure that any of this is addressing my issue of a leaky gasket.  Or maybe the gasket isn't the issue at all.  I have an old Hario that I tried the method I described and it worked fantastically well.  Maybe I have not searched enough, but it doesn't seem like other people are saying the Bodum Santos is normally this inconsistant.  

Also, you said to let it steep for 3 minutes, that seems like a very long time.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:21am

Posting removed, obvious site troll uncovered.

- site moderators
 View Profile Link to this post
schalicto
schalicto

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 9:40am

Oh, I totally don't have that grinder anymore, it burned out in spectaular fasion.  I'll update with my current grinder later today.

But I have it set between drip and french, so it's on the coarser side.  I'm not stirring a ton.  I'll try out a longer steep, is pressure continuing to build as the steep continues?  

Is the filter the problem?  I'm using that plastic thing that it comes with.  It seems to do a pretty good job of filtering the setiment, but maybe it gets super plugged up.  Do you think I can use the paper filter/contraption that my hario uses?  I should try that out.

The reason I replaced the hario is that I wanted one I could use on the stovetop, is there a better option available for a stovetop vac pot?

Josh
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 9:58am

Posting removed, obvious site troll uncovered.

- site moderators
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:02am

Good stuff, Evan.
A plug here for the Yama vac pots. NEVER a stall, as their gasket is unreal good.
I've never used a Bodum here, but have at a friends house. Worked fine, made excellent coffee.
I don't use the Yama cloth filter assembly. I love my Cory and Silex "Lox-in" glass filters. Easiest clean-up, and guaranteed results.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
schalicto
schalicto

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:30am

So, basically what you guys are saying is that it's absolutely my technique... sigh...

Yama = Hario, right?

Where do I get these glass filters?  It looks like I might have to order from someone I have not used before.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:36am

schalicto Said:

So, basically what you guys are saying is that it's absolutely my technique... sigh...

Yama = Hario, right?

Where do I get these glass filters?  It looks like I might have to order from someone I have not used before.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

No, The Yama I have is stove top ($34) 8 cup stove top.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
schalicto
schalicto

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:41am

I thought that Yama was a rebranded Hario...
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Santos bad...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310703992844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+