Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Upgrading: Will French Press, Hario Slim Grinder, and Fresh Beans Be Good Start?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Upgrading: Will...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TMiller

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:51am
Subject: Upgrading: Will French Press, Hario Slim Grinder, and Fresh Beans Be Good Start?

I've posted a similar thread to this one, however I've finally narrowed my choice down to a Bodum Chambord French Press and a Hario Slim Grinder. Would this be an appropriate method for a beginner? I was also considering a Clever Dripper but I'd have to order it online, and my local Bed Bath and Beyond has a French Press already. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading: Will Press, Hario Slim, and Fresh Beans Be Good Start?

I'm far from an expert, but I had a french press for years, and the coffee was never great as my grinder's pretty crappy (Cuisinart Burr grinder).  The extended steep time in a press with a mix of fines and boulders didn't allow for the interesting flavors to come through.

Even with my crap grinder using an Aeropress and fresh beans from Intelligencia was a life changing event.  I can't recommend an AeroPress enough.
 View Profile Link to this post
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:53pm

I used a french press with a crappy grinder and it worked fine.  I plan on using it again when I need to brew multiple cups of coffee at once.  It's pretty easy to use and isn't that hard to clean up.

EDIT:  CheapBastid, my grinder was a crappy Cuisinart burr grinder as well.  Maybe the coffee wasn't as good as I remembered but once I upgraded I couldn't even get my parents to take it over their blade grinder.  They said it just didn't grind fine enough (which was true).
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:38pm

The slim is a better grinder than that cr@p cuisinart those guys are talking about. If you go with the chambord press, consider the filter mod offered on sweet Maria's. it'll give you a cleaner cup (less fines).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:31am

emradguy Said:

The slim is a better grinder than that cr@p cuisinart

Posted February 18, 2013 link

I'm not going to argue with you about the Cuisinart being crap (don't I know it).  But it seems (from my reading) that the slim may not be the best choice for press, as the burrs have 'play' when grinding coarse.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 9:34pm

Sorry about the typos in my previous post. I'll fix them in a minute.

Take a look at the Hario Skerton. It's basically the same grinder as the slim, but higher capacity and slightly more expensive. Orphan Espresso offers a $15 mod to stabilize the upper burr, thereby improving it's press pot capability. Of course, if you can part with $180, you can just buy a Lido.

TMiller

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 3:20pm
Subject: L

That's what I was trying to figure out, whether the Hario would be able properly grind for a French Press. I hear that its coarsest setting is good enough for a "passable" French Press grind, a little on the finer side. That's why I am kind of skeptical.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 9:14pm
Subject: Re: L

I think it's at least worth researching the Skerton with the OE mod, unless your interested in the Lido.

Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:51am

TMiller Said:

That's what I was trying to figure out, whether the Hario would be able properly grind for a French Press. I hear that its coarsest setting is good enough for a "passable" French Press grind, a little on the finer side. That's why I am kind of skeptical.

Posted February 20, 2013 link

I'm happy to offer some opinions as I started with the Hario Mini and a french press. I quickly moved on to an electric burr grinder and never looked back. While the french press is the easiest brewer from the standpoint of someone new to coffee, I really feel that you need a better grinder to get the most out of it. If you really do not want to spring for something such as the Baratza Encore or an OE LIDO (my highest recommendation for a manual grinder in that price range), I would recommend that you look at an Aeropress. I used an Aeropress with a Hario Mini and Skerton and it worked great. They are great for travel AND home. That said, I would advocate investing in a higher quality grinder if you will continue drinking coffee. It's a worthwhile investment and if you think you may upgrade at some point anyways, a grinder is the one piece of equipment that I would recommend jumping to the top for.

... just my own personal experience and my resulting opinions.

Hope it helps!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:52am

French Press. I think its continuing popularity is due to low cost and the number of posts that come up on searches. I my opinion, it is an obsolete coffee-making appliance. Sure, it is easy to use and costs very little (comparatively speaking) but the amount of sludge in the coffee and the bitterness it creates is intolerable to me. There are better choices:

1 - For a lot less money, get a pour over device. This can be something as simple as the Melitta cones which go from a one cup size to a full pot size. Starting for about $5.

2 - Making the French press obsolete from the moment it was introduced is the Espro press. Works like a press pot but with a modern filter system that virtually eliminates the sludge. You get the full body of press pot but without the crunchiness. These are quite a bit more expensive than a french press but the vacuum insulated stainless steel vessel will survive a drop in teh sink, keeps the coffee hot, and the filter works so well that after pressing the brew stops. In a French press, the water is still in contact with the coffee and over extraction can take place if left too long.

You might also consider a cordless kettle, but check user reviews on Amazon before purchase as the majority of them do not last and/or have numerous problems.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Upgrading: Will...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285171031952)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+