Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 99 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
imsnowbear
imsnowbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Skioutwest Said:

Add me to the list of faithful owners that have a unit that is short potting.  I use softened water from my Alex Duetto and I also tried to run two treatments with Durgol and the problem is getting worse.

I am a good customer of Behmor ( also have a 1600 roaster) and I am a bit annoyed that they have not replied to my two emails over the past three weeks.

Has anyone heard from Joe recently?  I would expect at least a short reply....something.....

Seems that this is a resolvable issue if it is only a part malfunction.....let's hope it is, because despite this setback it really is a revolutionary product.

-Mark

Posted July 4, 2013 link

My problem with excess residual water was apparently because of a vacuum/vapor lock in the heating chamber. Apparently there were some problems with improperly manufactured lids. Leaving the lid loose solved the problem. I have now drilled a small hole in the cover to relieve the negative pressure in the chamber which allows me to lock the lid in place. I haven't yet had a problem with incomplete water flow since. You might also wish to review my posts at this forum: "Re: Behmor Brazen users weigh in"? starting on page 7.

hth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Skioutwest

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (convert from...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:36pm

imsnowbear Said:

My problem with excess residual water was apparently because of a vacuum/vapor lock in the heating chamber. Apparently there were some problems with improperly manufactured lids. Leaving the lid loose solved the problem. I have now drilled a small hole in the cover to relieve the negative pressure in the chamber which allows me to lock the lid in place. I haven't yet had a problem with incomplete water flow since. You might also wish to review my posts at this forum: "Re: Behmor Brazen users weigh in"? starting on page 7.

hth

Posted July 8, 2013 link

Thanks imsnowbear.  I think the lid was part of my problem.  The issue is not resolved but it improved.  I also sprayed the drain hole while holding the unit upside down.

Will work with this for a few weeks And will see how it goes.  I purchased my unit when it first came out, so maybe I have one of those defective lids.  It does fit on tight....one time when calibrating the lid actually got stuck...

-Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 6:39pm

I believe, when calibrating the units, the lid should be off
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 8:25am

Yeah, the user manual states that the lid should be removed for calibration. The brewer attempts to boil water just to see how hot it can get it. As the boiling point of water is directly related to altitude, it's really just to ensure the altitude calibration is correct so it can place an upper limit on how hot you can set it.

Made the mistake of keeping the lid on for the first calibration, it made such a racket I thought it was going to pop the lid off. Then I actually READ the manual for initial setup...
steelgtr

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 3:46pm

subscribing
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 10:15am

Reporting both bad and good news.  Got my original Brazen in Oct 2012.  By Feb 2013 it had acquired the dreaded very slow flow problem.  Citric acid cleaning made no difference, but I'm in a very soft water area, so limescale is unlikely.  It only got worse.  Behmor support replaced the unit, and all was well.

Then a few days ago I noticed the abnormal amount of water left in the reservoir.   Did a flow test and over an inch left from a full pot after 4 min.  Tried multiple citric acid cleanings with no change.  Then I read the post about spraying the drain hole over the sink, so did a thorough upside down spraying for at least 30 seconds.  Let it sit overnight and this morning did my standard brew, checked the reservoir and it was totally empty.  Just did a full pot manual drain test and it emptied completely in about 2 min.  I'm amazed.  From that awful sinking "not again" feeling, to working perfectly.

I always use filtered water, so no idea what may have gotten in there, but for now I'm flying again.  Had to pass this along, and thanks to the OP for the spraying tip.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 7:45pm

My Brazen works well.

But lately, when cleaning up, I run my fingers under the shower-head and they come out full of grinds.   Makes me wonder if grounds can somehow work their way up the shower head and cause a blockage.

Jerry
cafedj

Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 7:56pm

JKalpin Said:

My Brazen works well.

But lately, when cleaning up, I run my fingers under the shower-head and they come out full of grinds.   Makes me wonder if grounds can somehow work their way up the shower head and cause a blockage.

Posted August 11, 2013 link

I swipe that bottom spray head surface once in a while with a damp paper towel but so far haven't gotten any grind residue.  Comes out clean.  I'm thinking you're using a large amount of grounds and getting a lot of bloom.   If that's possible perhaps up the pre-soak time to keep the bloom down during actual brewing.  Another possibility could be your flow rate is so high, or grind so fine blocking the filter, the basket is filling up up too high.  Do you ever get any overflow on the outside of the basket?
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 5:38am

...Actually, yes.  The basket does not run over but the grounds come up over the top edge.

My grind is slightly coarser than kosher salt.  The brew is ...where I like it.  If it were too weak I would grind finer and too 'intense' I would grind coarser.  In that case I will increase the pre-soak time.

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
cafedj

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 7:10am

JKalpin Said:

...Actually, yes.  The basket does not run over but the grounds come up over the top edge.

My grind is slightly coarser than kosher salt.  The brew is ...where I like it.  If it were too weak I would grind finer and too 'intense' I would grind coarser.  In that case I will increase the pre-soak time.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted August 12, 2013 link

Sorry, I didn't really respond to your suggestion that grounds entering the bottom holes might be causing blockage.  In my situation that doesn't seem very plausible for several reasons.  I'm not seeing grounds on the bottom surface.  I did inspect the drain hole in the reservoir with a flashlight and saw nothing unusual, like coffee grounds.  I'd be really surprised if grounds could migrate against the water flow all the way through the valve and up to a point where using a sprayer into the drain hole would clean them out.  I can only assume in my case that some particulates collected in the screen and spray flushing removed it.

As for your grounds over the edge of the basket, I do think that's one of the reasons the pre-soak feature is there.   But I'm also possibly the last to figure out it can make a big taste difference as well.  I brew a partial pot on a daily basis, and have left the pre-soak time at one setting, using grind and temp to adjust the taste.   But now that my flow rate is so much faster I was getting a bit thinner tasting brew.  So I tried upping the pre-soak to see if it would get richer.  I went from 1:45 to 2:45 and it really produced a big improvement in the cup.  As much as a degree or two temp change.   A whole other variable to focus on tweaking.  Yet another reason the Brazen is unrivaled in user configurable drip brewers.

Edit: I had another thought about your grinds over the top issue.  It may be as simple as something blocking the basket drain hole.  Perhaps some grounds that got around the filter?  Verifying it's clean and clear seems worth the effort.
showing page 99 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385950088501)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+