Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Mass Amounts of Coffee
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mass Amounts of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rdennhardt
rdennhardt
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Mass Amounts of Coffee

Hey everyone,
I have been given the task of improving our coffee situation in the office/plant  We have 350 employees and currently use a larue coffee extract machine...it was here when I got here!  not my fault!  I was thinking about going with a Fetco 3 gallon brewer but dont want the coffee to sit and I know that it will.  I dont think people will know the difference and Im sure it will still be 1,000 times better than what we have even after its been sitting for 6 hours...but...I just cant allow it.  Im wondering if there is a product or company that does an extract or one cup brew system that is good.  I know im asking alot but I need to weigh all options before training these folks how to brew coffee.  just to give you an idea, in the month of January we went through 832oz of extract wich equals 3,744 eight ounce cups of cofee.  I ready for your sugestions!

Thanks
Ryan Dennhardt
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:24am
Subject: Re: Mass Amounts of Coffee

HI
Is there going to be a person devoted to making coffee or is the "system" along the lines of "if the pot is empty, make a new one" ?

There is nothing as good as high quality coffee, freshly roasted, properly and FRESHLY ground (hint, you need a grinder too, ground coffee goes stale in about 15 minutes) and brewed. With your volume, I would guess you can get a bluk discount but even then I would expect to pay more than $8 per pound, that could add up very quickly.

Any of the major manufacturers make quality equipment. Bunn, Fetco, Newco to name but a few.  Most high end coffee shops will brew into air pots for rapid service drip coffee. They also do by the cup brewing for those who ask for it. When they make the air pots, they put a timer on it and when it gets to be 1 hour post brewing, what is left in the pot goes down the drain and a new pot is brewed.

Your stated volume of coffee use, when evenly divided over the month works out to only 23.4  8 oz cups per hour (4 weeks x 8 hr day= 160 hours. 3744 "cups" / 160= 23.4 cups per hour) . I would guess that most coffee though is used in the morning and a lot less in the afternoon so if all the consumption was only in the first 4 hours, then you are looking at a system that brews 50 of your cups per hour or (50 x 8 =) 400 oz / hr or just over 3 gal per hour.

You also need to discuss distrubution, how big is the plant, how many coffee stations do you need? How are you going to get the coffee from the brewing station to the serving stations?

You have to answer those kind of questions for us to give much more help.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rdennhardt
rdennhardt
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 2:59pm

The process if we go with Fetco or any other manual brewing set up will be...if you drink the last cup you start a new pot.  I will be doing a company wide training to ensure the most consitant brew.  I generally choose Fetco as it is what I used when owning my own coffee shop, I also have a contract with them as a consultant and sell their equipment when I do training jobs.  Thankfully I can get coffee a bit cheaper than 8.00 so that will help.  my biggest concern is waste and the coffee sitting.  the system now is ready when they need it...it just sucks!  I would like to drastically improve this, but it needs to be realistic for this to work out
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 8:37am

I know of a company here in Kitchener, ON that just came out with large super auto machines ideal for office/workplace.  They grind fresh and the company will supply coffee, milk, cream, sugar.  They are custom made and I have tried them they produce good cup of coffee as well as other hot drinks.  PM me if you would like more info.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mass Amounts of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218506097794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+