Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need suggestions for a travel kit
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need suggestions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
pwest
pwest
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Vario
Drip: TV, Moka Pot, Aeropress
Roaster: Stirred Turbo Oven
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 5:35pm
Subject: Re: Need suggestions for a travel kit

One problem that I consistently had when using my AP on the road was that I needed to press into paper cups--how do all you guys manage that? (maybe I should search that 6-million post AP thread!) Ultimately, I switched to a Cuissential SlickDrip which takes up less room in my bag and works well with the paper cups, but tends to yield an inferior brew.

-Phil
 View Profile Link to this post
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 6:20pm

I wouldn't use even sealed pre ground coffee. Any of the aforementioned grinders will work. I personally don't like the aeropress and use a clever dripper, see sweet marias site clickhere . If you end up with a pourover, I'd save up for a Lido, it is so much better and you may find a used one.

Marvin
flygrl

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:38pm

So I have my kit which includes AP, Bonavita kettle and porlex grinder..After using the hand grinder Im considering switching to a smaller electric one..i can spare the extra room in my suitcase for the convenience!  Any suggestions on a good one? I would prefer to buy one that is versatile for home use as well.  I sometimes i I'm in a hurry will use a drip maker or sometimes I will use a french press.  But I will be using it mostly for the aeropress. I only grind enough for one to two cups at a time.  Any suggestions would be great! You all have been super helpful!! Thank You Again!!
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Espresso: Cremina 67 Lever,  LCM HX
Grinder: HG One, Forte BG
Drip: Mellita #2 cone
Roaster: jiffy pop
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 2:25am

Here's a really nice kit if you don't mind the cost.

Click Here (www.3sixteen.com)
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:01pm

Personally I've not been that happy with the coffee out of the Aeropress compared to a good old pourover.  My travel kit when flying to my destination is a Bodum Mini Ibis for heating the water, a version of the Hario Skerton for grinding and either a melitta or a Swissgold pourover for brewing.  Also, freshly roasted beans of course.  When traveling to some countries in Asia I don't even bring the boiler because every place I've ever stayed in China, Macau, Hong Kong and Korea has had a water boiler in the room or a boiling water dispenser available nearby.  

The hotel coffeemakers never heat the water to an appropriate temp for brewing coffee and even if they do (but THEY DON'T) once the water hits the carafe it is too cool for brewing into another container.  Anyone that is using that method could improve your coffee by bringing your own boiler.  If you don't have room for it then bring a submersion boiler - takes up next to no room.  The Mini Ibis is pretty comopact though.  Very slim.  

EDIT: Sorry, Flygrl - didn't see your post that you'd already gotten a setup.  Good grinders tend to be bulky, even the small ones.  I have flown a few times with my Capresso Infinity but I wouldn't recommend it for regular flight.  You might want to consider funding this Canadian Kickstarter - it looks perfect for your needs:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/656926369/maroon-portable-coffee-brewing-system?ref=live

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 8:12pm

weebit_nutty Said:

Here's a really nice kit if you don't mind the cost.

Click Here (www.3sixteen.com)

Posted February 27, 2014 link

Aeropress with filters: $26
Porlex mini: $40
AWS SC-2KG: $19
12 oz bag from Handsome: $18
Total: $103

So that means you're buying a $225 leather case and putting a Porlex and an Aeropress in it.
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:28pm

Yup.   Pricey, yes, but it's certainly better carrying your kit in a hipsack or toilet bag.  Things made and crafted have a reason to be expensive.    How bout you find me something as nice for what you think it should cost ;)  I'd quite appreciate it!
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 2:42pm

It seems backwards to have a container that's more expensive than the contents. I personally don't want so nice a case for carrying inexpensive coffee equipment. I'd rather have something less flashy, less like a designer purse. Functional. If I were making something custom I'd add foam padding and dividers (both of which are missing in that leather case), and use a zipper opening instead of a buckle. Off the shelf there are a lot of camera cases that would work.

I personally use an old insulated water bottle carrier like the one on the left in the attached photo. It has plenty of soft foam to to keep my equipment (particularly the scale) from being damaged when dropped or squashed. It's a little bit too small but I can fit my Aeropress, paper filters, mini Porlex, a pocket scale, a thermometer, a small porcelain cup, a cloth and enough beans for a few mornings. The whole thing is nice and compact and weighs around two pounds.

jpender: OR bottle carrier.jpg
(Click for larger image)
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 7:30pm

Heh... Or how boy that idiot that spent several hundred on a watch that only tells the time... The nerve ...  ;)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need suggestions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270882844925)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+