Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Suggestions/Opinions on a gift
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Suggestions/Opinions on a gift

I guess I'll start off by saying hello. I'm a first time poster, long time lurker and looking for some opinions on what I think could be an awesome gift for my brother.

So I've just started into home roasting (using an air popper) and it's opened my eyes to the heights coffee can attain. Now I want to convert (turn?) him to fresh roasted coffee. To that end I intend to give him a 1/2 lbs of Brazil Santos 2 (one of his current favorites), that I roasted either that day or the day before and an "exotic" implement to brew it with for his birthday.

I know he has a good burr grinder and a french press already and fairly certain nothing else. I would like to get him something that can brew a good cup but doesn't become a "white elephant", being difficult or expensive to use and maintain.

My current favorite would be a nice Hario V60 Ceramic pourover. I already own a pourover myself and I know it's neither difficult nor expensive but not a very exciting way to brew coffee.

My other thoughts were a Chemex 6 cup pourover, an Aeropress or a Vacuum Pot (such as a Hario "Moca"). Now I neither own nor have used any of these, but I'd like to get him something intresting that he wouldn't necessarily buy for himself.

How hard are the Chemex, Aeropress or Vacuum pot to use correctly and clean or should I just stick with the V60?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 3:42pm
Subject: Re: Suggestions/Opinions on a gift

Aeropress is very, very easy to clean, and makes great coffee.  It's also fantastic for travel.  If you want to really spruce it up, order him a "gold" filter for it.

I've never used a vac pot, but they seem to be more complicated and fragile.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 2:37am

As to ease of use, Chemex is probably less fussy than single-cup pourover IMO, at least after one gets the brew parameters figured out.

Vacpot is not particularly difficult to use -- again, after a bit of learning -- but cleanup is a bit of a hassle, so it might be a turnoff. It's my favorite brew method, but I'd say one of the other three would be the appropriate "gateway drug" -- if he turns out to love geeking on the process, that vacpot would make a swell gift for next year.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 5:19am

Absolutely agree with the chemex, which I use every day, but the even more "exotic"  vacuum pot makes you a nifty gifter. I recall giving one to my son-in-law and how he would put on a show for his party guests. The "ooohs" for the display and the "aaaahs" of his guests for its product were gratifying.

Either way, thoughtful gift!
RandomTask

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 8:47am

Thanks for your opinions guys! I'll probably order an Aeropress for myself (and take it to work) and a Chemex for my brother. The Vacpot I might keep in mind for Chirstmas depending on how he does with the Chemex. I've still got a couple of months before his birhtday to get the roast of the Santos right and I might just keep the Chemex for myself if I think he'd prefer the Aeropress. I know he likes to "tinker" with things, I just don't know how much trial and error he'd put up with for his coffee.

I never really gave it much thought, but the pourover is fussy till you get the pour down.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:33am

Since your brother has a good burr grinder and a French press, would you say he enjoys his coffee using those items?  Does he like the flavor profile and consistency of texture from his French press?

In particular, what do you think are his expectations as to what a good cup constitutes?  Has he sampled the brighter, more filtered, and often weaker brew that results from a Hario or Chemex in comparison with a French press?

If he has shown that he can also enjoy a brighter, more filtered, and possibly weaker cup than your typical French press drinker, then all of your choices seem great.  But if he seems to prefer the stronger brew most people typically associate with a French press, then I'd eliminate both the Hario and the Chemex from your choices, leaving the Aeropress and the siphon.  And in addition I would strongly encourage you to consider two other paperless immersion style brewers, both of which are capable of approaching the flavor and texture profile of a French press, while achieving a much less bitter result:  the Eva Solo CafeSolo and the Sowden Softbrew.  The former will come closest to French press, and is slightly easier to clean up.  The latter needs to be nuked in a microwave to get its mojo on, because it loses heat quickly, but tends to bring out the acidity more than the CafeSolo.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 3:02am

barkingburro Said:

Since your brother has a good burr grinder and a French press, would you say he enjoys his coffee using those items?  Does he like the flavor profile and consistency of texture from his French press?

In particular, what do you think are his expectations as to what a good cup constitutes?  Has he sampled the brighter, more filtered, and often weaker brew that results from a Hario or Chemex in comparison with a French press?

Posted February 8, 2013 link

Pourover brew is weaker than FP only if (at least one of the two is) executed improperly. There's no problem getting a Chemex or Hario to produce the optimal brew strength. True, due to oils and suspended particulate, the FP brew is going to have a heavier mouthfeel.
RandomTask

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 8:19am

I'm not sure of his opinion on the mouthfeel and heavyness that comes with a french press. Unfortunately as I want to give him this as a gift I don't really want to grill him for too much info. I think he just enjoys the fuller flavours that he gets from the french press over his automatic drip. This could have everything to do with him having a lower brew temp on his automatic drip, which all of these methods would negate.
KoHiLabs
KoHiLabs

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Press Pot,...
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:45pm

My vote is the Chemex route. I agree with johnnyb3 that it is a bit more forgiving than the V60 (which I also love). It's not quite as easy to clean as the V60, but it is easier than a press pot.

Beyond brewing great coffee the iconic Chemex design is such a classic—it looks great on the shelf while it's not brewing coffee. The timeless design will be enjoyed for years. If you want to kick it up further, the Able Brewing Kone is a nice complement to the Chemex.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:50pm

A heartily given gift has nothing to do of how the things are hard to maintain or clean after using it. It is only your thinking that makes the things hard to handle. What is important is the height of coffee your brother can attain. Either Chemex, Aeropress or Vaccum pot can be a valuable gift for him for a coffee brew on his birthday.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28498005867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+