Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress Metal Disks
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress Metal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:20pm
Subject: Aeropress Metal Disks

There are a few of these out there.
Does one make a noticeably better cup than the others?
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 3:47pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress Metal Disks

The Disk, Disk Fine, and S-filter. I own all three and it is MY PLEASURE to write up a little review.

The Disk: This is a thick and dependable filter that would take effort to bend or break. It produces a full and thick cup with sediment in the bottom. Cleaner than a french press for sure, but more sediment than the other two filters. It works with regular and inverted aeropress methods and is straightforward.

The Disk Fine: This filter is MUCH more thin and will take on little ripples across its surface over time. Still, if you take care of it, it will last. I've used mine a lot since getting it and have loved traveling with it once I got used to the thinness. The holes are much smaller than the regular Disk and produce a much cleaner cup, still with the oils and fill body. I love this Disk for the cleaner last sip. Works with both regular and inverted methods.

The S-Filter: This filter is different than the Disks. It features a metal circle with mesh welded onto it. The mesh is VERY fine and lets in even less sediment than the Disk Fine. It has the durability of the regular Disk as well making this a contender. My one issue with it is that it lets too much water drain through to use it with a regular method, but it is amazing with an inverted method.

I personally love regular methods and use an 18g/275ml ratio, so the Disk Fine is my favorite, but if I travel, I often take the s-filter.

Good luck - hope this helps.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 8:43pm

Thank you, Sam21. That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I received a standard Able Disk as a Christmas present and find I prefer the coffee I press through it over the paper filters. So naturally I am curious about the other disks. I know this is a matter of opinion. So much in coffee is opinion. De gustibus non est disputandum, I think is the standard phrase.

By the way, why Sam21? You're 24 now!
Sam21

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 8:46pm

jpender Said:

Thank you, Sam21. That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I received a standard Able Disk as a Christmas present and find I prefer the coffee I press through it over the paper filters. So naturally I am curious about the other disks. I know this is a matter of opinion. So much in coffee is opinion. De gustibus non est disputandum, I think is the standard phrase.

By the way, why Sam21? You're 24 now!

Posted February 8, 2013 link

Definitely a matter of opinion. I don't think you could go wrong with a Disk Fine in addition to the regular disk.

Hockey number - stuck with me over the years since!
KoHiLabs
KoHiLabs

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Press Pot,...
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 1:19pm

Thanks Sam21 for the great review of the different filters. What sort of grind are you using?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 1:21pm

KoHiLabs Said:

Thanks Sam21 for the great review of the different filters. What sort of grind are you using?

Posted February 12, 2013 link

That is always the most difficult question. I use a 1.3mm on my Rosco, which is like coarse salt. I wouldn't go as far as to say sea salt coarse, but it is right around what you would use for a V60 - not fine, but not in that medium drip range that you would use for a Beehouse/Kalita. My grind really does not change with the different filters, although I am sure I could go even finer with the s-filter. Maybe I would go finer, short contact time, and quick press.

I could always grind a few beans and post a pic, but I hope this is helpful!
KoHiLabs
KoHiLabs

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Press Pot,...
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 1:42pm

Thank you Sam21. Very helpful. I wish we had an easier way to discuss grind in the coffee world. It's such a critical variable, but we have no practical way to precisely convey the exact particle size. If you have a chance to post photos at some point, I'm sure that would be helpful to those also trying to determine optimal grind. Cheers.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 1:46pm

KoHiLabs Said:

Thank you Sam21. Very helpful. I wish we had an easier way to discuss grind in the coffee world. It's such a critical variable, but we have no practical way to precisely convey the exact particle size. If you have a chance to post photos at some point, I'm sure that would be helpful to those also trying to determine optimal grind. Cheers.

Posted February 12, 2013 link

Absolutely. I don't have any beans to throw in my Rosco at the moment, but when I do, I will happily snap a picture and upload it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress Metal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289356946945)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+