Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Starbucks barista brew temp.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:44pm
Subject: Re: Starbucks barista brew temp.

Martin, did you get the SJ  and new burr question resolved?  If not, try starting a new thread with some SJ title and hopefully you will get the answer.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:45pm

martisan Said:

I just checked the instructions, which don't say much about anything. It definitely had no mention of what you are referring to.  My only modification is de-pressurized pf.  I happened to stumble across Saeco's instructions on how to use the  unmodified pf, which Starbucks didn't even mention, although that now means nothing to me.
   When the ready/brew light is on does that indicate weather the heating element is on, or just went off, or something else?
                                              Thanks- Martin

Posted February 11, 2013 link

Martin, for grins (humor me...lol) when that brew light goes off, open the steam valve for a couple of seconds, close. Feel the steam coming outs. If it's HOT, well, maybe your's is a new model. If wet and only semi-hot, then this is the correct procedure.
I BET you the boiler will come back on and STAY on for at least 30 seconds. To me, that indicates the  machiune only reached operatingn tempo when  the wand bleed is incorporated in your routine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:47pm

D4F Said:

I thought that the false pressure bleed was for machines with P-stats.  That would affect a pressure sensor and then the temperature controlled by pressure.  I should stick with my Gaggia, but thought other SBDUs were similar.  I know that you need to make sure that the boiler is full of water or you blunt the pump pressure and can cook the element.

Edit;  My apology as well if wrong or out of line.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

Your doing a FINE job, never a need to apologize!!
BTW, which model is your Gaggia. if it has a 3 way release valve, then THAT'S why you don't have to release pressure. Craig, or someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here.
I've been a lever guy a LONG while now! :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
D4F

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:55pm

Rob, Thank you.  I have a Classic and 3 way.  I have never heard of SBDU machines adjusting temperature by relieving false pressure.  My steam is always wet for several seconds and the steam is PID controlled.  OTOH, any bleeding off of water or steam can lower the temperature enough to click on thermostats.  To me that is a way of surfing the temperature.  I only know the term false pressure and its relation to temperature with P-stats, not T-stats.

I feel the need to apologize if I offend, whether right or wrong in the discussion.  Being wrong is part of learning at times, poor presentation is not.  Sometimes tone and intent does not come across well in print.

Fred

D4F also at
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:16pm

D4F Said:

Rob, Thank you.  I have a Classic and 3 way.  I have never heard of SBDU machines adjusting temperature by relieving false pressure.  My steam is always wet for several seconds and the steam is PID controlled.  OTOH, any bleeding off of water or steam can lower the temperature enough to click on thermostats.  To me that is a way of surfing the temperature.  I only know the term false pressure and its relation to temperature with P-stats, not T-stats.

I feel the need to apologize if I offend, whether right or wrong in the discussion.  Being wrong is part of learning at times, poor presentation is not.  Sometimes tone and intent does not come across well in print.

Fred

Posted February 11, 2013 link

Fred, I NEVER picked up anything remotely offensive, sir!
Yeppers, I realize opening the wand will cause the boiler to come on, but I don't believe it causes (in most cases0m a loss of temperature, at least not with my fromer Cremina. It was the opposite, in fact.
The lack of a release gives the machine the idea it's ALREADY at a proper temperature, which it's not (with machines of which I speak.)
Again, I may be off base here. My current frame of reference is my (now former) Olympia Cremina lever, which has no release of pressure, but has a pstat...a Ma-ter.
The steam valve MUST be opened to allow the machine's boiler to reach it's true temperature. In this case there is no reservoir, you pour directly into the boiler, so THEREIN may be the reason my premise could be faulty.
I will look for my old manual from the Barista. I am POSITIVE it, and the Briel Chamonix, required the steam wand opened. Some of the earlier machines, like the Solis 70 "suggested" that to get the machine to temperature to proper temperature, run 7-8 oz of water through the wand and group.

This is all semantics, but if our OP is trying tom operate his machine 10 minutes after he turned it on, it will be well below operating temperature, IMO.
It can't hurt to bleed the wand 2 seconds, and let that little boiler come on again.

Again, as was mentioned, you have been the hero on this thread, and exemplify what a good CG member should be about. We have MANY such members, and for that all us "old timers" are grateful.

BTW, I've NEVER admitted to owning a Briel, so I guess I'm "out-ted!"

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
D4F

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 6:28pm

A note to end the false pressure discussion and hopefully bring it to the correct conclusion.  Rob and I think that we resolved this off forum and share our findings about how differing machines handled their rise to proper temperature.

This quote from Bill Crossland on HB,
“One simple way I used to explain this to customers is: Everything expands when heated. Gases expand faster than solids. In the case of a steam boiler with air and water; when heated the gas (the air) expands much faster than the solid (the water). The pressure in the boiler increases quickly due to the expanding air. The expanding air causes the pressure switch to activate, turning off the heating element. Once the air is released and is replaced by water vapor then everything returns to normal.”

and a similar thread in CG
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/599391

Machines without P-stats, the inexpensive SBDUs, should not have this explanation as pressure has no way to control temperature.  As it happens, the Cremina has no vacuum breaker...unless you buy the newer Cremina boiler cap which has this. But people burn themselves on it when removing it.

So Martin, sorry for the diversion and it does not seem to apply to your machine.

D4F also at
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 6:33pm

Yes, THANKS Martin!
Thanks to you as well, Fred.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491099119186)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+