Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Is my Brikka broken?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Is my Brikka...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
s3cur3

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 6:27am
Subject: Is my Brikka broken?

Hi all,

I received a Brikka as a gift a few months ago, but so far, it's been a disaster. I've attempted to brew 2 pots so far, and both wound up being a burnt mess.

Here's the method I used to brew:
  1. Fill the bottom chamber with water, to a bit below the pressure release valve (mine didn't come with a measuring cup for the water that some people seem to have...).
  2. Preheat my small electric burner to high.
  3. Fill the coffee chamber with grounds, without pressing them down. (Using my Hario hand grinder, I set the grind to about as fine as I use with my Aeropress.)
  4. Screw the top chamber on tightly, and place the Brikka on the stove.

Now, after 3 minutes or so on the stove, the Brikka makes a sort of rumbling sound (like the water inside is boiling), but *nothing comes out* in the top chamber. I've left it for another 3 minutes after that (total of 6 minutes), and still nothing. When I finally take it off the burner and let it sit for awhile (so I can disassemble it), I find the water in the bottom chamber is thick and black. It looks like coffee that's been brewed twice as long as it should--imagine that!

Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong?
 View Profile Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 7:30am
Subject: Re: Is my Brikka broken?

I use my Brikka every weekend and have not had the problem you described.  A couple of thoughts.  One, you might be grinding too fine.  Try a coarser grind.  Two, maybe your small electric burner doesn't reach a sufficiently high temperature.  I place my Brikka on high (7 on a scale of 10) on my electric stove and turn it down to 4 when coffee starts coming out the spout. It takes about 4 to 5 minutes before coffee starts coming out the spout.  Good luck with the Brikka, which produces a great brew.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:37am

Check the widget on the top, if it moves freely up and down then process of elimination says your grind is to fine. I didn't get a measuring cup either, there should be a line on the inside of the reservoir around the valve, that is the top fill line which is about 3/8" below the valve. If the grind is too fine then it will just percolate in the bottom reservoir as the valve releases pressure. I find the Brikka likes a coarser grind then moka pots and aeropress.
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 7:47pm

Sounds like it could be too fine. Mine doesn't do that at all.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
s3cur3

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 9:31pm

Yep, I think my grind was too fine. Using a coarser grind, I got great coffee after about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the help!
TrabucoDom

Espresso: CXE-25 , moka pots
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: aeropress / french presses
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:04pm

If you are filling your brikka to the valve, that is much too much water...the moka pots get filled to the valve area but the brikka is about half that.
The older brikka came with a measuring cup but the newer ones have a level bar in the top chamber then you pour that water into the bottom chamber...

If you have a 4-tasse brikka, then the water measures to just over 1/2 cup....but I use exactly a half cup because I think it tastes a little better.

I wish bialetti would just put a measuring line in the bottom chamber...I have some moka pots made by other Italian makers and they have the line in the bottom chamber...for me, it is much easier for measuring when it is there.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Is my Brikka...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231232881546)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+