Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Pull (Tirra)?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:56am
Subject: Re: French Pull (Tirra)?

Looks neat, I called Espresso Supply (Bonavita's new distributor) and they said to check back in early Feb to find out when it will be available.

In the mean time, does anyone know if there's a good gold filter that fits in a CCD?
 View Profile Link to this post
CheapBastid

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 2:17pm

Took another look at the large Espro and it occured to me that it could possibly be used as a French Pull if the coffee was placed inside the basket.

Is this a horrible idea?  Can it be easily disassembled and cleaned out if used 'in reverse' of how it is designed?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 3:18pm

PTI, but why not do what we vac pot folks do, and just decant into Nissan or other thermal carafe?
Whatever sediment might get in there would sure sink to the bottom in less than 30 seconds.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CheapBastid

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 3:21pm

IMAWriter Said:

why not ... just decant into Nissan or other thermal carafe?

Posted February 4, 2013 link

Trying to minimize the number of items in the coffee arsenal to keep the wife happy.

=)

As the Espro is 'pretty' and insulated it seems that it can serve as an excellent thermal decanter for serving coffee with, so long as I can get the coffee out of it and stop it from getting bitter.

Another possible option is the Sowden SoftBrew but it's not insulated.
VernS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 8:33pm

The large Espro press could definitely be used as a pull but there could be some issues.

The top 3 cm of the Espro flares outward in a funnel shape and any coffee grounds that do not stay in the basket could stick here and then drop back down into the coffee or be washed into your cup when pouring.

It will be difficult to keep the basket and gasket perfectly level for the final few inches of the extraction. When inserting the basket I like to rest my hand on the handle so I can use my fingers to precisely guide the shaft. You would not be able to use this technique when removing the grounds from your coffee unless you wore gloves, since the shaft will be to hot to touch.

You could eliminate these issues if you did not lower the top of the basket below the surface of the water, but it would likely greatly extend the extraction time required. This might work but I have no problems with bitterness using the normal Espro press method, even if I let some of the coffee sit for an hour. The isolation provided the double filtering, sediment layers and thin layer of coffee is quit amazing.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226141214371)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+