Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinder suitable for Turkish coffee
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder suitable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jakeyz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 2:42pm
Subject: Grinder suitable for Turkish coffee

Hi.. I really need some help trying to find a grinder suitable for Turkish coffee. I bought my mother a Christmas gift since she needed a new grinder and I purchased the Bodum Bistro which cost me about $100. She is quite particular about her coffee and she needs something that can produce extra fine grinds.

The Bodum unfortunately did not make the cut. The grinds were fine.. but not extra fine. By hand you can feel the slight difference between her old machine and the new one.

Can someone please recommend something in the price range of $100 or so that can produce extra fine grinds suitable for Turkish coffee??
 View Profile Link to this post
oktyone

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:42pm
Subject: Re: Grinder suitable for Turkish coffee

Have you considered buying a manual grinder rather than an electric one? i'm not entirely sure, but i don't think you can find an electric grinder capable of doing an ultra fine turkish grind for less than 100$, i could be wrong though, but if using a bit of force isn't much of an issue, i suggest you check the Sözen brand Turkish hand grinders, i bought mine for around 30$+shipping from www.turkishmill.com
They're incredibly well made.

Note. ...The "Sovan" plump is what I'm ordering. I no longer have my Olympia Cremina, so I'm doing the turkish thing. I'm "roasting" my cardamom tomorrow.
I believe the link is now repaired.
Owl

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:11pm

I agree with the poster above me. Buy a Turk handmill. I have a Zass.

It's worth the effort. I've never had a bad cup out of it.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:32pm

Moderator note...I'll try and repair your link, the (,) is causing the problem.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jakeyz

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 9:38pm

Thank you for the replies however I need an electric one.  She drinks a lot of coffee and my dad too.  And they are both very busy people.  We have a mill which you mentioned already as well,  but want something automated.

I have tried 3 different grinders,  one specifically said it could grind suitable for turkish coffee but it did not pass the test

The search continues
Owl

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 9:04am

Hmm, I don't know. I've always ground by hand because I think the cup is completely different even from an electric grinder. Maybe it's the labor. "I worked for it."

If you do find one that grinds that fine would you post it here? I'm curious to see who gets it right.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:28am

I think I've seen a whirly blade coffee/spice grinder recommended before - it was specifically said that this is only form of coffee that these grinders are good for.

Just had a quick look - it's the Sweet Maria's page for the Bodum Bistro blade mill (not the more expensive Bodum Bistro burr mill).  Certainly my Bistro Burr can't grind fine enough for espresso, so it definitely can't get coarse enough for Turkish.
Pfunk

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 5:05pm

I've had a zassenhaus hand-crank turkish grinder that was excellent.  I dunno, the process of brewing turkish coffee takes some time already.  I think the time to grind by hand was something like 60 seconds for me so didn't add much time onto a brewing process that took 5 minutes or so already.

My last grinder was a commercial grade espresso grinder and I remember having issues producing a good turkish grind with it.  You might try a Baratza grinder but I don't think you can get an adequate turkish grind with a cheap burr grinder and certainly can't get a good powdery grind with any blade grinder.
jakeyz

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:01am

Pfunk Said:

My last grinder was a commercial grade espresso grinder and I remember having issues producing a good turkish grind with it.  You might try a Baratza grinder but I don't think you can get an adequate turkish grind with a cheap burr grinder and certainly can't get a good powdery grind with any blade grinder.

Posted February 1, 2013 link

Not really.. My mother has been using a cheap $20 Hamilton Beach blade grinder for the longest time that grinds to a fine powder. The problem is she has to sit there and hold the button down while she would rather it be automated. She purchased a new Hamilton Beach blade grinder however the grind turned out coarse. The only difference that she sees between the two is that the newer model has blades that sit higher up then the other.

My other family members do use the manual hand mills and they also feel they are always better and that the "working for it" makes it taste better.. I think that the action/friction of the blades can cause some difference in taste possibly but I have never had a problem with her coffee from the machine grinder.

Anyway, I am planning to stop by a specialized coffee store here in the city sometime and talk to them and see what they say. I see they adverise some machines but they are all in the $200-300 range. I will report back.
oktyone

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:34pm

Well.. like i said earlier, you won't find an electrical grinder capable of grinding for real turkish grind for less than 100$.. however for 230$ turkishcoffeeworld sells a specifically calibrated Baratza Virtuoso for turkish coffee.

Mustafa Arat, (turkishcoffeeworld owner) is a pretty nice and helpful guy, i'd contact him first about it.

Turkish Coffee World: Baratza Virtuoso Grinder calibrated for Turkish coffee grind

I seriously doubt you can grind a proper turkish powder grind with a blade grinder, they're incredibly inconsistent.

I was wondering, if your parents are in such a hurry most of the time, have they considered buying commercial pre-ground turkish blends? i'm all for freshness, and i can attest that it does make a huge difference in turkish coffee as with every single brewing method, but to be fair, i've tried commercial turkish coffee pre-ground blends of brands commonly drunk in the middle east (mehmet efendi, najjar, maatouk, etc) and they produce tasty turkish coffee cups, like what you'd get in most middle eastern/balkan households, and if your parents like to sweeten their turkish coffee, the difference between one or the other is even less noticeable.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinder suitable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261953115463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+