Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 86 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:11pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

TK2FAST Said:

... I was trying to share "real life" experience with the Brazen and yes that included using tap water at times. Shame on me for sharing my experience about the Brazen. Obviously I am a minority. Looks like most who purchase this machine are "coffee connoisseurs" and always use filtered water.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Have you tested your water for GH and KH (general hardness and alkalinity)? Both have to be present to form scale. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals combo kit (search on amazon) is inexpensive, accurate, and easy to use. It could also be that there is something in your water that is coming out of suspension when the water is heated (possibly to a higher temperature then in other similar appliances that you have had). it could even be that the mineral content of your water recently changed. I have had that happen and I have my own private well. Regardless as to whether you have experienced this with other similar appliances, without quantifying your water's contents or mineral balance any other comment on causation is moot.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:18pm

TK2FAST Said:

Thanks CraigA for the input.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Anytime.

I felt like one of the few that actually used tap water sometimes.

Yes, especially if no one posts about that, like me (I use tap water exclusively).. {:-/

It is interesting though, that you have had no problems.

Lucky I guess, but when I noticed that not all the showerhead dispersion holes would drain water, I checked the screen with a little LCD light for scale. I found nothing as I had only done a couple of brews by then, but I ran a citric acid solution flush through to see if that had any effect on the dispersion pattern. It seemed to right after that have all the holes flowing, but after now reading Joe Behm's recent explanation on how the channels in the showerhead for each row of holes work., I had an answer.

After I cleaned the machine it still was over 3 minutes to drain the reservoir.  It was not until after turning the machine upside down and using the sink sprayer to clean out the micro screen was I able to get it back down under 3 minutes, so that screen must be catching other particulate matter. My point is the screen is doing it's job but the surface area is small so it clogs quickly, at least in my case.

Yep, I understood your point about the tiny micro screen. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
roastmybeans

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Mocamaster
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 4:15pm

TK2,  sent you an email about a resolution...  let me know what you think so I can share...
 View Profile Link to this post
MonkeyK

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress, Bunn Phase Brew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:37am

Can anyone tell me if the BraZen has the following features:
1) a visual way to tell if there is coffee in the carafe
2) a way to pour a cup of coffee from the carafe while the machine is brewing without making a mess

My wife will not let me buy a machine that doesn't meet these requirements.  We had a Bunn Phase Brew that didn't and after a month it wound up at Goodwill.
roastmybeans

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:45am

MonkeyK Said:

2) a way to pour a cup of coffee from the carafe while the machine is brewing without making a mess

My wife will not let me buy a machine that doesn't meet these requirements.  We had a Bunn Phase Brew that didn't and after a month it wound up at Goodwill.

Posted January 23, 2013 link

1)  no.
2)  It does have a spring loaded shut off to pause when the carafe is removed.  
     The carafe can make a mess if you don't pour/tip it at the right speed/angle.
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:43pm

MonkeyK Said:

Posted January 23, 2013 link

I echo Roastmybeans's answer: 1) no; 2) yes.

A few years ago my dad was shopping for a car, he said he wanted a two-door, and preferred automatics.  I suggested to look at the Mazda3 even though it was not 2-door.  Long story short he bought a Mazda3 stick shift because he really enjoys how it drives and feels.  If a person shops according to a "single issue" or requirement, they risk overlooking the better choice, that is, the choice that they themselves would prefer if they tried it.

With that out of my system...  Requirement 1) would seem to imply a glass carafe.  The Technivorm KB-741 is probably the best machine that fits the requirements, and the only possible drawback is that you have to flip a switch on the cone before removing the carafe during a brew.  The Brazen has a clever no-drip valve that works perfectly and automatically.  At these prices the Bunn / Curtis commercial machines should also be considered, but remember they are always on.
MonkeyK

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress, Bunn Phase Brew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 1:29pm

Thanks for the replies!

Personally, I prefer thermal carafes.  But my wife has a point in wanting to know if she will be able to get a full cup of coffee or needs to make another pot.  We have a teapot that has a window to let you know how full it is.  A solution like that would probably leak heat, but is a decent compromise (for me).

I also agree on not shopping with single issue criteria, but I do need to take my wife's (very strong) preference into account.

Actually, as I think of it, her two requirements are addressing the same issue.  There have been situations where she doesn't realize that she needs to brew another pot and has to leave so she wants the coffee before the brew cycle is complete.  If she could at least Bogart the coffee it might not be so bad.
TK2FAST
TK2FAST
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 2:51pm

FRCN...

Thanks for the reply and yes I have had the water tested a while ago and it is very hard. I was doing descaling on my previous coffee machine about every three months, and that was fine... could have gone a lot longer without any problems too. I was using this previous experience with regards to the Brazen and was stunned that it had to be cleaned at 3 weeks!
This site is pro Brazen and most will not acknowledge the above.
bebopdeluxe

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:07pm

Sorry if this question has been answered (I guess I could go through 88 pages of posts...), but what is the exact technique to keep from making a drippy mess when pouring a cup of coffee?  I mean, I can do it occasionally, but most of the time the pour from the carafe leaks all over the countertop.  

Don't get me wrong - I like the brewer...but something as simple as pouring a cup of coffee should not have to have the steady hand and laser-like focus of a surgeon - should it?

(especially when I am grumpy and sleep-deprived in the morning)

Thanks in advance for the help...
roastmybeans

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:14pm

The only way to pour without making a mess is a steady hand and laser-like focus of a surgeon.
Don't forget to preheat the carafe with hot water or else you will have cold coffee.
showing page 86 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359667778015)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+