Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
help me choose a brewing method for work
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help me choose a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 4:05pm
Subject: help me choose a brewing method for work

I'm trying to decide what brewing method is the best for myself at my office.  I do an 8 cup press pot every morning that I split with my wife and take to work in a tumbler.  I have a Hario Skerton that I can take to work and use.  I'm thinking maybe a Chemex with a Kone but thats kind of pricey.  I thought about a clever or pourover but I prefer  more body (like a French Press or the Chemex w/ Kone).  I thought about a single serve Espro because that has had me interested for a while.  I also need to consider my water.  We have good spring water at work and there is a clover (I think) brand water heater.  My guess is the water comes out at about 175-185 degrees but that isn't really hot enough.  I don't know how happy I will be to have to put my water in the microwave every time so I may want to get an electric kettle (something like the Bonavita Temp controlled goose-neck electric kettle but that puts things a little too pricey for me).  I'd really love to keep initial setup to around $50 +/-$20.  Any thoughts or other choices would be appreciated.  We have "coffee" at work but it is undrinkable (really, not in a snobbish way).
 View Profile Link to this post
Jfromhouston

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 7:44pm
Subject: Re: help me choose a brewing method for work

Skerton - $0
Aeropress - $26
Able disk - $13
Use water from work.

$37 total output on equipment. Scrounge around for a few more bucks and add it to the remaining $13. Buy a bag of coffee and call it done!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 8:23pm

+1 that's exactly what I was thinking

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 8:56pm

RoyceRuiz Said:

I'm trying to decide what brewing method is the best for myself at my office.  I do an 8 cup press pot every morning that I split with my wife and take to work in a tumbler.  I have a Hario Skerton that I can take to work and use.  I'm thinking maybe a Chemex with a Kone but thats kind of pricey.  I thought about a clever or pourover but I prefer  more body (like a French Press or the Chemex w/ Kone).  I thought about a single serve Espro because that has had me interested for a while.  I also need to consider my water.  We have good spring water at work and there is a clover (I think) brand water heater.  My guess is the water comes out at about 175-185 degrees but that isn't really hot enough.  I don't know how happy I will be to have to put my water in the microwave every time so I may want to get an electric kettle (something like the Bonavita Temp controlled goose-neck electric kettle but that puts things a little too pricey for me).  I'd really love to keep initial setup to around $50 +/-$20.  Any thoughts or other choices would be appreciated.  We have "coffee" at work but it is undrinkable (really, not in a snobbish way).

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Use a Clever with a gold filter.  I use that, and the resulting brew is hard to distinquish from a french press.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:51am

Either of the above will work fine with a standard electric kettle as well, as they don't need a fancy pour.  So add $20-30 or so for that.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:18am

I forgot to list the aeropress (also been very interested in getting one).  My concern with that is it may take more time to clean but I guess with the time I save with brewing (I think the brew times are shorter on the aeropress) that would give me the extra time to clean.  

dyqik Said:

Either of the above will work fine with a standard electric kettle as well, as they don't need a fancy pour.  So add $20-30 or so for that.

Posted January 16, 2013 link

I've never used an electric kettle (at home I use a stove top, take it off the heat for about 15-25 seconds and pour and it gets my temp around 200 degrees.  Will an electric kettle just boil; the water or is it below boiling?  Maybe if I just bring a thermometer, unplug and time how long it will take to get down to proper brewing temp that would work.  

Jfromhouston Said:

Skerton - $0
Aeropress - $26
Able disk - $13
Use water from work.

$37 total output on equipment. Scrounge around for a few more bucks and add it to the remaining $13. Buy a bag of coffee and call it done!

Posted January 15, 2013 link

I don't know much about the aeropress, can it brew at a lower temp than typical brewing devices?  If so, what is the minimum temperature?  I will check the temp of our hot water to see what it is for sure.
Jfromhouston

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:27pm

RoyceRuiz Said:

I don't know much about the aeropress, can it brew at a lower temp than typical brewing devices?  If so, what is the minimum temperature?  I will check the temp of our hot water to see what it is for sure.

Definitely! The manufacturer actually recommends 175 water. Their are a TON of different methods with a ton of different brew temps for the aeropress out there. If you have 175 available, I'd work with that to eliminate the kettle factor at work.

Cleanup is super easy for the product. Take off the cap, pop out the puck (dont forget your disk) and rinse it off. Done.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 6:37am

Have you considered a Bodum Travel Press?
Bodum Travel Press
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:43am

RoyceRuiz Said:

I've never used an electric kettle (at home I use a stove top, take it off the heat for about 15-25 seconds and pour and it gets my temp around 200 degrees.  Will an electric kettle just boil; the water or is it below boiling?  Maybe if I just bring a thermometer, unplug and time how long it will take to get down to proper brewing temp that would work.  

An electric kettle will bring water to a rolling boil, then shut off.  Usually 30s of swirling the water around inside is enough to bring the water down to brewing temperature for Aeropress (for brewing at 200F) or CCD as there's a lot of coffee grounds and brewer material to bring up to temperature for not so much water.  Similarly, the glass and metal in a FP take a bit of heat out of the water, so even though you are using more water there, the steep temperature is similar.

The Aeropress comes with instructions that use cooler water (170-180F), a very high ratio of coffee to water and short steep time to brew - this gives a tasty smooth coffee, but isn't the most efficient or necessarily the best at bringing out origin flavors.  I use it at a higher temperature and lower ratio, with a longer steep using the inverted method, so it's closer to a small FP in character, but you have the option to work with lower temps, and that might be the way to get going initially.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 5:15pm

I use an aeropress at work and it is extremely easy. I set the water in a cheap Aroma 1.5L kettle to boil and brew the regular way. I have a small $10 scale that I use. Any hand grinder works fine for aeropress.

I wet my filter and grind my coffee while the water is boiling. Once it has boiled, I do as follows.

1. Pour 275ml of 195-200*F water onto coffee. Stir for 3 seconds.
  2. Seal chamber with plunger and wait until 1:20.
  3. Remove plunger, stir, and begin plunging at 1:30.
  4. Aim to finish plunging at 2:00.

Stir the finished cup, pop the grounds puck into the garbage, and give the aeropress a rinse. I find that rinsing in hot water and using a paper towel or two to wipe it down does the trick. Every week I will do a more formal cleaning, but I never get any off-flavors from oils. A Disk filter will suit your needs if that is the type of coffee you enjoy. I personally love the ease of paper in the office and use the Disks here and there. The S-filter goes everywhere with me when I travel.

All in all, it takes 10min to make a cup of coffee using the Aeropress in my office. I only boil about 15oz of water, so it goes fast.

Either way, it's affordable, easy, and the coffee tastes great. I've tried other methods (clever, pour over) and this is by far the easiest!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help me choose a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363372087479)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+