Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Press pot - Frieling vs Espro
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Press pot -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Jfromhouston

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Press pot - Frieling vs Espro

I'm looking for a new press pot and have it narrowed down to the Frieling or the Espro. Has anyone owned/used both of these pots that can chime in on which they preferred?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Press pot - Frieling vs Espro

(I haven't used the Frieling, but I believe that it's just a really pretty and more thermally stable french press (i.e., functions just the same as your standard Bodum).  The Espro press, on the other hand, has an advanced filter system that practically eliminates fines in the cup, while still allowing oils through.  I've used Bodum fp for many, many years and bought an Espro about a months and a half ago.  It is fantastic, and far, far superior to the Bodum filter system.  I recommend reading the review Randy Glass (frcn) did on the Espro on his website, www.espressomyespresso.com  Now, if you prefer the Frieling anyways, there's a screen mod for Bodums you can purchase from sweetmaria's that seals around the filter better than stock (Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com))...just make sure it'll fit the Frieling before you "pull the trigger".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 7:19pm

The Frieling looks like a very nice presspot with a stainless insulated vessel. The working parts (mainly the screen) appear to be like most all other press pots (Bodum et.al.). The Espro is another animal completely. SCG states that the  Frieling keeps coffee Hot for a long time, but with the single screen the coffee is still brewing- that is, the grounds are not effectively separated from the liquid. The Espro's proprietary filter system also eliminates the sludge common to the "old style" press pot. As emradguy was so kind to mention, read my review of the Espro. Nothing like it, and it shows in the cup, and that is all that really matters.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 7:30pm

Randy, I bought my single serve Espro for my office because of your review and was so happy with it, I bought a large one for my Mom for her B-Day!

Jfromhouston

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:13pm

Thanks for the replies. Ive got both being delivered this week. Chances are i will stick with the espro as advised. Everything I have found on them has been positive. Sounds like I can't loose going that direction.

Emradguy - I see you're in Houston as well. Buying beans from anyone local?

Frcn - great site! You just sold me on an aeropress too.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:02pm

Occasionally buy greenway beans, but only in a pinch. I just find it easier to order online.

Jfromhouston

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 2:57pm

I've had cups out of both now. Here's my take:

Functionally there is no question that the Espro serves a cleaner cup. Both are equally as delicious in that press pot way but the espro has far less sediment in the cup. You still probably wont want that last sip out of either cup but the espro isn't sludgy at the bottom, just loose fines.

Both are solid sturdy looking pieces of equipment. If I had to take a guess at which would fail first it would be the Espro due to it's use of plastic in the plunger. There are two baskets that attach to each other with a plastic snap like fitting that with time could wear down to the point of no longer grabbing each other. The plunger rod is attached to the baskets via stainless screw fitting so it's not going anywhere. The Frieling plunger assembly is all metal like the Bodum presses so you could reasonably expect years of service out of it without a worry. Both are equally as obnoxious to clean but that's the price you pay for such good coffee.

Aesthetically, and I know this is personal preference but...that Frieling is a beautiful piece of industrial design. The Espro is really pretty as well but if I were buying on looks alone it would be the Frieling.

If you're looking for a high end press pot you really can't go wrong with either. In the end I choose the Espro. There is just such minimal amounts of sediment compared to the Frieling that it was worth it's minor shortcomings for the better cup.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 3:27pm

thanks for that quick review!

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Press pot -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251543998718)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+