Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best coffee method ever
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 10:49am
Subject: Best coffee method ever

Ok guys and girls. I have perfected it. I have tried them all--CCD, French press, Hario porcelain funnel and Chemex. I have finally gotten to Nirvana. It surpasses all the above methods. It is simply an appropriately measured Americano. But the key to this is proper ratio measurements of moka to water. The absolute key is 1:2 ratio of moka to hot water(ie.: 4oz. moka:8oz hot water). Simple. This method also uses less coffee grounds than most other methods. Try it. You can get a consistently good cup no matter the size of moka pot used. So whether you want a mug or a small cup the quality is the same. I recommend using either a scale or volume measures. The perfect cup awaits and the cost is much less. If I was to do it all over again I would buy only two moka pots of different sizes and call it a day.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 1:39pm
Subject: Re: Best coffee method ever

frankthecrank Said:

Ok guys and girls. I have perfected it. I have tried them all--CCD, French press, Hario porcelain funnel and Chemex. I have finally gotten to Nirvana. It surpasses all the above methods. It is simply an appropriately measured Americano. But the key to this is proper ratio measurements of moka to water. The absolute key is 1:2 ratio of moka to hot water(ie.: 4oz. moka:8oz hot water). Simple. This method also uses less coffee grounds than most other methods. Try it. You can get a consistently good cup no matter the size of moka pot used. So whether you want a mug or a small cup the quality is the same. I recommend using either a scale or volume measures. The perfect cup awaits and the cost is much less. If I was to do it all over again I would buy only two moka pots of different sizes and call it a day.

Posted January 7, 2013 link

4 oz. Moka pot extraction to 8 oz. water as compared to 4 0z. espresso to 8 oz. water?  Have you done that comparison?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 1:39pm

Nearly all my "brewed" coffee is Amerciano. If I want to go through the trouble, I prefer vacpot to all other non espresso methods.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frankthecrank

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 1:56pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

4 oz. Moka pot extraction to 8 oz. water as compared to 4 0z. espresso to 8 oz. water?  Have you done that comparison?

Len

Hi Len, I have not tried espresso in that manner because I sold my Gaggia Classic last year. If you have done it how is it? I think the point that I was making in addition to the fact that you can get a perfect brew with a moka pot is that it would have saved me a lot of money to have simply bought the moka pots and gone no further to obtain the perfect cup. It would not have been as fun though! I enjoyed each method, it's just that the moka/americano is so easy and reproducible in that ratio.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:23am

My feeling is that an Americano is a different beverage than brewed coffee.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:42am

I have to agree that filter coffee and an Americano are two different beasts, and Marco Beverage Systems makes a convincing argument:  Marco Beverage Systems Limited Education

There are very few coffees that I like prepared as an Americano, or as a long black with the shot pulled over the water to preserve the crema, but my Wife seems to prefer the Americano to brewed coffee, probably because it is lighter so if I'm pulling myself an espresso I'll pull her a shot over water rather than separately brew coffee for her in the evening.

I'd have a hard time choosing the best coffee method ever.  I like to use a lot of different methods depending on the requirements and my mood.  I'll brew a pot in the BraZen in the morning since I've got four coffee drinkers that need to hit the road and get out the door, I like the Kalita Wave for 1 - 3 cups and the CCD for two cups and the vac pot for nice coffees on the weekend.  I have to say that of all the brew methods I play with (and I have left more out than I mentioned already) I brew the least in moka pots, cezves/ibriks, and percolators.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:14am

I agree, when anyone says they have found the ultimate brewing method,I start to laugh.Oh really! But I do admire that kind of gumption and faith.
Notre Dame had that too before they played Bama.

yakster Said:

I have to agree that filter coffee and an Americano are two different beasts, and Marco Beverage Systems makes a convincing argument:  Marco Beverage Systems Limited Education

There are very few coffees that I like prepared as an Americano, or as a long black with the shot pulled over the water to preserve the crema, but my Wife seems to prefer the Americano to brewed coffee, probably because it is lighter so if I'm pulling myself an espresso I'll pull her a shot over water rather than separately brew coffee for her in the evening.

I'd have a hard time choosing the best coffee method ever.  I like to use a lot of different methods depending on the requirements and my mood.  I'll brew a pot in the BraZen in the morning since I've got four coffee drinkers that need to hit the road and get out the door, I like the Kalita Wave for 1 - 3 cups and the CCD for two cups and the vac pot for nice coffees on the weekend.  I have to say that of all the brew methods I play with (and I have left more out than I mentioned already) I brew the least in moka pots, cezves/ibriks, and percolators.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:21pm

frankthecrank Said:

Hi Len, I have not tried espresso in that manner because I sold my Gaggia Classic last year. If you have done it how is it? I think the point that I was making in addition to the fact that you can get a perfect brew with a moka pot is that it would have saved me a lot of money to have simply bought the moka pots and gone no further to obtain the perfect cup. It would not have been as fun though! I enjoyed each method, it's just that the moka/americano is so easy and reproducible in that ratio.

Hello Frank.  I ask because the definition of americano is espresso mixed with hot water.  I do not recall the exact portions of each.  I believe it was 2 shots of espresso + 6 oz. water.  I have had it before and enjoy it.  I have a brikka, I may give your method a whirl tonight.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 7:05pm

yakster Said:

There are very few coffees that I like prepared as an Americano, or as a long black

I have very similar "brew patterns/preferences" as Chris. When all the parameters are nailed, and the coffee beans are excellent, the vac is supreme. Can be utterly obscene.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Hello Frank.  I ask because the definition of americano is espresso mixed with hot water.  I do not recall the exact portions of each.  I believe it was 2 shots of espresso + 6 oz. water.  I have had it before and enjoy it.  I have a brikka, I may give your method a whirl tonight.

Len

I've had some really good cups this way with a moka. Sort of a faux Americano. I rarely use my moka, but I found that some of the best cups I could brew with a DP Ethiopia last year was a diluted moka brew. Hard to explain the distinction in that cup vs. other methods. It has a very "bare," "exposed" profile. Seemed like it really thrusts forward certain flavor characteristics. Struts a portion of its spectrum. Not "round," but delightful. Clean, but rich. Heavy on the mid and high notes, while lacking the bottom. I suspect that Frank likes a clean, yet flavorful cup, and punchy in a snappy way. Clean and quick finish. Just my guess based on the profile a diluted moka makes.

www.lampmode.com
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 2:28am

sweaner Said:

My feeling is that an Americano is a different beverage than brewed coffee.

To my mind it's an espresso beverage first and foremost. Irrespective of the ratio of hot water to espresso, it always tastes like an "Americano". A great syphon, a well prepared cloth pour over or a Fresh Fetco of the same coffee may highlight different traits in a coffee but still be true to the coffee. With an Americano this may be true to an extent but above all, for me, an Americano has a flavour/body somewhat different to all other methods.

I might not always be able to tell the difference between a good syphon and a good pour over of a particular coffee (assuming the same filter material is used in each) but I would bet I could tell the Americano every time.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422356128693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+