Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which Bunn?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which Bunn?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DreadManWalkin
DreadManWalkin
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Which Bunn?

Tested my brew temp today at 190 deg while flushing the beans. Am I where I need to be? or go hotter? Thx, Matt
 View Profile Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 9:49am

DreadManWalkin Said:

Royce,    

It usually takes about 4 minutes for a batch to brew, regular 12 cup pot about 60 ounces. I usually use 5 scoops of beans, which works out to 1.5 ounces(43g), that I grind on my Mr Coffee grinder model IDS77. I have been grinding it on Medium grind for 12 cup up until today when i tried the fine grind setting as a test. Today's coffee had more flavor but something is still not there. Doing the math, I come up w 5.73 grams per 8 ounce cup, which is what I used on my Mr Coffee JWX27KV on the strong setting for the same volume. It took my old coffee maker 20 minutes to finish, which includes heating that water. I never really thought to time that unit once I could hear the water start flushing. I haven't tested  my Bunn maker to see what the actual temperature of the water coming out is. Then again, I really don't know what the best temp should be, my cup of coffee is hot but could probably be hotter as far as drinking purposes. I figure that will be my next test, brew temperature.  Am I just missing flavor from the oils? I ponder....... Matt

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Temp (before water hits the coffee should be about 92 to 97C, or about 192F to 204F.  Coffee to water should be about 14 grams per 8 oz cup (this is probably your biggest obstacle to getting the result you want).  Brew time should be about 3-4 minutes (any more than 4 minutes tends to over extract the coffee and get bitter, "strong coffee" doesn't need to be bitter).  Two things you may not want to hear. 1) your coffee crusher is not good for coffee (better to use it for spices).  You really need a true burr grinder.  Cheapest electric choice is a Baratza Encore (about $120 refurbished from Baratza).  If that is too expensive you can get a Hario Skerton hand grinder for about $35 (but this requires a little elbow grease).  2) The coffee beans you buy need to be roasted no more than 2 weeks before you use them.  This rules out supermarket coffee (even whole foods type stores).  What coffee (brand and roast) are you currently buying?  Where do you buy it? how much do you buy at a time? How do you store it?
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:53am

Coffee being fresh roasted doesn't entirely rule out all Wholefoods type stores - my local Wholefoods roasts in store, and at least half of the coffee in the bins is roasted that day.  But I don't particularly like the coffees they do roast - tends towards darker roasts and darker blends, and I think the roaster is of the preprogrammed type, so the staff don't have a lot of training in roasting.  They also have a number of bagged coffees from localish roasters (e.g. George Howell) that are sometimes within a couple of weeks post roast, although they seem to keep them on the shelves for about 3 months.
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:59am

dyqik Said:

Coffee being fresh roasted doesn't entirely rule out all Wholefoods type stores - my local Wholefoods roasts in store, and at least half of the coffee in the bins is roasted that day.  But I don't particularly like the coffees they do roast - tends towards darker roasts and darker blends, and I think the roaster is of the preprogrammed type, so the staff don't have a lot of training in roasting.  They also have a number of bagged coffees from localish roasters (e.g. George Howell) that are sometimes within a couple of weeks post roast, although they seem to keep them on the shelves for about 3 months.

Posted January 23, 2013 link

While this is true, buying at whole foods seems to be out of his price range and choosing the right coffee at whole foods requires acquired discernment (something that Matt might not be ready for).  Also, since whole foods varies from store to store it is very hard to make a recommendation.  Thanks for the clarification.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which Bunn?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242436885834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+