Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
First brew with the Brazen (Ethiopian Yrgacheffe) - Questions
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > First brew with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TheEther

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:32am
Subject: First brew with the Brazen (Ethiopian Yrgacheffe) - Questions

I'm a total Coffee Noob just so you know.  I bought a Brazen seeking to have a machine that can brew a great cup of coffee for when I (or my guests) want a great cup.  The Brazen seems to be an incredibly well-built machine.

I whipped out the Brazen, set my elevation to 1000ft, set the pre-soak time to 45 seconds, brew temp to 204 and calibrated it.  After running 2 8 cup dry runs through it, I filled it to the 6 cup fill line and readied it for the Yrga.  The bag of pre-roasted pre-ground Ethiopian Yrga (from Willoughbys) said it was roasted on Dec 26th and recommended 2 Tablespoons per 6 oz.   - as a side note a bag of my wifes decaf (we had in the house) recommended 1 tbls per 6oz so I was a bit confused on the 2 tbls per 6oz recco on the Yrga. - 8 Tablespoons later (6 cups brew) using a coffee filter (not the gold filter) I kicked off the Brazen on auto and letter-rip.

I must say the coffee wasn't acidic like i've come to expect, every single thing I put through my Black and Decker POS machine (one of my goals met).  I guess I'm not sure what to expect because I dont know coffee very well.  What should the Brazen be set up for this type of coffee?  The Yrga seemed to taste a little burnt with a dry finish but it was something I could drink black.  My wife (who should be taken with a grain of salt in the matter) said she wasn't impressed.  Immediate husband eye-rolling.

Again my questions are more one of how the Brazen should be configured for this coffee. Was 2 tbls per 6oz too much, my heat too high, my presoak too long or not long enough or maybe it's just my expectations of not knowing what to expect.  I definitely don't really know what MY particular flavor profile of choice is yet.. and boy that's going to be a journey.

I also bought an unroasted coffee Sampler which included:
Peru Fair Trade Organic
Costa Rica SHB - La Pastora Tarrazu
Bolivia Fair Trade Organic
Burundi Bourbon
Columbia Supremo
Brazil Natural Red Catuai Faz Almeida
Ethiopia Yrgacheffe
Guatemala SHB

I dont have a roaster but thought I could attempt the heat gun or stove method or heck I could build a cage and roast them over my big green egg (thought that might be some old school fun).  I've been watching a ton of youtube videos on identifying the level of roast, I'm pretty handy so I don't think I'd have too much trouble.  I thought I'd practice with the ground Yrga though until I had a better understanding of the machine.  Again, a journey.  ;)

Thanks for your help!

Bryan
 View Profile Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:48am
Subject: Re: First brew with the Brazen (Ethiopian Yrgacheffe) - Questions

I'm using some Willoughbys Yrga right now in my Brazen, and the results are definitely not burnt tasting.  You'll have to find the ideal grind setting, temp and coffee/water ratio for your taste, but the Brazen is very capable of excellent results.  I use a finer grind than most people suggest, and am brewing that Yrga at 201 or 202.  This morning's brew was rich, delicious, and zero burnt flavors.  Keep adjusting, and don't give up.  It's worth it.
TheEther

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:50am

Thanks for the reply, How long are you presoaking?
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:43am

I'm using 45 sec.

Here's my current recipe:

Rocky grinder: 7 above zero (quite fine)
45 sec pre-soak
800 ml water
36.5g coffee
Melitta white paper

I've tried 201, which I like with other beans, but 202 gives me a bit more complexity with this bean.  Haven't tried higher temps with it yet.  That 204 could be part of your issue.  I did some pots at 204 early on but liked 203 and below much better.  But again, taste and beans vary, so adjust to suit, which is exactly why we have a Brazen.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > First brew with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203445911407)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+