Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brazen and Rocky Grind
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brazen and Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lazzman
Lazzman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Stove Top
Grinder: Rancilio- Rocky Doserless
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Brazen and Rocky Grind

I recently purchased my Brazen and am still trying to get it dialed in without huge success.

I have currently tried brewing at 204 degrees and 201 degrees and uped the amount of coffee I am using but am still not getting a nice explosion of flavor in my mouth. The coffee flavor still seems to be a bit muted??

I have been using may Rocky doserless on a grind of 37, with 7 day old Columbian beans, brewing at 204, with a 1:30 rest time.  I am using 6.5gr of coffee per 5oz cup.

I typically brew 4 cups per cycle and use the manual release.  When my wife is home I will brew 6 cups and let the auto take over.

Any one have any suggestions on what grind to use on the rocky?  I was using a #35 on my Technivorm with the Conical filter and have read that a flat bottom filter like in the Brazen require a finer grind.

Have done extensive research but cannot locate anything on this topic on the board.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated...
 View Profile Link to this post
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:36am
Subject: Re: Brazen and Rocky Grind

I have a Brazen and a Rocky.

I use a much finer grind and a lower coffee/water ratio than the written suggestions or than most posters I've read.  So, take my suggestion just as what works for me, and the particular taste I prefer.

Right now I'm using 800ml with 34 to 34.5g, at 201 or 202, 45 sec pre-soak, and a grind setting of 7 or 8 above the zero point on my Rocky.  I'm also using Melitta white filters.  

I realize that's at or very close to an espresso grind.  And I'm aware of the advice that lowering the coffee amount and using a finer grind can yield over extraction.  But I prefer the denser mouth feel and deep flavor I get with this setup, and I don't get any off flavors.  The flavor profile also changes noticeably with each degree of water temp adjustment, or by varying the coffee amount by a gram.  So tweaking the taste from there to more rich or a lighter fruit taste is easy as well.

When I first got the Brazen I tried numerous brews using a grind setting in the 20's, but couldn't find a setup I liked.  Often I'd get the bad combination of thin, almost watery density, but strong or bitter flavors.  Eventually I moved the grind down to where I liked it on other brewers and found the deeper, smooth richness I prefer.

Of course, personal taste, particular beans and roast are variables.  Also, I've never tried the smaller amount of water you are using and the manual release method.  So factor that into the mix.

Based on what I'm getting from it now, my one suggestion is don't give up on the machine.  It's capable of some great results when you get it dialed in.  And I'm interested in your results.
MJW

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 2:31pm

DJ is putting you on the right track.  I don't have a Rocky but I'm using a medium grind with success, using the same Melitta paper filters.  20:1 water to coffee.  West Java coffee beans.

Anecdotally I've found 6 cup brews to taste better than 4 cup, but I only use the automatic pulse program.

I would recommend trying paper filters if you're not already doing that.
Lazzman
Lazzman

Espresso: Stove Top
Grinder: Rancilio- Rocky Doserless
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:40am

Thanks for the help.

Im on it this morning and will see what happens going with this great advice.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brazen and Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234450101852)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+