Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 24 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 8:33pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

AmandafromBUNN Said:

Yes, the check valves are different.  redkiosk is correct that the one with the red/ orange o-ring goes on the left side.  I'd suggest waiting on replacing until we can get you the correct valve.

Posted March 17, 2013 link

Thanks, Amanda! Now that's some good (and preemptive) customer service. ;) Email sent.
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:39am

Who wants to discuss the benefits of running a water-only brew cycle to pre-warm the brew chamber? Well, I kinda' do. :-) When I first received my Trifecta MB last May, I religiously did water-only pre-warm cycles before the first actual brew with coffee grounds. With succeeding brews (second cup, etc.) in any brew session, I would always rinse out the brew chamber with hot tap water (135F) before brewing the next cup. After a few months, I lost that religion, got impatient, somewhat complacent, and didn't do the pre-warm cycles again until a few weeks ago. The colder weather and the fact that my Trifecta sits right next to the kitchen window got me thinking about this again. I decided to do a few temperature and taste tests to see if it was worth the trouble. My normal brew is 12 oz. water, 25.7 g coffee, C/:45 settings, so for the pre-warm, I left the settings the same, but didn't add any coffee grounds. The water enters the brew chamber at 200F. A Bunn engineer confirmed this temperature and also that the air entering the brew chamber for both turbulence and press-out is NOT heated on either the MB or the commercial version. Interestingly enough, he also mentioned that there was a plug-in port on the control board where he could adjust the water temperature to something besides 200F with a computer. Hmmmm! I used a Thermapen thermometer to measure the temperature of the coffee just as it was being pressed out. This measurement was made at the black plastic diverter, right under the brew chamber shelf. The highest temperatures were right as the press-out started and decreased as more air entered the brew chamber during the press-out phase. Obvious factors that would lower the brewing temperature within the brew chamber are the coffee grounds, temperature of the brew chamber and unheated air entering the brew chamber for varying turbulence cycles (number, time and force) and press-out. The following are the highest reading that I measured while using my normal brew specs. (12 oz. water, 25.7 g coffee, C/:45 settings):

Brewing with a room-temperature (70F) brew chamber: 182F - 183F

Brewing after a water-only, pre-warm cycle: 189F -190F

If there was this difference in the press-out temperatures, then that difference should also be reflected in the actual brewing temperature within the brew chamber, correct? I definitely noticed a difference in taste (for the better), as did another Trifecta owner I discussed this with (DanH). My feeling is that when running an initial water-only cycle to pre-warm the brew chamber, the resulting brewing temperature will be more in line with what is considered optimal for brewing coffee. YMMV depending on your taste, coffee brewed, etc. etc. I thought that this was quite interesting and started always doing the pre-warm cycles again. Has anyone else noticed this difference in taste? Just wondering. Comments?

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:51am

I run a water-only brew cycle first when it is cold out, but since I live in Texas we are currently seeing temps up to the 80s daily.  When you combine that along with me usually being impatient I don't usually run a water-only brew cycle.  Of course I'm not taking temps once I brew but the coffee is still plenty hot that I still let it rest before drinking.  And with 2 toddlers and a baby in the house a lot of times I don't get to enjoy my coffee right away, or get interrupted while drinking, so a lot of times it goes cold - which I don't mind.  Therefore the extra time and effort of pre-warming would have been wasted for me.  But maybe I'll try it again just to do something different.
DanH

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:52am

redkiosk Said:

Has anyone else noticed this difference in taste?

Posted March 20, 2013 link

As Jim noted, I definitely have noticed an improvement with a pre-warmed environment, so much so that pre-warming as described by Jim has become my standard process.  I wish it weren't so!

I wonder, Jim, if you have tried a scaled-down version of pre-warming where you only preheat the mug with hot tap water.  I haven't yet, but it would sure make life easier if it worked.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:22pm

DanH Said:

I wonder, Jim, if you have tried a scaled-down version of pre-warming where you only preheat the mug with hot tap water.  I haven't yet, but it would sure make life easier if it worked.

Posted March 20, 2013 link

I think that the improved taste difference comes from the higher brewing temperature. Actually, the water from my pre-warm cycle goes directly into the first cup to pre-warm it, since after brewing that one, it has to sit on the counter and wait as I brew the second cup. Sometimes I pour that heated pre-warm water from the first cup into the second cup, to pre-heat that as the first cup is being brewed. I just need to remember to empty the pre-heated water out of the first cup before the coffee cycle gets pressed out. What a mess when you forget! :-)

Take care!

Jim

barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 8:44pm

Jim,

Thanks again for taking the trouble to measure the temps.  There are so many good reasons to run an extra cycle before brewing:

If you measured the temp at the end of the brew time, you should find that the difference is even greater, owing to the heating of the brew chamber.

It's fairly well established that higher temps will dissolve the grounds quicker and produce more flavor under favorable conditions.  That means that you can go with a slightly coarser grind than if the temp was lower.

I don't use soap when I wash my brew chambers.  I just use hot water under fairly good pressure and wipe with a paper towel.  I also give the underside of the brew chamber a blast to clear out the valve on that side.  Having said that, I like the idea that a prewarm cycle also gives the brew chamber an extra hot rinse just before I use it.

And yup, for those of us who like half n half in their coffee, preheating the cup is a must.

My $.02

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 3:53am

Another thing that I just thought about that might affect the taste is the water. That which is sitting in the tank overnight, has been constantly heated over time and then another quick reheat to bring it up to 200F when you engage the flap again. I usually leave my side reservoir empty and then fill it with fresh filtered water for the first actual "brew". The water that has been sitting in the tank ends up being used only for the pre-heat.

roach56

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:17am

Don't own a Trifecta yet but following with interest. Preheat makes since as I always preheat my PF before pulling a shot.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 1:36pm

I think this is a fairly new video for the Trifecta MB. Looks like it was created for the company responsible for the Trifecta MB's design. My apologies if it has been posted before. Take care!

Jim

http://vimeo.com/61281284

AmandafromBUNN
AmandafromBUNN
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: I've tried a few :)
Drip: trifecta MB, My Cafe MCU
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 1:45pm

As with all brewers, temperature loss occurs on the journey to the cup, carafe or pitcher.  Preheating the system and your vessel is a great idea to minimize this temperature loss.  Plus with trifecta you'll get the added benefit of a water only brew to flush out the check valves.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 24 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313476085663)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+