Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Impulse buy
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Impulse buy  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 2:08pm
Subject: Re: Crap - couldn't avoid impulse buy!

IMAWriter Said:

I LOVED my 124 rag top. I drove it 5-6 times from Dallas to Las Vegas and back.
It belied it's "F-I-A-T...Fix It Again Tony" image. At least for me.

The moka pot, on the other hand?
Why, when an AeroPress does it so much better?

Posted July 2, 2012 link

I don't know if the Aeropress can make a Cuban coffee the way a Moka Pot can? Or just that nice thickness a Moka can. Something about a Moka used with Cafe Bustelo or Pilon is incredible, growing up in South FL and especially the Miami area, Cuban coffee is soooo good and packs a wallop.
 View Profile Link to this post
mannyr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 7:10am

I love my moka pot. Ever since I picked one up a few month ago, it sees constant duty mostly because I drink Americanos and it excels in that vein. All my other stuff (french press, gaggia) has been gathering dust while I work my way through my new obsession.
mhborstad

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 7:35am

A 9-cup moka might be too big for a nuanced "technical" approach. If you want control, flexibility and repeatable results while brewing reasonable amounts of coffee you might like a 2 (or 4) cup Bialetti Brikka. Whether or not the "crema" makes a difference is a bit moot - the tophat also controls pressure and temperature.

Since the pot always does the same thing at the same time, you can vary water volume, grind etc to control extraction a lot more easily. Take the pot off the heat as soon as brewing starts and with everything right the flow cuts before you start drawing burnt/bitter/overextracted coffee.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 7:19pm
Subject: ...

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 7:22pm

VKirby

Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 7:03am

Netphilosopher Said:

I get the gist of how it works, I've made a couple 19% and 20% extractions, I've had them clarified and yes, they're pretty good - but I've got a backlog of other things I need to work on and just don't feel I need add "mastering a moka pot" to my "to do" list... LOL

Posted July 1, 2012 link

Gets pretty good results right out of the gate, acknowledges there is a learning curve/understands these good results will only improve, AND even got a great deal on it...

How can he return?  HOW CAN HE RETURN?!
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 10:52am

mannyr Said:

I love my moka pot. Ever since I picked one up a few month ago, it sees constant duty mostly because I drink Americanos and it excels in that vein. All my other stuff (french press, gaggia) has been gathering dust while I work my way through my new obsession.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

Wow! You have my same experience. I just sold my Gaggia classic because I have gotten so good with my Bialetti moka pot that I felt bad seeing it sit there collecting dust. I use only a Chemex pour over and my multiple moka pots. I love the Americanos and Cubans I can get with it. I also agree with the writer that commented that a nine cup moka might not be the best to start out with. I would recommend mastering the 3 cup first. Do it over and over until you get the flow to just spill out of the spout. It is heavenly. It is also a very forgiving method of brewing that can make a great cup out of even 10 day old beans----- or even ground from a can!! I gotta admit I like Cafe Bustelo when I cant get fresh beans.
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:35am

I'm seriously considering using my 6-cup moka pot for camping (to replace the Rapid Brew percolator). Either one takes about as much effort to clean in the field, plus it looks cooler. And I found one in Goodwill the other day...but when I tore it down, it looked like someone had been brewing with battery acid. Yuk!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 7:47pm

Netphilosopher: small_x_dark.gif
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 7:05am
Subject: Re: Crap - couldn't avoid impulse buy! (AGAIN!)

It is a fairly simple device so I would expect it to operate just like the "real" one. I have a knockoff I bought at Pier one imports, when I was on vacation in Seattle in the early '70s when I was still a young pup, it still works though I have not used it for many, many years.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Impulse buy  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322057008743)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+