Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need feedback on best budget setup
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need feedback on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 9:50am
Subject: Re: Need feedback on best budget setup

I looked closer at the pictures - I an not sure since the photo is a little blurry but there might be a crack on the right front corner when facing the image with the drawer removed. I would ask about that or for a better photo of that area before committing to this one. If it is a small chip that is hidden by the drawer it might be an easy repair with some glue.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
jason32835

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 9:52am

Thanks guys.. I am going to learn all I can about vintage grinders. I wonder if I could find one in thrift store. I doubt I'll have the patients, but I may give it a try.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 9:57am

Here is another one (even cheaper) with an open hopper. Photos look good too:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

For half the price of the Skerton too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
perryw

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:52am

jason32835 Said:

Do you notice any difference between the CCD and Press? I'm using the Melitta pour over right now and I'm not thrilled with the results. I am getting a paper taste from the brown filters and my coffee is pretty bitter. However, I'm also switching to black coffee and that has made it pretty hard to tell what is what! I have a Areopress under the tree, hard not to open it early. ;P

I also have a blade grinder at the moment, and I've been playing around with different grinds to see if that helps, it hasn't.

I'm also using World Market beans that have a July '13 experation date, but what does that even mean? If they are "good" for a year then they are already 5 months old.

I watched about 25 youtube videos last night trying to figure out just how much work goes into that Skerton. Some people make it look very hard and some make it look easy. Practice I'm guessing.

So much to learn, so little money to learn with! ;)

Posted December 7, 2012 link

I've tried Dunkin Donuts brand, Meijer (regional super store ala Wal Mart) brand, Seattle's Best brand, Counter Culture coffee that was a couple weeks old, and Counter Culture coffee that was a couple days old (must have caught the healthy grocery when they restocked).  The fresh Counter Culture coffee definitely taste the best!

I can taste a difference between the press and the CCD.  I don't know that I prefer one over the other necessarily, but the CCD sure is easier to clean up.

To add another twist, the Baratza website has a refurbished section.  I've read somewhere that the Encore sometimes shows up for $89; they update the selection on Thursdays.  I may wait until I can get that rather than trying to figure out hand grinding.  I don't know that I would have the patience for that at oh dark thirty.
jason32835

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:41pm

perryw Said:

I've tried Dunkin Donuts brand, Meijer (regional super store ala Wal Mart) brand, Seattle's Best brand, Counter Culture coffee that was a couple weeks old, and Counter Culture coffee that was a couple days old (must have caught the healthy grocery when they restocked).  The fresh Counter Culture coffee definitely taste the best!

I can taste a difference between the press and the CCD.  I don't know that I prefer one over the other necessarily, but the CCD sure is easier to clean up.

To add another twist, the Baratza website has a refurbished section.  I've read somewhere that the Encore sometimes shows up for $89; they update the selection on Thursdays.  I may wait until I can get that rather than trying to figure out hand grinding.  I don't know that I would have the patience for that at oh dark thirty.

$89 for a refurb is starting to get into my price bracket. However, I think I am OK with the grinding part, I enjoy the process of making coffee as much as drinking it. I also like to collect things, so I may have to start a grinder collection ;)

Be sure to report back here if/when you get a new grinder and let me know how it improved things.
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 7:41pm

EricBNC Said:

Here is another one (even cheaper) with an open hopper. Photos look good too:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

For half the price of the Skerton too.

As I am my handle this is an interesting option!  My only concern is that I'm sure I'd end up getting one with bad burrs or some other issue that would make it a wasted $20.

I was debating getting a Skerton and the PFP mod that OE sells, but looking at their video I realized I probably don't have the skill or patience to try to get it properly aligned.

I wonder if anyone has a clear favorite between the Kyocera CM-45 and the Porlex for coarser (Press) grinds?

**** Edited to add ****

Looks like the Porlex (and likely the Kyocera as it seems very similar in function/construction) is not a good choice for coarse.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need feedback on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272354841232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+