Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Nestle Nesspresso
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Nestle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 9:58am
Subject: Nestle Nesspresso

Hey,

Has anyone here tried that Nestle Nesspresso Machine that has been endorsed by George Clooney?

I have to admit, 16 flavors sounds enticing, but it sounds like those artificial candy type things that come in all sorts of flavors, and in the end it's going to overpower the taste of the coffee...

Anyone have any insight into this?

I was thinking of picking one up as a Christmas gift to myself... Or maybe someone else ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:13am
Subject: Re: Nestle Nesspresso

Is Google down or something? ;)

If there's a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table near you, I'd recommend going there to try a few shots.
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:38am

jbviau Said:

Is Google down or something? ;)

If there's a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table near you, I'd recommend going there to try a few shots.

Posted November 28, 2012 link

No, Google is not down :)

But I unfortunately, don't have any of those near me... And local shops here don't sell that sort of thing.

I would need to order it online and have it shipped... Which is why I was asking if anyone had any experience with it first.....
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:43am

Consider checking out a single-serve site like singleservecoffeeforums.com. Nobody wants to talk about capsules here. Don't mean to be terse--just trying to save you time and energy!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:40am

I'll buck the trend and talk about them!

Most here are into better quality coffee than any single serve machine can provide. That is not to say that single serve machines are junk, they are designed and made for a different segment of the coffee world than we are here.

There are lots of advantages to them for general consumers.

There is not pot of coffee boiling away and burning on the warming plate or going rancid due to age since brew.

The user of these machines can change the end beverage served per person so not everyone is required to drink the same thing.

They are easy to use and there is little mess and cleanup with them.

The down side is that the capsules are expensive.

I have stayed in Hotels that had them in the room and so I have used the Kureg (sp?) single cup low volume brewers. The coffee is passable but not great by our standards. It is good enough though that when I travel and stay in Hotels that have them, I do not use my "travel coffee kit" of grinder, electric kettle and pour over single drip maker or my Aeropress. I accept the lower quality of coffee from the machine in exchange for less time on my part and ease of use, exactly what the machine was designed to do.

I find that they tend to brew on the cold side but then that tends to help the brewing of the stale coffee in the capsules.

They are not my first, second or even third choice of a way to brew coffee but they are better than going to the corner green coffee shop where I KNOW I will not like what they serve, at a high price and the hassle of driving to them in the first place. YMMV!

EDIT: OH BTW, I have only use the straight coffee or decaf capsules, never any of the flavored ones so I can't help you there.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 3:06pm

calblacksmith Said:

I'll buck the trend and talk about them!

me too

calblacksmith Said:

There are lots of advantages to them for general consumers.

They are easy to use and there is little mess and cleanup with them.

The down side is that the capsules are expensive.

I have some very good friends who own one.  When they tried coffee at my house for the first time, they were pretty gung ho about getting rid of it, but after they thought about it a bit, they decided to keep it.  Their reasons were...time, cleanup, counter space, convenience.  They still talk about moving into the world of real espresso, but so far aren't motivated enough.

calblacksmith Said:

...I have only use the straight coffee or decaf capsules, never any of the flavored ones so I can't help you there.

I've had several coffees at my friends' house (the ones above).  It's decent, but not even anywhere resembling what I make at home (even when I had my Silvia).

Also, I think the Nespresso frother does a decent job with the milk. I've been thinking of getting one to have at work. In fact, when we all went away for the weekend together last summer, I brought good coffee, a grinder and a presspot, and my friends brought their Nespresso frother, and we had acceptable, drinkable poor man's "lattes and cappuccinos".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 7:56am

Yes, it was mainly about the cost, and the other kinds of instant you can buy in stores are kind of ho hum.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go out and order it now. I do have a french press as well, but I wondered about this little toy as it's on TV all the time :D
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 9:15pm

lol....

I actually own one and love it. It's my daily driver so to speak just because as of right now, it still takes me a while to go through the motions to use my Classic. When I get up to go to class in the morning, I put some milk in my areoccino (the auto milk warmer/frother it came with, amazing) pick my pod and brew into my Contigo travel mug. My milk gets nice and steamy and im out the door.

Does is taste as good as doing it the "right" way? Nah. Is it bad? Nope. Its more than passable. Much better than the shops around here can sell me, and even with the extraordinarily high cost of the coffee (srs, I did the math...like $50 a lb, my morning latte comes out at around $0.95 a piece.

The pods aren't flavored, they are just different roast strengths and varieties. Unless you get these special ones they make a few times a year.

So yea, I love mine but see myself using it less and less as I get better using my Classic.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 8:50am
Subject: Re: Nestlé Nespresso

To begin with, it's spelled Nespresso.

Secondly, this is a bit of a "mea culpa."  Nespresso is better than I have previously stated on these pages.  

I have a relative who has some sort of Nespresso machine -- who knows or cares what model it is -- and more different types of capsules than I ever knew existed.  I recently stayed at his place for a few days, and it's the only coffee maker he has.  I found that I liked the Indriya and Ristretto best -- of the 5-6 types I tried.  (He had about 14 different kinds; who knew?)

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
MrBromeo

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 3:19pm

As someone who roasts his own coffee, grinds it in a cafe-quality grinder, and brews espresso in a double-hx plumbed-in rotary machine (or sometimes drip coffee in a Technivorm), one would think there'd be no place for something like Nespresso for me.

Fact is, I have an old D120 Nespresso machine at my hangar office, as well I've advised friends and family to go Nespresso for most applications. The machines heat up in under two minutes, take up very little counter space, and seem to be quite reliable, requiring little maintenance. Shots are consistently good... not excellent, but good enough for most people on most days. They are often better than the corner coffee shop. There is no need to invest in a decent grinder or bother with hunting down fresh roasted beans. The Aeroccino makes a smooth microfoam silently and automatically, though not quite the consistency necessary for latte art.

When looking at monthly/annual cost on home espresso making, not only is there the cost of equipment and maintenance (and upgrade-itis!), but there are also things to consider such as frequently obtaining fresh-roasted beans, storing and using them, and the occasional sink-shot where you just don't have the grinder dialed in... and there are always some grounds lost to the counter. Coffee isn't cheap, and I try to make sure I meter my bean roasting so I don't have to throw out stale beans, but it does happen.

My friends have found the Nespresso, while not as inexpensive as whole-bean, solves a lot of the variables so they can consistently enjoy decent shots with minimal fuss. For them, the alternative is either the corner coffee shop (expensive and sometimes sub-par), or a basic pressurized portafilter machine from the local department store with a blade grinder and stale three-month-old coffee that was in an open bag in the fridge.

The Lungo (long shot) capsules make a decent cup of black coffee. I have guests comment on that, and it's easy to accommodate leaded vs. decaf, etc.

Now, back to roasting another batch of Sweet Maria's Monkey Java Espresso Blend... mmmm!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Nestle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333271980286)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+