Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 33 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

sweaner Said:

The iCoffee looks interesting, but is a drip/pot brewer, not a single serve brewer like the Trifecta, Clover, etc.

barkingburro said:

And your point is...?

sweaner Said:

That it is a different class of machine, so why are we discussing it in this thread.

Posted September 9, 2013 link

Well, I just wanted to clarify what you consider makes the iCoffee a different class of machine.  Just because it can brew a full pot, the iCoffee shouldn't be considered a different class of machine for the purpose of discussing brew quality IF IT CAN ALSO BREW FOR INDIVIDUAL PORTIONS.

So, pending more info on the smallest quantity the iCoffee can brew, that leaves your statement that it is a drip brewer.  Do you consider the iCoffee a drip brewer and not a full immersion brewer?

Just asking.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 1:53pm

Best iCoffee review I've found so far.  Pretty much answers questions hinted-at above...

http://kitchenboy.net/blog/icoffee-machine-review/

- Michael
Happiest

Grinder: Vario-W
Drip: Pour over/melitta bamboo
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 9:26am

Can I ask if there are any of you MB owners who are using this machine in a commercial environment?

What gram ratios are you using? I noticed many have mentioned from 18.75<22g and I'm wondering if there are any users getting good results with smaller doses?
 View Profile Link to this post
abacus01

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 4:21pm

Happiest,
Why would any commercial establishment be using a home developed machine. This machine doesnt have nearly as many adjustments to the end product as the commercial machine. As a matter of fact they are night and day different. I have played with both.  The commercial machine is around 3000 bucks..compared to a 550 dollar unit. I guess its a fair question..but the coffee doesnt taste nearly as good as what i've sampled with the bunn trifecta commercial.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 6:28pm

I am not sure that I would consider the MB for a commercial setting, unless maybe you will only be making a small number of cups/day. If you plan on volume and want to do single serve, either get the commercial version, or do pour over.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:36am

abacus01 Said:

Happiest,
Why would any commercial establishment be using a home developed machine. This machine doesnt have nearly as many adjustments to the end product as the commercial machine. As a matter of fact they are night and day different. I have played with both.  The commercial machine is around 3000 bucks..compared to a 550 dollar unit. I guess its a fair question..but the coffee doesnt taste nearly as good as what i've sampled with the bunn trifecta commercial.

Posted September 12, 2013 link

Since you've already stated that you don't have the patience to dial-in the home trifecta, and you do not use fresh roasted coffee at home, I don't see how you are in any position to make such a comparative statement, even if the establishment that allowed you to "play with" the commercial machine also let you use your own coffee.  Your reluctance to give details earlier leads me to conclude that you probably are comparing some professional's choice of coffee, freshly roasted, on a commercial trifecta dialed-in according to the pro's observations and experience, with your own stale coffee on your home trifecta, not dialed-in.

For the record, the two trifectas are very capable of bringing out the best flavor in coffee.  How do I know? I own the MB and have dialed it in numerous times, while working with my local roaster to sample his best efforts on his commercial trifecta using the same fresh roast.  The major difference between the two is more precise control, some additional range in temperature and turbulence, and of course build quality, but not overall quality of flavor.  Your gross exaggeration is obviously not taking critical differences into account.

Abacus01, you can understand why I now doubt your authenticity.

- Michael
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 2:48pm
Subject: Travel Mug That Fits!

I just received this 16 oz travel mug. To my surprise, it fits under the MB with the drip tray removed. My prior one, a Contigo, did not fit.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
bunnrx

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 5:59pm
Subject: Water

Hello fellow Trifecta MB owners. I just purchased the unit and can't wait for it to come in. Yesterday evening I read through the whole thread! Lots of good info. Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide valuable information.

One question I do have is what people are using for water. Filtered water? Plain tap water? Mix? I do have a TDS tester and am wondering what is an acceptable hardness level for optimum flavor.

Thanks in advance!
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 7:39pm
Subject: Re: Water

Congrats, Art! I use Brita-filtered water. I know from using test strips that my TDS is below 100, and my alkalinity's fine, and the water tastes good, so I put a stop to geeking out further re: water.

pic: https://twitter.com/jbviau/status/349230677549518848
bunnrx

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 8:06pm
Subject: Re: Water

jbviau Said:

Congrats, Art! I use Brita-filtered water. I know from using test strips that my TDS is below 100, and my alkalinity's fine, and the water tastes good, so I put a stop to geeking out further re: water.

pic: https://twitter.com/jbviau/status/349230677549518848

Posted November 6, 2013 link

Thanks Joshua! That's what we have as well so I'll be trying that method.
showing page 33 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295424938202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+