Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 22 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
nachoslibres

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:32pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Socalsteve Said:

Replacing out the burr set is only 6 screws and the coarser grounds are far superior to even the coarsest setting on the Vario with the ceramic burrs...really glad I did it!

Posted February 25, 2013 link

I may go ahead and do that.  I went ahead and calibrated the Vario-W and it was adjusted to be too fine - you could hear the motor laboring even before I moved the macro slider all the way up.  Even with the new coarser setting I'm still having issue with the air leak it seems - which is unfortunate because I really don't want to have to send it in.  I'm moving at the end of this week and so I will likely call Bunn if the issues continue but will probably try a new roast in the meantime and see if a lighter roast resolves the problem as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
BOTR

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:06pm

So far my only dislike is cleaning the part that drops down into the brew chamber. Making sure that it is clean and ground free after each use. It's nothing major, but Im a strictler for clean equipment, and my grounds always end up all over it.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:13pm

^^^ You're probably making 12-oz. cups, right? I usually do 10 oz., and I've never had the problem you describe; I believe the two might be related.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 5:05am

BOTR Said:

So far my only dislike is cleaning the part that drops down into the brew chamber. Making sure that it is clean and ground free after each use. It's nothing major, but Im a strictler for clean equipment, and my grounds always end up all over it.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

I do 12 oz. brews exclusively and cleaning the shower head after each brew session is normal procedure for me. A damp paper towel folded in quarters easily wipes the brew chamber shelf and exit diverter and then a quick wipe of the shower head to get the bloom residue and coffee grounds off. This constant wiping of the shower head eventually pushes coffee "crud" up into those two screens which hold the two check valves. Every month or so I lower the panel that holds them and clean everything out well. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
BOTR

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 6:32am

It really wouldnt matter much in my case I dont think. Although I do run 12oz.

Im also roasting at home, so my grounds are always fresh. When the bloom starts it's almost inevitable that it will hit the top.

Again, not a real complaint, still LOVE the machine. And wiping it clean after every use is really not a big deal.
BOTR

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 10:45am

Does anyone else have water escape the heating chamber, and back into the visable resivoir when the pressure pushes the brew out?
BOTR

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 1:36pm

This happened when I was running some cleaner through it last night. Noticed it around the 4th brew in a row.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 2:43pm

If you always do 12 oz. brews, and even are careful filling the reservoir to only 12 oz (proper line), I find some will leak out during the tank heating for the next cycle. Doing a quick 8 oz. brew once in a while will remedy this. I'm thinking that the 12 oz. measurement line is not "exact" and over a few brews you are gradually  filling the tank past the 12 oz. capacity and the extra is boiled over into the reservoir (if it is in place) or all over the shelf and coaster, if not. Constant 12 oz brews on this machine is pushing it to it's limit. Grind must be right and careful attention to bean density. When I see the push-out phase straining a bit, I know I need to make the grind coarser to prevent a brew chamber seal leak. African coffees seem to be the most troublesome for me and the Trifecta. The wetted grinds seems to have a "snowball" clumping that easily occludes the filter and causes increased pressure in the brew chamber and the shower head seal to leak. I've learned to live with it, for I love the Trifecta and also 12 oz brews. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 2:57pm

Whoops, just read you post a little closer. Sound like you need to clean the two check valves in the shower head. Seems like the water inlet check valve is partially open (coffee grounds) and when the air enters the brew chamber to press out the coffee, air is also entering that partially opened valve and pushing water back through the heating tank and back into the reservoir. Common problem with fresh coffee, 12 oz brews and coffee crud infested check valves. Loosen the screw that hold the check valve cover plate on the underside of the shower head. Phillips screw head is probably full of coffee grounds and need to be cleaned a bit first. There is a small indent for your fingernail on the right edge of the plate to pry it loose/down. If the two check valves don't come out with the plate, grab them with your fingers and take them out of the shower head. Clean both well, along with the plate/screen holes and the two holes in the shower head that the valves actually press into. The valve with the black O-Ring (water inlet) goes in the right hole and the valve with the red O-ring (air inlet) goes in the left hole. I usually push the two check valves into their respective holes in the shower head first and then place the cover plate on and screw it in. This should solve your problem. Sorry for the first post, but there's probably some good info for you in there anyway. Take care!

Jim

AmandafromBUNN
AmandafromBUNN
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: I've tried a few :)
Drip: trifecta MB, My Cafe MCU
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 11:12am

Hi!
I work for BUNN and am the proud owner of a trifecta MB.  Hopefully I can learn more about brewing exceptional coffee with the group.  

Rusty Angell (former barista and our Field Correspondent) will be hosting a webinar next week that may be of interest.   Below are the details.  Hope to "see" you there.

Turbulence in Brewing
Join us for a Webinar on March 12
Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/733657024

How does the presence of turbulence differ from the strength of that turbulence? How can this affect my extractions? What about flavor development? This webinar will be a sort of "round table" discussion facilitated by Rusty Angell. We will cover many topics as well as have time for Q & A.

Title:
Turbulence in Brewing
Date:
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Time:
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM CDT

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.
System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Mac®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.6 or newer
Mobile attendees
Required: iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ phone or Android tablet
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 22 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311163187027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+