Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Pull (Tirra)?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 4:52pm
Subject: French Pull (Tirra)?

I've started playing with coffee making again.  I'm enjoying the french press, but one of the major issues I have is that there's not a way to easily get all the liquid out, and the extraction continues so long as the press sits.  Sometimes I'd like a 2nd cup, or a bit more, but if the press sits for a while it gets bitter.

In my thinking about it I thought I'd come up with a million dollar idea of a reverse french press where the plunger is pulled up and into the lid, stopping the extraction process and getting the grounds out of the way.  I even came up with a cool name:

The French Pull

I was going to talk to a friend about setting up a kickstarter before I did a google search on the term and found that there is such a device, the Tirra Coffee Maker:

http://cupofheaven.com/reviews.htm

Anyone have any experience with it?
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:21pm
Subject: Re: French Pull (Tirra)?

Hi. Nope, but here's some discussion from a while back: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:30pm

I've heard of the technique (French Pull) used with a regular press pot, but never tried it.

While not using a Pull, the funded Impress Coffee Brewer Kickstarter project has a similar approach for a single cup press where the grounds are pressed down into the base to stop the extraction.

Since I backed the Impress project, I'll be able to tell for myself sometime next year how well it works.  It looks like it might be a good solution for a single cup of coffee on the road.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 4:29am
Subject: .

roach56

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:50am

Looks interesting. The problem I've had with my cheap FP, the coffee cools too much for my liking after the 4 minute extraction. An insulated or better quality FP might help with temp loss.

CheapBastid Said:

I've started playing with coffee making again.  I'm enjoying the french press, but one of the major issues I have is that there's not a way to easily get all the liquid out, and the extraction continues so long as the press sits.  Sometimes I'd like a 2nd cup, or a bit more, but if the press sits for a while it gets bitter.

In my thinking about it I thought I'd come up with a million dollar idea of a reverse french press where the plunger is pulled up and into the lid, stopping the extraction process and getting the grounds out of the way.  I even came up with a cool name:

The French Pull

I was going to talk to a friend about setting up a kickstarter before I did a google search on the term and found that there is such a device, the Tirra Coffee Maker:

http://cupofheaven.com/reviews.htm

Anyone have any experience with it?

Posted December 3, 2012 link

CheapBastid

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:25am

The problem I've had with my cheap FP, the coffee cools too much for my liking after the 4 minute extraction. An insulated or better quality FP might help with temp loss.

I'm with you on that, and my (now torpedoed) invention was going to be a replacement 'pull' lid for a good insulated clear press like the CHAMBORD Double Wall (as I  like to watch).

=)
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:49pm

Of the two issues you have with normal french press, the Espro press provides a surprisingly good solution to the second. That is it seems to achieve such effective isolation of the grounds from the filtered coffee the coffee does not taste over extracted up to 45 minutes or an hour later.

This is probably because of the double basket mesh filters which are 8 to 12 times finer than a standard french press. Each mesh filter traps some sediment and I expect the thin layer of coffee liquid between the two filters provides further isolation.

The double walled stainless steel is also vacuum insulated to retain heat better than most of the completion.

Most of the coffee liquid can be extracted, but you probably don't want to drink it if you have waited awhile for you second or third cup. If the Espro press is tipped more than 90 degrees and short plunges are repeated, the liquid coffee from below the filter is expelled, almost like small squirts.
CheapBastid

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:53pm

I've looked at the Espro, but I still am saddened by all that liquid coffee that's sitting in the grounds.  I really love the idea of the grounds being suspended when you choose to stop the brew cycle, allowing the liquid to drip out.

I think Santa may have a Tirra in store for me, so I'll update you all on my experiences with it.
CheapBastid

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:02am

Well, it looks like they stopped making the Tirra a few years ago, and the only online seller that showed it available was incorrect.

Now looking at what I'm trying to accomplish (immersion brew with full liquid extraction and a halt to the brewing process), it sounds like I'm really looking for a Clever Coffee Dripper, Incred-a-brew, or BrewT.  All are plastic and that bums me out.

My dream device would be a glass insulated contraption with a gold filter.  I suppose I could cobble something together, but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 5:16am

Bonavita has a porcelain version of the Clever coming out soon.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272589206696)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+