Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Vince Fedele's NBC Talk
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vince Fedele's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Vince Fedele's NBC Talk

With a brewer like the Trifecta MB and the fact that during press-out phase, the air pressure seems to push every last drop of liquid into the cup, would the brew ratio be somewhat less than the +15% adjustment for infusion? Just wondering, because after all the visible liquid has been pressed out into the cup, there is a decent amount of time after that when air pressure is still exerted on the grounds (pump running and drips coming out) and then a final "air puff" that pushes out what little liquid is left under the filter screen. After knocking whatever grounds I can out of the brew chamber, I usually have to use the faucet sprayer to get the remaining grounds out.

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:52am
Subject: ...

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:59am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:17pm

It's perhaps worth mentioning that the absorption (A) that Netphilosopher is talking about differs from the liquid retained ratio (LRR) that VST uses.

LRR = A + y, where y = extraction yield (solubles in cup / initial coffee)

So LRR is roughly 0.2 greater than A.
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:41pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Here's an Espresso double Ristretto (2nd attempt)

Espresso Double Ristretto

C 15
S 0.098
Y 2
P 30
E 0.196

I captured 4.2g of stuff after the shot, then diluted to 10g total with water, and the strength of this concoction was 1.53% - or .153/4.2 = 3.64% when it came out of the machine, or about 37% of the strength of the shot.  So the strength of the coffee in the grounds during a full percolation is not exactly zero, but compared to the stuff in the cup, you can treat it as essentially zero.

Posted December 4, 2012 link

Hang on a second. If absorption is 1.1g/g in espresso, and the retained liquid is 3.64% TDS, then that's 0.6g of extracted solids unaccounted for. That's the difference between 19.6% extraction and 23.6% extraction! Am I wrong?
GlennV

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 4:11am

Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 6:05am

Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 6:46am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 9:21am

Lee_M Said:

Hang on a second. If absorption is 1.1g/g in espresso, and the retained liquid is 3.64% TDS, then that's 0.6g of extracted solids unaccounted for. That's the difference between 19.6% extraction and 23.6% extraction! Am I wrong?

Posted December 4, 2012 link

I think GlennV is correct. For the purposes of a percolation brew, it isn't extracted if it's still in the puck. The composition of solubles there is different than what is in the cup, so the traditional yield method of calculating extraction makes sense. In immersion brewing, where the solubles in the puck are virtually identical to what is in the cup, what's in the puck IS "extracted".

This is why it is reasonable to pretend that the retained liquid in a drip brew has solute concentration of zero.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:53am

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vince Fedele's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321521043777)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+