Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 20 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BillH
BillH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LeLit PL41TQ-PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Vac Pot: PITA
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB, Krups Moka...
Roaster: 'Elaine' Custom Diedrich...
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 4:07am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

redkiosk Said:

Actually, I don't think it has to do with the latch handle, for that stays put during the press-out. The shower head itself, seems to be spring-loaded a bit and during the press-out, just the shower heads tilts and lifts up. More so next to the brew chamber handle than next to the body of the brewer. During the press-out, I can take a flashlight and shine it in the space above the brew chamber's lip and see just the shower head slowing lifting, exposing the fins of the seal, one by one, until I hear a "pffft" and the press-out stops. Maybe the spring is fatigued and can no longer keep the shower head within the chamber under pressure. Only seems to happen with 12 oz cups, but that's all I ever brew, so is it is an issue. I'm sure Bunn will make everything well again. And since I'm in Illinois, I'm keeping my finger's crossed that my Trifecta's return from the mothership will be by Friday. I will update here on what they found. Take care!

Jim

Posted February 5, 2013 link

Funny that one of the two brew chambers I have does this on occasion. Never with the second one though.

Never did the flashlight thing though yet.
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 3:27pm

Just had a homecoming party for my Trifecta today and brewed up 12 oz. of Tonx Bolivian Juana Mamani Caranavi for everyone. Well, just me, the UPS driver couldn't wait :-).

Update to what they found was wrong with my Trifecta MB… ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I had a great conversation on Tuesday, with Amanda and Fred, Bunn's Trifecta engineer. They put it through all their testing procedures and it was operating exactly as it should. They even could tell me exactly how many brews were done, in my case, just under 1,200. My area of concern with the brew chamber not being able to hold the pressure at press-out was explained in great detail. They place a pressure gauge within the brew chamber and increase air pressure until the shower head seal leaks. Pressure within the brew chamber cannot be more than 4.5 psi for it to be UL approved. It is designed with enough play (spring) in the shower head, so if it goes over that pressure, the shower head will tilt/lift, expose the seal and leak out the air. Mine leaked at 4.5 psi, so no problem there.

We discussed what could be the problem, since it only happens with 12 oz brews, and came up with the obvious answer… size of the coffee grind. The grind size that I was using, must have been right on the edge of what is acceptable to keep the brew chamber from leaking with 12 oz brews. Depending on what coffee bean I was grinding, it's density, it's age past roasting, CO2 released or if I up-dosed slightly, it may have increased the pressure within the brew chamber, just enough to go over the "safety" threshold of 4.5 psi, resulting in the blow-by leak. My Baratza Preciso grind size stays pretty much fixed within the #25-26, F-G range, and I have not NOTICED that my grind size has gotten any smaller. I usually look at the grinds, checking for blatant inconsistent sizes, before dumping them into the chamber, but not specifically the size. I do clean my grinder a lot (removing the top burr, vacuuming, etc) usually whenever I switch coffee, which is every 12 oz -1 lb. Really can't see how that would change the grind setting as long as I returned it to my usual setting. Maybe my grinder's calibration screw was a little loose and the grind size decreased without me noticing it. I decided to pull apart the Preciso, set the calibration screw at the "fine side (right side) of the coarse adjustment slot" (There's a coarse slot, middle-range slot and a fine slot, with a range of adjustment within each slot), so I would have a solid reference point for future calibration checks.

Amanda and Fred sent me a reference sample of the grind size they recommend (probably ground on their G2 and it looked VERY consistent) for me to match on my Preciso. Use a 10x printer's loupe, I matched the size (now a #22F on my Preciso) and brewed up a 12 oz cup with no problem. Not the slightest lift of the shower head with the new grind size. I'm a happy camper and so will be the wife tomorrow morning.

For those wondering, the whole experience with Bunn was seamless. Amanda sent me a UPS prepaid label, so all I had to do was drop if off at the UPS Store. They worked on it the next day and then called me to discuss what they found, answered my many questions and suggested solutions to the problem. Even though it didn't need them, they replaced some of the seals, buttoned it up and got it out the next day. So, for me, only 3.5 days without the Trifecta. Not bad at all. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:54pm

redkiosk Said:

Amanda and Fred sent me a reference sample of the grind size they recommend (probably ground on their G2 and it looked VERY consistent) for me to match on my Preciso. Use a 10x printer's loupe, I matched the size (now a #22F on my Preciso) and brewed up a 12 oz cup with no problem. Not the slightest lift of the shower head with the new grind size. I'm a happy camper and so will be the wife tomorrow morning.

Jim

Posted February 7, 2013 link

Anyway you can post a pic of your correct grind?  I know the trifecta can accept a wide range of grinds but I just got my Vario-W today and think even at the coarsest setting it may still be a little fine.  Of course my last grinder sucked so my perception may be off.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 3:33am

nachoslibres Said:

Anyway you can post a pic of your correct grind?

Posted February 7, 2013 link

Nacholibres,

Just got up will but do so in a few hours. I even use the reference sample that Amanda and Fred sent me. Your Vaio-W should handle the grind size with no problem, but if needed, it can be calibrated for a coarser setting. Take care!

Jim

redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:13am

nacholibres,

Here ya' go, email me at my forum-listed email address and I can send you a much larger image. Take care!

Jim

redkiosk: grinds.jpg
(Click for larger image)

nachoslibres

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 8:19pm

redkiosk Said:

nacholibres,

Here ya' go, email me at my forum-listed email address and I can send you a much larger image. Take care!

Jim

Posted February 8, 2013 link

I think that's about what I get when I put the macro on the coarsest setting and the micro in the middle.  It seems like I get a little choking from the Trifecta when it is pressing out the coffee (before with my crappy grinder it would be a steady stream - you can tell the stream from the Vario chokes just a little - not stops - but isn't a straight steady stream).
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:55pm

nachoslibres Said:

I think that's about what I get when I put the macro on the coarsest setting and the micro in the middle.  It seems like I get a little choking from the Trifecta when it is pressing out the coffee (before with my crappy grinder it would be a steady stream - you can tell the stream from the Vario chokes just a little - not stops - but isn't a straight steady stream).

Do you have the steel Ditting burrs for your Vario? Supposedly they cure the "fines" issues...They are on back order from Baratza...can't wait to get mine when they come back in stock...
nachoslibres

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 4:58am

Socalsteve Said:

Do you have the steel Ditting burrs for your Vario? Supposedly they cure the "fines" issues...They are on back order from Baratza...can't wait to get mine when they come back in stock...

Not yet.  When I pulled the trigger on this grinder I just wanted it quick and then thought maybe the ceramic burrs would be good for when I do make the jump to espresso (which is a long ways off).  It seems now that it will be easier if once I make the jump I just buy a cheaper (but good) grinder (so likely a lower model Baratza) for my trifecta/french press and then use the Vario for espresso.

But, since that is a ways off (I'm thinking probably 2 years for me to save up for exactly what I want) I do plan on getting the steel burrs.  I am very impressed with this grinder but like you said - I did see a decent amount of dust/fines and that is probably what is affecting the stream when the coffee is pushed out.  Let us know how the metal burrs go - I don't plan on buying my set for another month or two.
DanH

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 7:32am

DanH Said:

I spoke to Amanda and she's going to send me a replacement reservoir and strainer.  I'm inclined to think it's not the reservoir, but it could be that the strainer is too fine or damaged in some way as to overly restrict water flow.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

I owe the group an update.  I was having a problem where my reservoir would sometimes not fully empty.  Amanda sent me a new reservoir just before Christmas and I haven't had the problem since.  Since I use my Trifecta every day I'm going to commit and say the problem is solved.   THis is not to say I'm not baffled as to why a new reservoir did the trick, but I'll take it!
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:27am

Glad the new reservoir did the trick. I'm willing to bet it was the holes in the strainer.

Further update on my Trifecta. Since receiving mine back from Bunn, I've noticed that the latch/shower head operates more like when it was new (somewhat tighter engagement). Amanda confirmed that Fred did do the shower head alignment procedure they perform on the Trifecta assembly line. She said they just wanted to make sure everything was working perfectly before sending it back. Once again, great customer service from Bunn.

Take care!

Jim

showing page 20 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36462521553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+