Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Vince Fedele's NBC Talk
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vince Fedele's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 7:33pm
Subject: Vince Fedele's NBC Talk

Does anyone have a working link to Vince's talk at this year's Nordic Barista Cup? James Hoffman's source seems to be dead: http://www.jimseven.com/2012/08/16/vince-fedeles-nbc-talk/
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 4:37am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Vince Fedele's NBC Talk

You can still download the PDF that has the slides: Click Here (nordicbaristacup.com)
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 2:31pm

The slides are still online, but I have a couple of questions for anyone who saw it.

1. The number for solute in liquid retained for drip is 0.0. That seems pretty incredible to me. Did Vince have any explanation of how this could be? If there are still unextracted solids in the grounds, it seems some would be extracted into the retained liquid. More generally, what was his explanation for the differences in solute in retained liquid between drip and infusion methods?

2. The liquid retained for both methods is 2g/g of coffee. Is this number going to hold for methods like Aeropress and syphon/vacuum, where air pressure forces liquid from the grounds? If not, will we need to recalculate dosage to account for differences in amount of liquid retained across infusion methods? E.g., maybe a press pot requires a 14% higher dose than drip to reach equivalent strength and extraction yield, but an Aeropress only requires 10%, once we account for the difference in the mass of the retained liquid.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 4:03pm

I didn't actually watch the entire thing as I found it a little boring. I wasn't hearing anything I hadn't heard before.

Lee_M Said:

The number for solute in liquid retained for drip is 0.0. That seems pretty incredible to me.

Posted December 3, 2012 link

I'm pretty certain that this is just meant to be a "good enough" approximation. Compared to the concentration in an immersion brew with drip it is effectively zero. The basic idea is that with drip you're continually washing away the solute, reducing the concentration over time, whereas with immersion you reach a maximum concentration and then simply drain some of this liquid away. That's not an exact description but it's close enough, and it's an improvement over treating immersion and drip as identical.

Lee_M Said:

The liquid retained for both methods is 2g/g of coffee. Is this number going to hold for methods like Aeropress and syphon/vacuum, where air pressure forces liquid from the grounds? If not, will we need to recalculate dosage to account for differences in amount of liquid retained across infusion methods? E.g., maybe a press pot requires a 14% higher dose than drip to reach equivalent strength and extraction yield, but an Aeropress only requires 10%, once we account for the difference in the mass of the retained liquid.

It won't be the same. I think the Mojo software allows you to enter a value.
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 4:29pm

That makes sense, thanks. Do you know how much liquid an Aeropress or syphon typically retains?
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:10pm

Lee_M Said:

...maybe a press pot requires a 14% higher dose than drip to reach equivalent strength and extraction yield, but an Aeropress only requires 10%, once we account for the difference in the mass of the retained liquid.

For immersion brewing, this only matters if you are topping up with hot water to achieve the same final volume of coffee. For a given extraction and brew ratio the strength in an immersion brew is independent of the amount of liquid retained. More liquid retained just means you have less coffee in the cup.

Lee_M Said:

That makes sense, thanks. Do you know how much liquid an Aeropress or syphon typically retains?

I don't have a vac pot, but in an Aeropress I've seen it vary between about 1.2 and 1.7 grams of water retained per gram of initial dry coffee.

This amount of variation is inconsequential from my viewpoint. Since I use ~20g of dry coffee it means the final coffee volume varies about +/- 1 teaspoon.
Lee_M
Lee_M

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:49pm

jpender Said:

For immersion brewing, this only matters if you are topping up with hot water to achieve the same final volume of coffee. For a given extraction and brew ratio the strength in an immersion brew is independent of the amount of liquid retained. More liquid retained just means you have less coffee in the cup.

Oh, I see. In terms of efficiency, then:

Assuming 20% extraction:
If Aeropress retains 1.5 g/g, it requires 74 grams of coffee per liter of 1.35 TDS brewed coffee
Standard infusion requires 76 grams of coffee per liter of 1.35 TDS brewed coffee
Drip requires 67 grams of coffee per liter of 1.35 TDS brewed coffee

Not a big efficiency gain for Aeropress, but it's something.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:14am

Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:18am

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vince Fedele's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334347009659)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+