Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
CAFETEIRA GLOBINHO
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > CAFETEIRA...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sumatraman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: No machine - Moka pot
Grinder: Breville
Vac Pot: Yama 5, Sunbeam 20A
Drip: Revere s. steel, phin, &...
Roaster: Rptisserie w/drum, aux air...
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:09am
Subject: CAFETEIRA GLOBINHO

I just received a caf. globinho vac pot from ebay. Haven't even opened it yet.
But, does anyone have any experience/tips in using it?

It's a table top with the simple burner underneath.
I know there's been discussion but simply - what fuel is the cleanest and at the same time gives a good flame?

And if I have a good flame - is it really that long to get to 'boil'?

Am I correct in assuming the flame can contact the underneath as long as there's liquid inside?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: CAFETEIRA GLOBINHO

It will take a long time for water to boil from cold in the pot using a spirit wick type burner.  The heat output of these is pretty low.  It's much faster if you put just boiled water into the pot from a stove-top or electric kettle.

I use denatured alcohol with my Cona D, but this is very weak and almost stalls for this large pot.  I used to use methylated spirits in the UK, with better results, but I don't know what the US equivalent fuel is.  Don't try paraffin or lamp oil - this is very smoky/sooty.  I've mostly given up on using it as a table-top and use the gas range instead.

The flame can contact the glass without trouble as long as there is some liquid in the bottom.  Other than that, you should follow the techniques and tips for other vacuum brewers, particularly ones with a similar volume, shape and filter type.
sumatraman

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 4:10pm

Thanks
I unpacked it and could get about 16oz. (.47 L) into it - but that almost filled  the bottom carafe.
I'll probably try 12oz.

I bought some Sterno - not the can but the container with the flip top.
But I have a feeling even that'll be too thick to wick up.

I might just take it back and try the denatured alc. instead -
unless the methylated spirits is better.
Is that what it's called in the US - anyone?
sumatraman

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 6:54pm

Well, found this on a web site -

"What is methylated spirits?

Also known as denatured alcohol, methylated spirits is for the most part just plain alcohol (ethyl alcohol). Yes, the alcohol that is in your favorite tipple! Around 90% of methylated spirits is ethanol; so itís incredibly strong.

The main additive is 10% methanol, but it may also include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone or other substances. These substances are added specifically to deter people from drinking it. Without it, you can imagine the social implications of having a cheap mood altering substance readily available.

The difference between the two alcohols is ethanol is made from grains, fruits and vegetables and methanol usually from wood stock.

WARNING: Do not attempt to drink methylated spirits. I did so on more than one occasion during my ďdark daysĒ and Iím very lucky to have survived it. They were awful experiences. Methanol can cause blindness, brain damage and death. While some people do drink it regularly, they are usually severely impaired after a while and others have died after their first try. Drinking as little as 10 ml of methanol (two teaspoons) can cause blindness."

Guess it's accurate.
Maybe if I use this it won't be too slow with the smaller amounts of coffee this thing makes.
I'd like to try it to see, then maybe do the pre-boil on a following brew.

When I bid on this vac pot I didn't know anything about the name brand.
Later I realized I won.  So I looked it up online and found I got a pretty good deal considering what they go for new.
(mine was used and needed a good cleaning)
I sudsed up the parts and used something like oxy-clean to soak the cloth filter in.
Looks fine now.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:41am

Ah, I suspected they were much the same thing, but I suspect the additions are different between the UK purple stuff (all meths is dyed purple in the UK) and the clear stuff I bought here.  Or maybe the wick in my burner is getting tired now.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:49am

dyqik Said:

I use denatured alcohol with my Cona D, but this is very weak and almost stalls for this large pot.  I used to use methylated spirits in the UK, with better results, but I don't know what the US equivalent fuel is.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

It's called Methyl Hydrate, up here in Canada it's 99.9% pure & I buy a US gallon size at Canadian Tire. It burns as hot as hell, almost invisibly & leaves absolutely no residue.

I have a pic here: "Re: How do i clean the yama carafe?"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:13pm

Chafing fuel (the jelly like stuff in the can, where you just take the lid off and light it) work fine.  Cheap and should be easily available.  NB - there are 2 types - ethyl alcohol based, and methyl alcohol based.  I *think* I've read somewhere the ethyl alcohol ones burn hotter, but that's the only type I've used anyway, so can't compare.

dyqik - they seem to work fine for the big Cona D too, and the can fits neatly into the cutout in the stand.
sumatraman

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:45am

Thanks for the input.
I tried it (about a week ago).
I got some denatured alc.

I believe I used about 12 oz water - and being new to this
I used the open flame out on a workbench in the garage.
I adjusted the wick up and got a decent flame underneath.
I was surprised that the water started going north in only about
6 or 7min. with the air temp in mid 40s (6-7 C).
Ground some coffee and just brewed it right out there.
Steep time 2-2.5 min.
It made a really good cup I think.

Haven't tried it again yet - been working during the
week so leave quickly in AM, and right now on Sunday I'm out of home roast.

I'm really glad I picked this brewer up - and hope to
have many a cup with it.
Love the look of it.
Levonese

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 7:32pm

HI - I own two Globinho coffee makers that I bought in Brazil (about 20 years ago!).  I just got one out recently and found I've broken one of the glass sleeves that you rest the upper globe and stem on after making coffee and separating the globes to pour. I've been looking on eBay, etc. and can't seem to find any Globinho's for sale in the US at the moment.  I just wanted to ask if you are not in love with it and/or don't really use it if you'd be interested in selling it I'd be happy to make you an offer.  I hope to go back to Brazil and expect I can pick up another one there, but I just wanted to ask in case its gathering dust for you. Either way, I'm also happy to provide any thoughts on my experience using it if that's helpful as well.  Many thanks.
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 11:31pm

https://loja.meucafegourmet.com.br/ . Get one shipped.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > CAFETEIRA...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29495215416)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+