Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Moka pot problem - first post
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JuanR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:02am
Subject: Moka pot problem - first post

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been referring to the site and the forum for some time now for all of my coffee questions.  I love the site and it's been an excellent resource, so thank you all for the expertise and opinions.

On to my reason for posting:  I have a Bialetti moka pot that I have been using for months with great results and no problems.  Last night I had the first problem; as I was washing it I noticed a small crack in the bottom part of the top chamber.  Just a small little crack in the aluminum finish.  I am concerned that this could be a serious problem, and have not been able to find any info on CG or anywhere else with a similar issue.

I use medium heat and either espresso grind or a little coarser.  Like I said, it brews fine with no issues and makes great coffee.  Has anyone had a similar problem, and do I need to stop using this one and get a new one?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:21pm
Subject: Re: Moka pot problem - first post

Welcome to CG, Juan.
Yes, about 35 years ago!!..I had an aluminum pot similar to yours, with what sounds like a similar crack.
My solution would be to retire it, and get a stainless steel pot. It will brew faster and sweeter, last longer, and look better.
There are several brands, some Italian, some not. Check out Amazon for different styles.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 6:24am

If it is just a crack in the finish it sounds cosmetic only.

I have Stainless and aluminum moka pots of various sizes, I personally feel aluminum makes a better pot then SS, aluminum heats faster since it transfer heat quicker and also cools quicker. SS is nice since it is easier to keep clean after many years especially the inside of the pot, all of my aluminum have oxidation inside and are getting pitted, I will take my SS pots camping and put it directly on hot coals (have to make sure not to melt the handle). When home if I want a cup of moka I am going to grab an aluminum pot over a SS pot and the last few years the 4 cup Brikka wins almost every time.
JuanR

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 7:39am

I have been meaning to get a SS version, just to see the difference.

The reason I would think the crack would not be just cosmetic is that it is in the inside of the chamber, where the brewed coffee collects.  All in all, neither of you seem terribly concerned; so I guess I will stick it out until I can get around to getting the SS version.

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218836069107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+