Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 241 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dmb8886

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:34am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Quick question regarding the Aeropress, just started using it recently it's much better than any home brewed coffee or french press than I've ever had by a mile.

I like Starbucks Italian Roast brewed coffee (I know most frown on starbucks).  So I had Starbucks grind my coffee for french press I think it was.  However it was too coarse for me and I was hoping for a bit more richness/boldness.  So the next time I had them do the "Turkish" grind setting.  Well this was a disaster.  The aeropress won't even work with it!  When I poured the water in and gave it a stir, it turned into a sludge and a paste, so when I went to plunge it there was too much pressure and no water would separate from the sludge!  To be honest, some did initially and I was able to get a little bit out of it playing around to make it work , but for the most part it wouldn't work and would not plunge all the way because there was too much pressure.

So anyway, does that mean the Aeropress doesn't work if you grind the coffee to fine?
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:38am

I've never tried "Turkish" grind, but I have found that really fine grinds can be a bit difficult if I'm pressing more than three scoops. That said, my experience, using the AP mostly with paper filters, is that the best results come with the grind as fine as is practical, and the time rather shorter than you'd think and temperature as Alan suggests it - 175-185. Not everyone here agrees, by a long shot.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dmb8886

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:43am

Thanks that reminds me of another point, I typically use the 4 shot/water level, so it was full of a LOT of grind.  So maybe if I had only done 2 it would have plunged easier?
John402052000

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:47am

I would go for an espresso grind, maybe a little coarser, and use a little less than two scoops. I mainly make espresso but I still make an Aeropress shot from time to time. When I do I set my grind to a slightly coarser setting than if I were making espresso. I also use two scoops of beans. A Turkish grind is definitely too fine.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:48am

That's been my experience.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:50pm

dmb8886 Said:

Quick question regarding the Aeropress, just started using it recently it's much better than any home brewed coffee or french press than I've ever had by a mile.

I like Starbucks Italian Roast brewed coffee (I know most frown on starbucks).  So I had Starbucks grind my coffee for french press I think it was.  However it was too coarse for me and I was hoping for a bit more richness/boldness.  So the next time I had them do the "Turkish" grind setting.  Well this was a disaster.  The aeropress won't even work with it!  When I poured the water in and gave it a stir, it turned into a sludge and a paste, so when I went to plunge it there was too much pressure and no water would separate from the sludge!  To be honest, some did initially and I was able to get a little bit out of it playing around to make it work , but for the most part it wouldn't work and would not plunge all the way because there was too much pressure.

So anyway, does that mean the Aeropress doesn't work if you grind the coffee to fine?

Posted November 21, 2012 link

Hi dmb8886,

Our instruction sheet recommends "fine drip grind".  My own preference is between drip and espresso for 2 or more scoops.  For a single scoop I've never found a grind that was too fine.  But you must push gently.  Because if you push hard the coffee compacts and blocks the flow.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:54pm

jpender Said:

The crazing on my Aeropress is deep enough that the plunger is slipping at that point because air is channeling through the crazing grooves.

Posted November 21, 2012 link

Hi jpender,

Please email me your mailing address, so I can send you a new chamber (and a seal too).

Best regards,

Alan
alan@aerobie.com
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:10pm

Hi All,

We just received a copy of The 4-Hour Chef by Timothy Ferriss - 660 pages.  

He and 2008 World Barista Champion Stephen Morrissey spent 48 hours testing coffee brewers.

He was very kind to the AeroPress which he said is, "bar none, my favorite brewing method".  He also included two pages of instruction on the inverted method.  He recommended not exceeding 180F water temp.

Best regards,

Alan
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 1:01pm

I've today managed to get my Kaffeologie S Filter into the same place as my Aeropress - initial impressions using it for a couple of cups with the following recipe are that it does significantly increase the body over the standard paper filters (even with an inverted method), that virtually no sediment gets past it, and that it's nicely robust and easy to handle, even when hot from brewing.  I'm going to have to amend my recipe a little for use with it, so this isn't the final word on it.

Recipe:
2 flat standard coffee scoops of Rao's Yirgacheffe, light roast (maybe 2 months old, from the local Wholefoods, and about FC to my eye), ground 1 step coarser than drip on Bodum Bistro conical burr grinder
Add coffee to inverted press (plunger inserted about 3-5mm into body)
Add water 30s off of boil (sea-level, measured at 94-95C on previous occasions) until bloom reaches top.
Stir in bloom.
Add water until remaining bloom reaches top.
Place cap and filter on top, steep for 2.5 minutes
Invert and press out.

I think I need to try slightly finer grind, shorter time and slightly cooler water next time.  Maybe 45-60s off of boil, and 2 minutes steep.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 3:15pm

dyqik Said:

ground 1 step coarser than drip on Bodum Bistro conical burr grinder

Posted November 27, 2012 link

This coarse a grind will produce a weaker cup.
We recommend 1 step finer than drip.

Best regards,

Alan
showing page 241 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378281116486)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+