Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Finanz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:45pm
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

I've had my technivorm for over 2 years and love it.
 View Profile Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 1:57pm

I have had a Technivorm for 3 years and I love it! It makes the morning coffee on weekdays when I have to get up and out! It's on auto pilot. I don't need to fiddle around adjusting. I know my roaster and I grind my beans the same way each time. I had to play around at first to get the quantity of beans and grind just right (I measure the weight on a digital scale that I accuracy check every 6 months), but, now it's all "automatic". I am sure that if I had a Brazen I would have had a few more variables to "sort out", but, on the whole I am "happy" with the Technivorm. It brews a great tasting cup of "joe". I am sure that the brazen would allow more variables, but, I am not willing to toss my Technivorm as I don't have the $$$ or counter space to compare 2 or more machines. The Technivorm gives a consistent temp (I check it from time to time with the Thermopen) and thus, a very consistent cup.

As to the efficacy of the review by Gail and her "partner-in-crime" (humor not a barb) I choose to view the videos from them as part of the decision making process not the final word. They have admitted from time to time that they aren't the only source of information. I find their videos helpful. But I also view other videos (e.g. the "Whole Latte Love" videos)

On the wekends, and when I feel the need to experiment, I play with the French Press. That's where the techniques come in to play (IMHO). Thermopen instant read thermometer timers etc. Pre-wets etc etc.

Alas, My espresso machine has "Ceased to be" (my apologies to Monty Python's Flying Circus). So as soon as I recover from replacing my grinder (also "ceased to be" lmao). I will buy a new espresso machine.

My experiments should then be more fun and numerous lol.

But, in closing, I think that there are always going to be devotees of each brand of machine. I believe that is why there are these forums for a discussion of the salient points of different machines.

And, I am sure that we all agree to disagree from time to time without personal attacks.

This forum has more good info than any other forum that I know of!

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee!

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 3:37pm

Dave, thanks for a very thoughtful posting.
I loved my technivorm, but as you say, ALAS, the carafe broke, and I decided to go another way...BunnSTX. Fun, fast, and overall pretty good.
The BraZen, however is in another league, but truth is, the TV, Bonavita, BraZen, etc go WAY above the ordinary Target coffee maker.
Hope to see more of your postings.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 5:09pm

this was posted on SweetMarias forum:

"The last 400 pots of coffee I've brewed have been with the Yama Coffee Siphon. I have it dialed in to a brew that everyone loves. Takes more time, mess, clean up, but hey, it is worth it. So when the Behmor Brazen came out (at a very reasonable price and a lot of great features) I wanted to give drip brew a shot. Didn't really think it would come that close and, at 6,000 feet altitude, a lot of variables.

Took me just a few pots to come as close as I think is possible. And I mean REAL close. It's awesome.

I use rinsed paper filters, coffee ground just a tad finer than Kosher salt, 1:20 pre-soak time, exactly the same amount of coffee I use in my siphon, 199 degrees brewing temperature (water boils at 200 degrees at my altitude) and voila! I am SOLD on this thing!

I cannot rave enough about the Brazen. Best purchase I've made - next to SM green coffee beans, of course."

YMMV
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 5:21pm

EricBNC Said:

You are in the unique position of having tried quite a few machines too. I would be interested in your take on the Brazen vs the Bunn Trifecta home - these machines are probably an "either or" choice for most since it would cost over $700 retail to try both. Since these represent a new level of built in "tweakabilty" (did I invent a new word?) for auto brewing your informed comments would be most welcome!

Posted November 23, 2012 link

I'm not jbviau, but I've had cups from other's Bunn Trifecta Home compared to a vac pot and cups from my own Brazen.  I don't really compare the Trifecta to the Brazen since one is by the cup and the other by the pot, but I think that they both make great coffee.  The home Trifecta doesn't have all the programmability and control of the commercial verison, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

I went with the Brazen because I have to supply four coffee drinkers with their morning cup.

I did recently try a Napoletana (Flip Pot) brewer and it was fun to play with and I loved the retro look, but not wild about the coffee it produced.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:44pm

I *am* jbviau, and I approve the above message! ;)

Right, it's not an easy comparison, but the Brazen does apparently have a manual release mode that you can use to brew a single cup. Sadly, I didn't get around to testing that mode when I had the chance with the GCBC road show unit because I was distracted by the road show Yama siphon that arrived the day before the Brazen did. First-world problems...

Here's what I've posted elsewhere:

Prior to [the Brazen's] arrival, it had been quite a while since I'd brewed a full pot of drip coffee. Consequently, I can't compare the Brazen to a Technivorm or really any other even-close-to-similar machine. However, I feel I can say the following with certainty:

- Temp. control makes a difference in the cup. For example, coffee that seemed borderline "too strong" to family members became much more to their liking when I did nothing else aside from knock a few degrees off of the brew temp. for pot #2.

- The Brazen makes good coffee. I wasn't getting the flavor separation I'm used to when brewing with the Trifecta MB (or a siphon), but I was happy enough with what I drank, and I'm certain I would have been able to do better if I'd fussed around even more with the various settings and possibly lightened up my doses; full-immersion-style habits die hard, you know?!

- The metal filter worked extremely well, in my opinion. *Very* little sediment makes it through the mesh. I didn't feel any urge to reach for a paper filter.
- Fairly intuitive controls.
- Looked better (and smaller) on the counter than I'd expected.

Dislikes:

- As documented elsewhere, the carafe is an issue. The first cup or two of a full pot pour well for me, but after that it's slow and dribbly. If I were to buy one of these for myself, I'd probably hope/try to use a different carafe altogether.
- Also well-documented: drippage post-basket removal. I could get used to this, but it's an annoyance.
- Noisy buttons. Beep beep beep beep beep.

In sum, if I were in the market for a drip brewer, despite the niggles pointed out above there's no doubt this would be #1 on my list. I might be tempted to take a "wait and see" approach though in case any updates are planned.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:11am

+1 yakster and jbviau! Thanks for sharing your informed impressions comparing these brewers. I like my vac pot coffee too even though I am new to this style. As for the Trifecta, I came away very impressed by this machine.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 2:52pm

For those of you using one of these 4 brewers (or any other auto drip brewer), what brew ratio to you use most often?

I go with the 60g per 1000mL ratio myself more often than not with the TV and Bonavita.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 7:55am

Best auto-drip in the world: the Braun KF-12 4-cup. Mine is going on 7 years, and brews the best cup (out the spout at 200 degrees through a gold mesh filter). Too bad they were discontinued back in '06.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:04am

Speaking of Brauns', our old KF-600 10-cup made a pretty good cup. Purchased it in 2006 and used it everyday up to this past May when I got the Trifecta MB. My daughter has it at college now and it's still brewing up a storm. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
showing page 11 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292717933655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+