Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Obsessive geeks who collect retro coffee stuff
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Obsessive geeks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 3:35pm
Subject: Obsessive geeks who collect retro coffee stuff

in reply to TheBigDripper in the thread "Best Auto Drip brewer on the market", who said:-

"I have two napoletanas, a Vietnamese coffee and a Dorobor cuptop, four dripolators...well, check out the other pics from that link. I get carried away on Ebay, buying those old things. And they all work. They give "making coffee" a more personal touch.

And, yes...I've seen the ones you spoke of...I've considered either a ceramic or glass (ruby, of course) one to add."

Cool ! never seen a glass one - or did I once on a Japanese website ? - they make all sorts of interesting glass beverage stuff we don't normally get in the west.  

I'm glad to meet a fellow obsessive, because mine has become glass vacuum brewers - specifically the very elegant Cona ones made variously in the UK, Germany and France in the 2nd half of the last century and up to present.

Now have 3 1/2 model "B'  (were 4, but an accident with the top part involving a pot of honey.....)
2 model "C"
2 model "D"
Electric and spirit heaters for all the above
2 1/2 "rex - 2 electric and 1 spirirt  (bottom glass and handle holder bust on the the third)
1 model "A" (just scored on ebay, and virtually unobtainable, so need to be extra careful with it).

Think it's about time to stop.  Running out of space.  They don't stack easily.

Have you seen also the classic french chrome drip makers from the '50s and '60's ?  Every French house had one.

I fear they could become the next "must haves"
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 5:23pm
Subject: Re: Obsessive geeks who collect retro coffee stuff

My old silex vacuum

CoffeeRoastersClub: vacuum.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 5:26pm

My napoletana

CoffeeRoastersClub: coffee-breaka-005.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 5:27pm

My old Zass wall grinder

CoffeeRoastersClub: zasswall.gif
(Click for larger image)

TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 9:10pm

I think I've seen the older French ones on a guy's website (he collects vac/siphon pots)...I, too, am running out of space (the 36-cup Faberware urn takes up way too much space).

I see a lot of the copper flip pots on Ebay...I was looking at a stoneware napoletana tonight that was tempting, but a little more than I wanted to pay. And what else would a retro-geek use but a Zassenhaus (I have two)? Love the wall mount...a real work of art, in my eyes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still lives in the past, so to speak. :)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 9:34pm

I also have an old nicro vacuum that I use every now and then.  It and the wall mount zass were given to me as a gift by my mother in law. I picked up the silex vacuum at an estate sale.  I also have a really beautiful old porcelain percolator (not a corning).

Len

yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 4:31pm

I found two Caffettiera Vesuvianas at the thrift store, but only one had the pot with it.  I keep one at work on the shelf as decoration, haven't tried making coffee with either of them.

yakster: IMAG0685-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 4:11am

yakster Said:

I found two Caffettiera Vesuvianas at the thrift store, but only one had the pot with it.  I keep one at work on the shelf as decoration, haven't tried making coffee with either of them.

Posted November 26, 2012 link

Somewhere in the attic there's a "Signor Salton" machine which is identical to that apart from the screw down stopper, and it also has a steam arm (can't see in the pic whether yours does or not).  I think was an attempt in the 60's/70's to emulate the original "Atomic" device.

I've been told that the jug isn't for coffee, but for frothing the milk.  Dunno whether that's right or not.

Has been used.  Makes moka pot type of stuff.  However, wasn't very well looked after and put away wet, so the inside of the boiler, being aluminium, looks very unappetising. Also the steam control knob has broken. I suspect they are better to show rather than use.

This isn't mine, but it's exactly the same (I hope the owner doesn't mind - copied from another public web forum) :-

__________: Salton.gif
(Click for larger image)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 5:29am

I found a Krups Artese 4 at a local thrift - probably overpaid ($10) but I liked all the controls and wanted to see if I could max out the machine's capabilities - makes an impressive brewer for non-ESE soft pod coffee actually - probably better at that than espresso.

Most information I find is from overseas for this model though, the ones I see over here in the US have what looks like only an on/off button for the pump and no programmable features - fully adjustable buttons galore and 1700 watts of thermoblock goodness here...

EricBNC: Artese 04.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 1:09pm
Subject: .

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Obsessive geeks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348980903625)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+