Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 240 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:54pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

cafedj Said:

Noticed this link in that thread to a write-up and review: Click Here (www.snobcoffery.com)

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Thanks CJ for that.
I did read that particular thread & searched when there on the HB forums for any & all info about the ss filters & the AeroPress in general too.

I just invert brewed two 10 oz cups earlier in the morning, & about 5 minutes ago just brewed three 10 oz topped up mugs.
My coffee was blooming like crazy, but I managed in three small 2 oz top ups of 210F water from the kettle & stirrings to mix & break/collapse down the bloom to a managable level & brewed @ 195F.

These were very good clean Colombian Supremo cups, but my guesstimated coarseness level from the 2 cup to the 3 cup grind was slightly too fine for the longer time I took (2 minutes)., so I'll open up the Preciso a few more clicks.

I love the AeroPress & I should of bought one years ago!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:16pm

CraigA Said:

My coffee was blooming like crazy, but I managed in three small 2 oz top ups of 210F water from the kettle & stirrings to mix & break/collapse down the bloom to a managable level & brewed @ 195F.

I love the AeroPress & I should of bought one years ago!

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Hi Craig,

You probably already know this, but bloom usually disappears with lower water temp.  

And of course all my tasters say that the brew tastes better with lower water temp.

I'm pleased that you like your AeroPress.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 1:29pm

Alan, with regards to the crazing, could inverted brewing lead to this? What about preheating the cylinder with boiling water?

The crazing on mine is coincident with where the seal supported the whole enchilada during an inverted brew (near the "4"). The plunger first stopped sealing in those first few centimeters just below this point. Could the crazing be a sign that the cylinder has widened slightly at the end due to stress?

AlanAdler Said:

One easy trick for a marginal seal is to run hot water over it, or immerse it in hot water for a few seconds just prior to pressing.  The hot water expands it and  lubricates it.

Posted November 15, 2012 link

Mine has gotten to the point where hot tap water isn't very effective anymore. But if I submerge it in boiling water just prior to plunging it works like it's brand new.
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:30pm

Hi Jpender,

Yes, what you suggest could be the cause.  I've never objected to people "hacking" the AeroPress procedure, but in fact the inverted method does stress it more than the normal method.

The plunger never even contacts hot water in the normal method.  During pressing it pushes air, then at the end it contacts the damp puck.

But I stand by my offer to replace parts if needed.

Best,

Alan
CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 5:41am

CraigA Said:

P.P.S. I just ordered & only found out about over on the HB forums yesterday Mon Nov 12th, a Kaffeologie S filter Tues Nov 13th at 11:45am. I'm set for life now lol! {;-)

Posted November 11, 2012 link

Thanks for alerting me to this new filter. I have both of the Coava filters, and surprisingly I prefer the original to the fine. Ordered the Kaffeologie yesterday and am looking forward to some experimentation with it.

Vince
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 9:41am

Great Vince!

CraigA: twothumbsup.jpg

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:18am

I just ordered the Kaffeologie, too.  I am looking forward to using it.

LMWDP # 010
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 4:24pm

Prof Said:

I just ordered the Kaffeologie, too.  I am looking forward to using it.

Posted November 18, 2012 link

Well, THAT was quick.  Turns out they're made here in Seattle, so one just showed up in my mailbox.  

Looks to be well-made and pretty sturdy.  I've only used it one time, and the coffee tasted fine.  More on that later.

The instructions show it being used in the Aeropress inverted method.  I guess the volume loss is greater than the filter for normal non-inverted use.

LMWDP # 010
sweepy

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 3:30am

My new plunger arrived today, thanks very much Alan
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:32am

AlanAdler Said:

Yes, what you suggest could be the cause.  I've never objected to people "hacking" the AeroPress procedure, but in fact the inverted method does stress it more than the normal method.

Posted November 17, 2012 link

I realized something yesterday that should have been obvious I suppose. The crazing on my Aeropress is deep enough that the plunger is slipping at that point because air is channeling through the crazing grooves. No matter how much I pre-warm the plunger this happens. I watched some bubbles of air and water sneak past at the bottom of the crazed area. This is only a minor issue with using the Aeropress -- it really only matters if the unit is filled really high or the bloom is very large (or if I try to use it inverted).

But the grooves also hold oils and coffee residue and are really difficult to clean. I need a toothbrush and a lot of time to scrub them. So I'm going to throw this 1.5 year old Aeropress into the recycle bin for that reason alone.

I'm still wondering exactly how the crazing occured. Physical, thermal, and/or chemical stress? Will it happen again with my next AP?
showing page 240 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429250955582)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+