Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press Inconsistency - Possibly the Grinder
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: French Press Inconsistency - Possibly the Grinder

EricBNC Said:

The OP's question asks an answer related to inconsistency, not adjust-ability of grind.

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Jeess, I did read all of Matts posts on HB & saw all the pics of the grind., don't know how I got so offside/misguided on that.., sorry!

There must be a broken lug in the grinds adjustment ring assembly somewhere. I've posted lots of pics of the mentioned rings, etc., here's one: "Re: Virtuoso Preciso Problem"  there's also 3 lugs on the outer ring burr holder that may be broken or cracked, the outer ring burr holder could be cracked also & flexing (I've seen that) allowing for excessive ring burr movement.

I know this is a pic & pics further down in that thread for the Precisio grinds adjustment ring assembly, but I can't find pics of the Virtuoso ring assembly but suffice to say check that all the lug/tabs are there.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DexD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 5:57pm

The grind consistency demonstrated by Matt isn't much of a consistency at all.  

But, I'm willing to believe it is a lemon -- I mean, nobody would praise the grinder as highly as Baratza is praised around here with that type of performance.  

So, the conversation turns to the obvious, whether a Baratza Virtuoso is meaningfully more consistent at a course range over the lesser priced Encore.  I can't find any information about this (particle distributions are nice, but I'd settle for some anecdotes at this point).  Going in the exact opposite direction (price and practicality wise), I'm wondering if I should simply wait out for an acceptably priced used bulk grinder.  Although I think my future wife would probably decide at that point that I've officially gone off to the deep end...
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:13pm

It's not quite what you asked for, but have you seen the comparison chart here? Interestingly, the Encore doesn't go quite as coarse, but I never use the coarsest settings for press-style coffee on my Preciso anyway (prefer to stay around 32). The Encore would probably be a fine choice.

By the way, re: that link, the folks at Prima are very responsive. You might consider asking them to compare the Encore's and Virtuoso's press grinds for you since they carry both.
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:16pm

I will open it up this weekend and look to make sure everything is OK.  The tabs are all there on the top burr and the black ring does not have any excessive movement that I have felt.
mwright

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 7:09am

I opened it up.  I did not see anything broken.  The only thing I noticed was that it was calibrated as coarse as it could be adjusted to.  I did notice that if you take the hopper off and you look down at the black ring there are two tabs on it.  It seems like those are normally at 12 and 6 oclock.  Mine are more offset than that.  Maybe that is the result of the calibration but I am not sure.
mwright

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 11:59am

Only thing I have noticed is it seems to do a little better on darker roasts.  That does not really help me because I like lighter roasts better but it was interesting none the less.
DexD

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:31pm

Update to my problem: not the grinder.  Yes, it's true, it remains a sub-par grinder, but I've honestly managed good results out of it.  Anyway: my thermometer was shot.  Since switching to the Bonavita PID kettle, zero issues.  I've tested my thermometer and it's often quite off.  Must have gone funny around the time I started getting inconsistent results.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:44pm

DexD Said:

Update to my problem: not the grinder. Anyway: my thermometer was shot. I've tested my thermometer and it's often quite off.  Must have gone funny around the time I started getting inconsistent results.

Posted November 19, 2012 link

Hi Dean, what thermometer were you using?, just curious..

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DexD

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 6:38pm

Thermometer information here. Only info I could find on it.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:02pm

Wow, thanks.

I have & use a lab grade mercury thermometer (41 YEARS OLD!) that I've had since my homebrewing days when I first started out in 1971 (16 years old!, & 57 now!! {:-O), a miracle I haven't broken it yet lol!!

I use it every day for my FP brewing.

It's always been super accurate.

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305106878281)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+