Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:36am
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

redkiosk Said:

Eric,

The stainless steel one on the right is the KF-600 and that's about the same coffee ratio were were using. You are correct about the SwissGold filter too. I miss it when we have a group of people over. Even though I can make the same amount of coffee, in the same period of time with my Trifecta MB and three brew chambers, I'm a slave to the brewer when I'd rather be sitting at the table with my guests. Take care!

Jim

Posted December 2, 2012 link

That one is one of my favorites - It does a great job making a pot of coffee - you take care too.

msboo Said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new, this is my first post.  I grew tired of so-so coffee so when my latest mass marketed w/universal guts brewer started making luke warm coffee I decided NOT run out to my nearest retail store.  Many times, even back in the 70s, I'd stand there looking at all different makes/models thinking "aren't they all just the same on the inside?"  Nov 16 I googled "copper heating element" in coffee brewers and my search/research began.  First discovered Kevin Sinnott's CoffeeCompanion site---Nov 12 article (his current A List) on coffee makers: Technivorm, Bonavita, Behmor Brazen, Bodem Bistro and Bunn Phase Brew--very informative, good start for me here.  THEN I found CoffeeGeek and couldn't stop reading.  By 11pm, Sun Nov 18, I decided on the Bonavita (although no copper element), placed the order and my new brewer was in my kitchen ready to go on Wed, Nov 21.  Of course I'm interested in/curious to try other brewers (especially Brazen) but for now I'm very happy drinking some great coffees---trying out different single origins and so on.  Love this Bonavita---easy, quick, small footprint.  Due to the small footprint....  leaves room for the burr grinder I'm now thinking about AND so it goes.

Yes, I made a fairly quick decision but had to make a purchase and was NOT going to repeat history.  Also went to my local roaster for quality coffee, buying enough fresh ground for 3-4 days at a time WHICH has now created the desire to buy beans and grind myself.  Looking at Baratza Preciso..  then maybe a scale?  I know about the Esatto to combine w/grinder--it's 12" long so not sure about space.  Their most expensive grinder has the scale integrated, therefore the ultimate spacesaver BUT $$$.  Kitchen real estate can be $$$ when weighing space vs how much more you can do in that small space with THE right appliance--once that appliance occupies that space the value increases BUT so does productivity.

Thanks to all of you here for your honest input---a great help and joy!

Posted December 2, 2012 link

The Baratza Encore or Virtuoso (not Virtuoso Preciso) will both work fine for auto drip brewing - glad to hear you are loving the Bonavita too!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:50pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, IMAWriter..  much appreciated.  

And thanks to mgWolf for the scale tip---I actually have an OXO that's within 1/8 oz accurate but would be nice to have something smaller that's accurate.  I'm currently within 59-62 g per 1.2 pot--measuring ground, not weighing, and so far so good.

Also thanks to Eric for grinder tip.. I'll continue using drip brewer for the most part but was a little concerned with better OA performance/results from Preciso after seeing (oops, here we go) SCG demo the Baratzas.  That being said, I never rely on any single source when researching.  The Preciso burrs are a step up from the other two but I'm always open to good advise before decisions made.  I'm checking out other other threads on grinders and scales---Sorry for the drift here, IMAWriter.

Hey...  w/Bonavita I saw someone remark how they turned it on for 1 min or so to pre-soak THEN turned off for how long (?) THEN back on to complete brewing---any comments appreciated.  I had very much considered getting Technivorm due to control on the filter basket but was impressed with better OA ground saturation results from Bonavita AND @ 1/2 the $$.  Some stir the slurry in their TVs while others don't--I could see myself becoming little OCD.

Becky
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:36pm

I had recently bought the Bonavita for the office and it is an absolute success!!!! everyone is happy with the simplicity and the small footprint. Now the best part, my officemates are coming up to me a saying that they definitely notice a difference in the cup! sweeeet! They notice the difference with good beans and they even notice the difference with some cheap supermarket beans that some of them buy. One workmate has decided to purchase one for his home.

I'm just stoked that they noticed the difference between the Bonavita and the random 30$ hardware store machine we had before. Feels good to nail the right purchase for the right environment.

Anyway, I'm not saying that this makes the Bonavita the best machine.... heck, I wouldn't have a clue because I have not tried the others (although I would be stoked to play with the Brazen, but that is because I like to play and tweak). But I do believe that it ranks up there as one of the better machines with bonus points on the price.
msboo

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 1:54pm

Hey JohnLyn,

What brand, blend or origin are you using in your Bonavita at the office?  Just wondering since I need a good crowd pleaser for Christmas brunch.

Thanks, Becky (luv my Bonavita too)
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:54pm

msboo Said:

Hey JohnLyn,

What brand, blend or origin are you using in your Bonavita at the office?  Just wondering since I need a good crowd pleaser for Christmas brunch.

Thanks, Becky (luv my Bonavita too)

Posted December 5, 2012 link

Actually, I have been roasting for the office and have been through a few single origins. recently I brought a Yirgacheffe back from Coava coffee in Portland. If I were you I would find a good local roaster and get something fresh. My office tends to appreciate ethiopian coffees.
msboo

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:02pm

Thanks, JohnLyn. I've been enjoying some Ethiopian I got from a local roaster, my favorite now. Tried blending it the other day with a little Colombian, was very good as well. Nice blend for the family Christmas morning.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas!
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 8:22pm

msboo Said:

Thanks, JohnLyn. I've been enjoying some Ethiopian I got from a local roaster, my favorite now. Tried blending it the other day with a little Colombian, was very good as well. Nice blend for the family Christmas morning.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas!

Posted December 17, 2012 link

my pleasure. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 9:17pm

The more I use them (rotating pots lately) the less I can tell the difference in the coffee from my TV and my Bonavita - both are making great coffee.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318086862564)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+