Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 76 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 2:14pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

cafedj Said:

What temp shows on the screen when you calibrate?  I'm at 250 ft altitude, and as I recall my calibration about 6 weeks ago showed 210.  Did it again today and it stopped at 208.  Just wondering if that's normal.  Thanks.

Posted January 1, 2013 link

I wonder if the current barometric pressure at the time of the calibration causes minor fluctuations in temp +/-
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 2:19pm

germantownrob Said:

I used the automatic brew for Christmas morning, go ahead recoil in horror and then roar with laughter. I was  up until 3am or so baking and getting the morning ready for the kids (2 & 5) who would be down the stairs by 6:30am so I ground my 3 day old roast, filled the reservoir, filled the basket,  set the brew time for 6am, and was able to walk down the stairs with the kids and pour a cup of Joe before they even had one present open.

I was so giddy over not having to be impatient about the brew cycle and with 15 adults and 8 kids due to arrive around noon I thought I could use this timer to my advantage. At 11:30 I brewed a pot and poured into a thermos, set up with a new brew on the timer to start in 30min, the thermos never ran dry for the next 8 hours, the bourbon did though.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

Guilty as charged here as well!
Actually, I just sent Joe an email thanking him for the inclusion of a feature i'd normally eschew like the plague.
For whatever reason, freshly ground coffee residing 5 hours in the filter basket prior to the brew cycle starting has made nary a DENT in my wife and daughter's enjoyment of their 5:30 AM morning brew, all while I sleep blissfully.
No grinder noise, nor early rising for THIS guy!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 2:24pm

....and just got the same result of 208 (also at 250). Curious question though..
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 2:49pm

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

....and just got the same result of 208 (also at 250). Curious question though..

Thanks for reply.  I did actually think about barometric pressure.  A little Googling located this chart:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html

Looks like 208 is equivalent to being at around 2000 ft altitude.   According to a weather web site the pressure at my location today is 29.94 and steady, which the chart indicates would give a boiling point of at least 212.  I'll go boil some water now and see what my digital thermometer says, although it's not calibrated so could be off as well.

I've emailed Behmor support and will see what they say.

(edit: Boiled some water and digital thermometer shows 210.  It shows my under tongue temp as 96.3 so it's probably about 2 deg low.  That would put the water boiling point at my location close to 212.)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 5:43pm

in terms of the timer, It doesn't get much use around here- tomorrow morning will be only the second time. I have a meeting at 7:00 AM, and about a 30 to 40 minute drive from home to get there. Normal waking time is around 6:45 to 7:00. Having the coffee ready at 6:00 so I can have a cup and something to eat before I go as well as a travel mug full without trying to focus the eyes enough to accurately pour water and measure coffee is a big plus in the wee hours. Like cruise control on acar, I rarely use it, but it's nice to have when I need it.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 9:18pm

Can somebody post a picture of the grind you are using for the Brazen? I have a Kitchenaid KPCG100 Burr grinder and don't know if I am using the preferred grind size. Or, if somebody has this grinder also, what is your setting?

Also, has anybody developed a database of preferred brewing temperatures for the different regions/countries of coffee origin? I have tried some searches but can't really find anything.

Thanks for your help.

P.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:27pm

I don't have that grinder but looking at the specs its seems maybe 4 1/2 to 6 may do it...you are looking for consistency of kosher salt (comparison)

I recommend using 204F as the benchmark. To be honest I have not ventured away from that temperature as it seems to give the perfect brew
cafedj

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 5:49pm

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

Behmor support says it's normal.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:04pm

When you go into calibration mode you essentially are telling the system to start fresh- not from a previously calibrated setting.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
cafedj

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:34am

tahoejoe Said:

When you go into calibration mode you essentially are telling the system to start fresh- not from a previously calibrated setting.

Posted January 2, 2013 link

That makes perfect sense.  What's not as obvious is why it would display 208 when I'm quite confident that water boils at very close to 212 in my location.  Does that mean it had drifted by 4 degrees?  My only concern was whether it's functioning as it should.
showing page 76 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342375993729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+